Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 wk old baby started throwing up last night. At first is was no big deal just like she was gagging. Today I noticed that she is hardly moving, depressed and not eating. She is not having diahrrea. I have been snuggling with her and she got off the couch and threw up again. This time it was the food she ate (very little) and smelled that feces. Last night had NO odor. She is feeling hot as in a fever. I am not thinking it is Parvo because we live on 2 acres and she stays close to home and has been immunized. Also we have 2 rescues 1 preg. and another that are just fine. A few weeks ago she was having bad skin issues but got her on antibiotics and benadryl and changed her food to Acana pacifica and shes been better just needing the hair to grow back. Now, the other 3 dogs at teh same time came down with something or ate something and had severe diahrrea but acted fine, ate fine etc.....never vomitting. The baby never got the diahrrea and was just fine. She doesnt wonder like the others. I have looked up things and saying that with the vomit smelling like feces its probably a intestine blockage. We do have a 1 yr old and she has been known to take his binky and run behind the couch without anyone knowing and the nipple be chewed off. I have called all the emergency vets and they are asking like $400 to bring her in. We dont have those finaces til Mon. I do not want her to be uncomfortable and am really scared not knowing what to do. The vets have all said if she gets bad take her to the animal control and have her put down. I dont know what to do. ANy ideas on how to make her more comfortable or PLEASE just anything. Thank you

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Even vaccinated dogs can get parvo or Carona virus. Parvo travels trough dirt so any one that comes to your house can have it on their shoes and bring it to your yard and in your house. If you can't get her to the vet till Monday, try to make sure she is taking in liquid by either drinking her self or you syringe feeding her some pedialight. There are many things it could be so getting her to the vet and having some one who can actually see her and properly evaluate the issue.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
agreed with american Pit. Parvo can be brought into your yard even by other animals , raccoons , squirrels, skunks other dogs ect. Dogs with parvo there vomit and feces really have a powerful odor its nasty. Is she able to keep liquids down or is that comming up? id worry about dehydration if she isnt keeping anything down , its the biggest thing that kills parvo pups. hydration is key, if there is a blockage that can be really serious too and I wouldnt wait till monday . Have you seen her go to the bathroom at all? if so when was the last time and was it normal? My litter of pups I had who got parvo out of the entire litter only one { that i seen } had diarreah the others where pretty solid atleast until they went into vet care. The snap test for parvo is about $50-$100 is there a vet that you can take her to tomorrow during normal office hours and get that done atleast? Or work out a payment plan with a vet put what you can down now and work with them till monday? { i know some are in real small citys and dont have alot of options but get on the phone and call around , find someone who can take her sooner who will understand the money situation and work it out}

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She made it through the night. Tried every vet possible last night in tears and no one would help.....anyway she slept with us. Got up 2x to vomitting but its a bright yellow. Thinking its stomach acid. On the way to the vet now!!!!thank u

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the diagnosis is Parvo....now what? They said they would give us antibiotics but we have a pregnant rescue and 2 other dogs.....

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Keep this one away from all of the other dogs at all times and you need to clean everything that it came in contact with with bleach.Did your vet tell you what all you need to do?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ya the iV will help. did they give you an anti nausea drug for her? that really helped my pups when they were vomiting. just make sure she stays hydrated really well if she wont drink on her own you will have to syringe it { reason why the IV will help , wont have to syringe as much} chicken broth or pedyalite will be better over water if she is drinking though , pedyalite will help balance those electrolyes she is losing so Id try that.
You will want to bleach everything today that she has come in contact with , floors, furniture , crates , the yard anywhere she has been and then keep her seperate from the rest. after 24 hours re bleach everything again. Its a 7 day virus so getting through the 1st few days are the worst .
Keep your head up I know how you are feeling right now Ithought the world was rashing down when i got the news my litter had it thought that was it they were all going to die But I didnt lose 1 pup. You pretty much have to treat each symptom as it comes up so with new symptoms contact the vet and ask if they can treat that issue { I left my pups at the vet so they could do that but it was pricey}.
If the other dogs are fully vaccinated they should be ok { they can still get parvo , but the risks are lower for adults who are vaccinated} Just keep an eye on them and the 1st sign of anything get them checked.

EDIT: for the bleach solution to clean its 1 part bleach to 30 parts water.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bleached everything working on the yard. quarantined her to the large bath. yes, 2 meds, wont keep them down. syringing pedialyte right now. shes miserable. we r taking shifts. all laundry bleaching etc.....i will not give up on her....we are fighting now!!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh and thank you for everything. my hubby went through her feces and saw worms....called vet said not to worry abt that now...thats the last of the concern

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
is she on iv? You may want to look into starting that today if she isnt keeping things down , see if the vet can show you how to give sub Q fluids to her it isnt that hard and some vets willshow you how to do that at home saving you some money.what meds is she on right now? the anti nausea one would be best if they could give that to her injectable vs orally id calland ask he vet about that see if they can.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
when was she last vaccinated ? and how many sets has she had done now?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
vaccinated 2 times. the did start iv at vet and sent us home with it. hubby was infantry in Army so hes fine with it. vet said only try anti nausea med right now to try to keep it down. they told hubby 100mg morning and night 2x a day. what else can i do? i feel helpless and she is struggling. how do i know if its not working and her body cant fight? i dont want her in pain but i dont to give up. sorry im in the bathroom holding her so she knows shes not alone

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
its pretty much just keeping her hydrated , glad hubby has experience that deff helps save some money rather then having to get the vet to do it all. We were told to syringe every 2 hours during the day and every 4 at night. You can check if they are dehydrated by pinching the skin { back by the withers is usually where i check but anywhere where the skin is tight , dont test where she has loose skin it wont bounce back} if the skin bounces back fast she is good if it sits up and takes a bit to come down she is dehydrated and id up the liquids. give a lil at a time though if she drinks on her own make sure she doesnt gulp a ton down or it will most likely just come back up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good news. Did IV and the nausea meds bewn down 15 min...hubbys finishing bleaching yard. Vet said hospitaluzation wouldnt do anything different than what,we can do. If she doesnt mske it she passes around all of,us.......

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
glad you were finally able to get the nausea meds to stay down ,hopefully its a lil easier now on her,just keep up with the nausea meds dont wait too long or you face the battle of getting them down again. keeping her in my thoughts for you.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts