Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I absolutely love my pitbull and my pitmix but they fight once every two months at least. And they fight because of something small like my nephews being loud or basically any ruff housing. Please understand that we are constantly working with them, training, crating.
They are both mail. Both fixed. They have no toys and are fed spacifically so that they are seperate, my oldest, 4, is fed first, and I make him sit first. My full pit is the youngest at 2 years old and is fed second in a differant room and also made to sit. I try to work them, walk them, exercise them so they are less aggressive. Honestly the arn't aggressive often. Only when they are both being walked and see a dog, or when my house gets abruptly loud with children being rambunctious. They never fight to kill, but they latch on to each others faces and will not let go until both are too tired to go on.
What else can I do? I don't want to have to get rid of them for fear they wont go to somewhere they need to go. Please Help!!!

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
crate and rotate, never leave them together.. one day the fight will end w/ one of them being dead and the other severely injured most likely

Reactions: aus_staffy

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
This breed is naturally dog aggressive and you can't train it out of them but it can be managed. Sounds like you need to crate and rotate and stick with it or you are going to have a blood bath on your hands. Two males in the same home isn't the best idea unless you know what you are in for and have the proper containment or kennel setup. If you don't take precautions now and listen to the advice you are given then you may come home someday to a dead dog or badly injured dogs. I hope when you are NOT home you keep them crated separately and that they are NEVER left unattended without you being around.

Reactions: aus_staffy

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
crate and rotate, never leave them together.. one day the fight will end w/ one of them being dead and the other severely injured most likely
:goodpost::goodpost:

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
This breed is naturally dog aggressive and you can't train it out of them but it can be managed. Sounds like you need to crate and rotate and stick with it or you are going to have a blood bath on your hands. Two males in the same home isn't the best idea unless you know what you are in for and have the proper containment or kennel setup. If you don't take precautions now and listen to the advice you are given then you may come home someday to a dead dog or badly injured dogs. I hope when you are NOT home you keep them crated separately and that they are NEVER left unattended without you being around.
:goodpost: ^^Pretty much this^^ It sounds like you're taking some of the right steps but I think you need to realise that this is not just a passing phase. You shouldn't need to get rid of either of them if you're sensible. There are other members on here who have two same sex dogs in the same house but they take precautions.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
:goodpost:

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts

AS a trainer I get calls like this all the time..... pit bulls especially males are not dogs that do well living with other dogs. If you truly love them both you will separate them or you will end up with a dead dog. Many of us own multiple pit bulls and 9 time out of 10 they are separated from each other. I have about 20 right now and none of them live together.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
every ones said everything that needs to be said... :goodpost: if you really care about your dogs you'll crate and rotate like every ones said.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
What everyone else said, Dog Aggressive breed, crate and rotate.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
things to think about

1 never trust a bulldog not to fight
2 dont set your dogs up for failure
3 avoid the triggers. you already know what they are.
4 dog on dog aggression is easily controlled by keepimg them seperate. anything else is a gamble.
5 crate and rotate, no pitbull ever died from not having doggy friends.
crate and rotate is something that only takes a little getting used to but is simple after you and the kids see a bloody fight. its a wake up call that changes your life forever

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
things to think about

1 never trust a bulldog not to fight
2 dont set your dogs up for failure
3 avoid the triggers. you already know what they are.
4 dog on dog aggression is easily controlled by keepimg them seperate. anything else is a gamble.
5 crate and rotate, no pitbull ever died from not having doggy friends.
crate and rotate is something that only takes a little getting used to but is simple after you and the kids see a bloody fight. its a wake up call that changes your life forever
:goodpost::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
It's nice when everyone agrees and gets along :) lol

One thing I wonder typically would you still walk them together, a few feet apart I am talking about. By different people. Is that one way to manage it? Or could have bad repercussions and always they should always just be apart? Or does it depend on the dogs anxiety bs da?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so what is an effective crate and rotate? one in for how long then the other? are they to neve be around eachother? because most of the time they are calm. Should I just crat them both when company is over/stressful things are happening?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ ames. I find it easier to take them one at a time, they dont fight with eachother on walks but if another dog comes up they pack. When I walk them one at a time they pay less attention to the other dogs.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
dogs feed off of energy. of course they would pay less attention when not walked together. if you dont want to ever risk a fight then never let them together. if you think you can keep them calm and the energy is low then you could probably let them together. but all it takes is a knock on the door and the frenzy could explode. 2 out of my 6 cant even see each other without a massacre. they went thru the hit or miss moments long enough to learn how to do real damage. I will never give them the oppurtunity to ever hook up again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
makes a lot of sence. on one hand I am sad because I never intended for this to happen. But I think I can handle crate and rotate and just keeping everything calm

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
it is very simple. try it out and see how it goes. it takes the stress right out of owning dogs. lol

·
Registered
901 Posts
Crate/rotate at all times. Take it from someone who has lived through two bloody fights where injury occurred and costly vet bills. I am blessed no one was killed or people injured trying to break it up. Always have a break stick accessible. I have 2 males my pit isn't DA yet, my Mastiff is. After the first incident my husband thought it was a fluke even though I started to crate/rotate. He was careless and all hell broke loose the second time. Due to the size of my house an actual crate wasn't practical for us. I bought baby gates that limited their access to areas. I taught them the baby gate is a no go zone. Equal "free" time is used independantly for socialization/play. When we are not home for visual supervision, we close one dog in a bedroom with a baby gate as an addtional barrier. It is manageable and it works but everyone needs to be on board and follow the rules. Quiet time at home can change in an instant and you may not be prepared to move fast enough to get it in control and/or know what may set one off.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Crate and rotate is the answer,, we have all said it. However. I would like to offer another option for SOME <-- of the time, crate and rotate 80% or so,
You could also get some muzzles. They could walk together as AMES was asking, and they could hang out together out of crate for a while, supervision still needed but alot less concern. They need to be a good muzzle.

Crate and rotate your dogs.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
makes a lot of sence. on one hand I am sad because I never intended for this to happen. But I think I can handle crate and rotate and just keeping everything calm
Please understand, it's nothing you did or didn't do! It's in the breed, period. Don't beat yourself up. Take the advice given to you and have peace of mind that you won't come home to a dead dog.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts