Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the pitbull world and have been looking for a puppy for a few weeks now and am sooo confused. Are these bully style pits really APBTs? They looks so huge! How can I find a true reputable breeder that won't take my money and leave me high and dry? Any information on where to find a real APBT puppy would be so appreciated/

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
There are no bully style pits. There are American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and American Bullies. You are probably referring to American Bullies.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
there are american pit bul terriers and american bullys Im assuming the people advertising bully pits are actually talking about american bullys. To learn about them you can read up in the bully 101 section or look up the ABKC and it gives a good description of each class of american bullys { there are 5 classes of bullys} but yes they are usually larger then the APBT are thicker and depending on the class can be extrmemly short like the pockets or can be fairly tall. It can be confusing cause both can be registred with the UKC or ADBA although the bullys dont usually conform to those registry standards. Ontop of that alot of bully breeders will breed and sell pups as APBT's and thus confusing the buyers to what they have. The best bet is to look at the pedigree thats really the only way to tell what you have. Id research some bloodlines , take a look around the forum find what you like ask the owners what there dogs are bloodline wise and maybe they can refer to the breeder they got them from or we can help narrow down to breeders who breed to your liking. Another option is check out some local shows { i know up here show season is kinda done , but some areas have some going on otherwise spring time they pick back up}. Mind you if this is your 1st APBT Id research them alot and make sure its something you are prepared to take on they can be alot of dog even though they arent as big as the bullys , they can be really high strung and need daily exercise.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
.. For those who think they want an APBT.. I would say a bull terrier is more the lines you want to start with.. However because times have changed and have added the American Bully which is a companion dog designed from the loyal characteristics of the APBT with out the intensity; my best explaination as they are kick downs from APBTs and AMStaffs alike, and well the English Staff is actually the source of it all if we go back far enough even the irish dog came from England originally.. English Staffies have some go for a 30lbs dog and may be the choice for you. I wouldnt tell any one to jump out and get an APBT from traditional lines unless they've had some kind of high end dog before.

Alot of people here with experience with both.

Im going to reffer you to Mach0 and let him show you his UKC dog that is considered a bully even though its not registered in the ABKC because of his line and herritage. He turned his "Bully" into a very fine specimen and now feels ready to get an APBT. Does that makes sense? Being that he's closer to your step than I am I feel he'll have more to offer you in the sense of teaching and not lecturing. :D

A true APBT is a working dog all the way through; a dog that needs a working purpose, and will test animals and some people (depending on dog and strain) and need an owner whos ready for the accountability of a working dog like an APBT.

:welcome: to Gopitbull.com!

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Since you are new to the scene, I would recommend adopting or buying a bully, staffy bull, bull terrier, or amstaff. These are working dogs and I STRONGLY BELIEVE require an experienced handler. Its like getting a corvette as your first car. Learn to drive :) These are awesome dogs but they aren't for the average owner, especially a new owner. A real apbt is a proven dog. Otherwise, they are just bulldogs. A hand few of ppl have real apbt's but you'd be hard pressed to find one and they don't give or sell to rookies. What is it that you are looking for ? A pet ? Or a sporting dog? Very very few of us have need for a working dog. If you don't want an over done dog, you can find a ukc show bred dog, staffy bull or amstaff. Get your feet wet and decide what it is that suits you best. It will be your dog but your dog will only give you back what you give it :) Good luck.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Since you are new to the scene, I would recommend adopting or buying a bully, staffy bull, bull terrier, or amstaff. These are working dogs and I STRONGLY BELIEVE require an experienced handler. Its like getting a corvette as your first car. Learn to drive :) These are awesome dogs but they aren't for the average owner, especially a new owner. A real apbt is a proven dog. Otherwise, they are just bulldogs. A hand few of ppl have real apbt's but you'd be hard pressed to find one and they don't give or sell to rookies. What is it that you are looking for ? A pet ? Or a sporting dog? Very very few of us have need for a working dog. If you don't want an over done dog, you can find a ukc show bred dog, staffy bull or amstaff. Get your feet wet and decide what it is that suits you best. It will be your dog but your dog will only give you back what you give it :) Good luck.
:stupid: Hahaha! JK .. there it is... :goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Welcome to the forum ... First of all when you say you want a real APBT you do realize you are referring to a game bred dog. I can tell you that starting out with staff's myself there is a very big difference in an APBT vs a Show bred dog. Most people really can't handle an APBT especially not for their first time around the block. An APBT/Game bred dog is a very high strung animal requiring a lot of work and most of these dogs are highly dog aggressive and will go after anything on 4 legs and kill it. They do best with people who are willing to work them on hog's or in performance sports like shutzhund where they can be constantly challenged as these dog's have serious drive that can be channeled on many different levels depending on how you are working them. Normally we do not recommend a newbie to a game bred/performance bred dog. How man real APBT's have you actually owned and cared for? And why do you want an APBT? What has drawn you to select this breed out of the many other's out there? If you have never owned a game bred APBT I wouldn't suggest trying to jump the wagon you should crawl before you walk so to speak. Maybe start off with a show bred/staff like a lot of us did and you can move your way up once you have gotten a taste of working with the breed's cousin who is a bit tamer and easier to work with but shares a lot of the same qualities we all enjoy such as loyalty and willingness to please their owners.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
.. For those who think they want an APBT.. I would say a bull terrier is more the lines you want to start with.. However because times have changed and have added the American Bully which is a companion dog designed from the loyal characteristics of the APBT with out the intensity; my best explaination as they are kick downs from APBTs and AMStaffs alike, and well the English Staff is actually the source of it all if we go back far enough even the irish dog came from England originally.. English Staffies have some go for a 30lbs dog and may be the choice for you. I wouldnt tell any one to jump out and get an APBT from traditional lines unless they've had some kind of high end dog before.

Alot of people here with experience with both.

Im going to reffer you to Mach0 and let him show you his UKC dog that is considered a bully even though its not registered in the ABKC because of his line and herritage. He turned his "Bully" into a very fine specimen and now feels ready to get an APBT. Does that makes sense? Being that he's closer to your step than I am I feel he'll have more to offer you in the sense of teaching and not lecturing. :D

A true APBT is a working dog all the way through; a dog that needs a working purpose, and will test animals and some people (depending on dog and strain) and need an owner whos ready for the accountability of a working dog like an APBT.

:welcome: to Gopitbull.com!
Exactly! Those that think they want an APBT really don't, not that many people need a dog bred down from fighting heritage.. Not that many people need a high drive, eager working dog as well.. If you don't have use for a working dog (legally) than don't own one.. Thats all there is to it.
Excellent posting as well!

At any rate welcome to GP!

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Welcome to the forum ... First of all when you say you want a real APBT you do realize you are referring to a game bred dog. I can tell you that starting out with staff's myself there is a very big difference in an APBT vs a Show bred dog. Most people really can't handle an APBT especially not for their first time around the block. An APBT/Game bred dog is a very high strung animal requiring a lot of work and most of these dogs are highly dog aggressive and will go after anything on 4 legs and kill it. They do best with people who are willing to work them on hog's or in performance sports like shutzhund where they can be constantly challenged as these dog's have serious drive that can be channeled on many different levels depending on how you are working them. Normally we do not recommend a newbie to a game bred/performance bred dog. How man real APBT's have you actually owned and cared for? And why do you want an APBT? What has drawn you to select this breed out of the many other's out there? If you have never owned a game bred APBT I wouldn't suggest trying to jump the wagon you should crawl before you walk so to speak. Maybe start off with a show bred/staff like a lot of us did and you can move your way up once you have gotten a taste of working with the breed's cousin who is a bit tamer and easier to work with but shares a lot of the same qualities we all enjoy such as loyalty and willingness to please their owners.
:cheers::goodpost: another great viewpoint!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all so much. This is really helping to educate me. I want a pet. I agree with you that I am not ready for a working dog. While I am very active I am not knowledgeable or trained to satisfy a dog of that nature. I love the size, temperment, and coat (ie not a hairy shedding dog). I had a rottweiler for 8 years and he recently died of bone cancer. I wanted a smaller dog this time but not too small. A friend of mine rescued what I just know to be called a "pit bull". He is a wonderful pet with a great disposition, looked like Daddy on the Dog Whisperer. I have been researching to make sure I make the right decision for the dog to be happy in my home. To my surprise there was a lot of discussion/argument about what is a real pit and what is a mutt and there were some disturbing comments about bully style pits being bred too big and now I am really confused. Some of these dogs cost $5000.00 and some cost $700.00. I just wanted a pit bull I thought....

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Just go to a local rescue group and adopt one if you're just looking for a pet bull. It's much cheaper and you're likely saving a dog from death row that way.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Just go to a local rescue group and adopt one if you're just looking for a pet bull. It's much cheaper and you're likely saving a dog from death row that way.
:goodpost:

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
The answer to your question is no. There is no such thing as a bully style APBT. People who advertise as such are most likely breeding American Bullies.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
you kind of need to give examples of the places you are looking at, the reason the prices are so different depend on so many things. Sometimes even to make you think your getting more because you are paying more. AmBully's are nice, but some not so nice just like all breeds. They are a relatively new breed so you have people who try to market them as APBT for the name when they are their own breed of dog. Bully style APBT are American Bully's as KG said above.

I also agree, there are some APBT rescue groups, or AMstaff, etc that you could look at, especially if your pup is going to be a pet. You don't need to spend all that IMO for a pet only when there are many pure breed rescues (not just this breed) that are looking for adopters.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Rescuing a dog is great and all, but I see no problem with buying a dog from someone that has papers and is registered. If you buy from the right breeder i.e. not a BYB they can tell you about the blood behind the dog. I personally will never rescue because I want to know where my dog comes from for many reasons but that is neither here nor there. To the OP.... American Bullies are great dogs for a family with children as they are show dogs and their intent was companionship. If you visit the Bullies 101 section there is a lot of information regarding the American Bully and the ABKC. Click here to visit the Bullies 101 section. Bullies are generally more laid back than the APBT and some view that as a good thing, some view that as a bad thing soooo it is all about what kind of dog is right for you and fits your lifestyle.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Rescuing a dog is great and all, but I see no problem with buying a dog from someone that has papers and is registered. If you buy from the right breeder i.e. not a BYB they can tell you about the blood behind the dog. I personally will never rescue because I want to know where my dog comes from for many reasons but that is neither here nor there
Totally no problem with anyone buying one either, I would just always try and rescue before spending huge amounts of money if its "just" a pet. Thankfully there are good breeders who don't try to make a bunch of money if you have a good home to provide, especially for a pet.

Also, there are plenty of dogs surrendered with papers so you can totally know where they come from. That way it would ease people's mind if that's what was cared about as well. Plenty of pure breed dogs (even some that are not from BYB get surrendered) even if the breeder has asked for them to be returned before hand. So papers could be provided with rescue dogs too.

Reactions: Black Rabbit

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Buy vs adopt debate will continue until the end of time.. If you are looking for a potential great family pet but expect nothing more or nothing less, look into a rescue that temperament tests that knows enough about the breed they "specialize" in rescuing to give you the best possible foundation for good ownership.. If you are looking for a working dog, (i.e hunting, personal protection, patrol, herding, etc) a hound to do well in sports, (i.e fly ball, schutzhund) or looking for a show dog that has a sound structure for the breed.. Than you need to look at a proper breeder..

Most people think they want an APBT but have no idea of actual temperament, drive, etc.. When someone sees a dog with true drive.. They either get scared, can't handle the dog, etc.. Thats where the problem is.. Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and American Bullies would make excellent hounds that in essence are more "watered down" breeds by comparison.. At least in todays breedings if you are looking at both the possibility of sport/show with the added bonus of a great family pet.

Now as for the "Bully style".. No.. There is no such thing as a "bully type" APBT.. Theres only one "type" and thats whats true to the breed. These dogs are working dogs therefore there are excellent examples of the breed out there that may not fit into the breed standard.. Typically 30 - 50lbs on "average" weight wise, however there are 70lbs+ whoppers out there. Anything larger than 70 - 80lbs is really pushing more into Bandog territory.. However thats another subject all together.

You need to evaluate why you want the breed you do and what your lifestyle can offer the hound in return.. Not everyone needs a dog down from game dogs/fighting dogs/bull baiters/what have you.. Not to say if you have a need you are doing anything illegal with them but they are a dog breed that needs to be worked.. They have that instilled in their genes..

Also if you so choose to rescue or go through a breeder, don't make the mistake in believing its "all in how you raise them", going to puppy parks, etc... If you believe either is good than i strongly consider holding off and doing your research, getting together with a mentor to help guide you through and encourage a proper education vs what you heard or what those that think they know tell you.

If it all seems to be too much, theres a reason for that. If you have the funds and really want a dog i am happy for you and wish you well.. But these dogs are not for everyone and i would rather have someone discouraged rather than go unprepared.. The breed can't take many more hits and negative press and its best to take these dogs back to the handlers in which they belong.. By that meaning handlers/owners who are responsible, understand the dogs and continue to give them a purpose vs. doing squat with them.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Buy vs adopt debate will continue until the end of time.. If you are looking for a potential great family pet but expect nothing more or nothing less, look into a rescue that temperament tests that knows enough about the breed they "specialize" in rescuing to give you the best possible foundation for good ownership.. If you are looking for a working dog, (i.e hunting, personal protection, patrol, herding, etc) a hound to do well in sports, (i.e fly ball, schutzhund) or looking for a show dog that has a sound structure for the breed.. Than you need to look at a proper breeder..

Most people think they want an APBT but have no idea of actual temperament, drive, etc.. When someone sees a dog with true drive.. They either get scared, can't handle the dog, etc.. Thats where the problem is.. Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and American Bullies would make excellent hounds that in essence are more "watered down" breeds by comparison.. At least in todays breedings if you are looking at both the possibility of sport/show with the added bonus of a great family pet.

Now as for the "Bully style".. No.. There is no such thing as a "bully type" APBT.. Theres only one "type" and thats whats true to the breed. These dogs are working dogs therefore there are excellent examples of the breed out there that may not fit into the breed standard.. Typically 30 - 50lbs on "average" weight wise, however there are 70lbs+ whoppers out there. Anything larger than 70 - 80lbs is really pushing more into Bandog territory.. However thats another subject all together.

You need to evaluate why you want the breed you do and what your lifestyle can offer the hound in return.. Not everyone needs a dog down from game dogs/fighting dogs/bull baiters/what have you.. Not to say if you have a need you are doing anything illegal with them but they are a dog breed that needs to be worked.. They have that instilled in their genes..

Also if you so choose to rescue or go through a breeder, don't make the mistake in believing its "all in how you raise them", going to puppy parks, etc... If you believe either is good than i strongly consider holding off and doing your research, getting together with a mentor to help guide you through and encourage a proper education vs what you heard or what those that think they know tell you.

If it all seems to be too much, theres a reason for that. If you have the funds and really want a dog i am happy for you and wish you well.. But these dogs are not for everyone and i would rather have someone discouraged rather than go unprepared.. The breed can't take many more hits and negative press and its best to take these dogs back to the handlers in which they belong.. By that meaning handlers/owners who are responsible, understand the dogs and continue to give them a purpose vs. doing squat with them.
Word.....:goodpost:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts