Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I'm new to the forum and this may not be the appropriate place to post, but I just wanted to get it out there so if I'm wrong and another thread is appropriate, please let me know.

I know every city has more Pit Bulls than there are resources to help, but as a pit bull in an animal control facility, this is Babe's third chance and I'm afraid her last.

Babe was returned to the Rock Island County ACC (Rock Island, IL) about a month ago. She spent 7 months in the shelter the first time and during her stay, she was peacefully laying in the outdoor portion of her kennel run, which is adjacent to one of the exercise yards at the shelter, when another dog was out playing and Babe's foot was protruding from the bottom of her run and this male bit her and caused a pretty severe injury. She healed nicely but was never the same in the shelter.

Many volunteers walked her and played with her multiple times a day but her personality changed towards 3 volunteers, me being one of them. Being a dog trainer, I noted that her environment was causing her to become fearful and she would bark and growl for about 30-45 seconds when I approached (same with the other two volunteers). I was still able to get her out and she showed no agressive behavior one out of her run.

She was adopted out of AC under some later found questionable circumstances. Upon some follow up, she wasn't harmed but was recently returned to the shelter after about 6 weeks and her demeanor is back to the happy girl who first arrived. Since she is back to her normal self, AC doesn't want her to spend much time back on the floor for fear that she may once again regress. (update - she's been back about 8 weeks now and is already starting to show signs of severe stress)

Again, I know there are 1000 dogs every day trying to get into rescue, but Babe has already spent 7 months in a shelter and got a second chance. She doesn't get along with other animals but the entire AC staff and volunteer base wants to continue to see her happy. If anyone can find rescue and requires a temperment test to consider her, please let me know which test you prefer (if no preference, the CARAT assessment [Suzanne Clothier's relationship assessment tool] will be provided) and I can provide heavy details of her demeanor as well as video assessment if that helps. If there is anything specific that you would like to see, please ask and it will be done. I do have current videos and photos if you can help. My personal e-mail is [email protected]

Even if you have no room, do you have any other trainers or contacts that we could use to allow Babe to have every chance possible to find a new and loving home? She is already starting to regress quickly and I fear that she doesn't have much time left. I just can't bear to see a girl who was given chance after chance and spent a year in a shelter only succumb to a fate that many pits get after only a 10 day hold. Please help me make the last year of her hard life mean something and help me find her a home.

Thank you for your consideration.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Wish I had something that could help you, but all i can give is advise. working in the animal control field/shelter, i do see smoe dogs go "sideways". While we all fall for that one dog we feel we just have to save, there are times when we need to put our hearts aside and listen to our minds. If her new home didn't work out and she is again at the shelter, red flag one, and if she is again showing signs of aggression, it may be time to let her go. It is unfair to let her live in such mental stress, and with an unknown outlook.
Find a new dog to work with, fall in love with, and hopefully save. Keeping one dog who is obviously not in a good place mentally, and who may never find that forever home, is one more space that could be opened to a dog who wont have the issues this dog does and who could find a home, opening up said space for another.
While it is hard, sometimes you need to work for "the greater good", not just one dog.
This is only my opinion, and it may not be one people like, but i felt i should share it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Megz - Honestly, I totally share your opinion... Babe isn't back in the shelter due to anything she did and she should have never been adopted to the people she went home with in the first place but that is all dirty laundry that doesn't need details. I only mention this so you understand that it's not the red flag that it would otherwise be with a normal adoption.

As for the aggression, it's only with 3 out of the 15 that work with her on a daily basis and the 3 of us can give her treats and then she's fine. Not discounting the fact that she exhibits the behavior...just odd that it's only with three specific people. Plus she's never done more than growl or she would certainly not still be around.

But your comment about her living in mental stress is right on the money. I do believe that it's not there yet but quickly headed in that direction which is why I sent out the plea. The entire shelter staff and volunteer base agrees that we cannot let her get to the place that she was in before she was adopted. It's not fair to her to let her live like that. So if anyone out there has any rescue contacts that could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I'm sorry you are in this position. Hundreds of dogs every day, many with no issues, many able to withstand stress. The broken ones are no less deserving, there just aren't resources. Not with hundreds of new puppies flooding the picture every day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts