Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of us are guilty of taking our dogs for a car ride and then we leave them in the car while we run into a store real quick. However, next time you do this think twice. I got word from a friend of mine a little while ago that her brothers Rottweiler died by choking to death on Friday. He was left in the car for about ten minutes while the owner ran in the store. He came out to find his dog with his head under the car seat dead. Apparently Mayhem discovered a french frie under the seat and when he tried to get it his collar got stuck and he choked to death. His owner is absolutely devastated and blames himself for his dogs death 100%. He wishes he left him home that day but he enjoyed being with his buddy and Mayhem loved to go for car rides. Maybe next time you take your dog for a ride and leave him to wait you will think to remove there collar before you walk away. This may have been a fluke incident, but whose to say it could never happen to others. Just thought I would share this tragedy in hopes it would prevent another. Mayhem was a sweet boy who was loved and will be missed greatly by his family. Rest easy buddy.....

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
OMG how sad :( I don't know what I'd do if that happened to us :(

·
Registered
137 Posts
That almost happened to my friends dachshund we came back to the car and she was choking to death and had to cut her collar off. Defiantly not something anyone wants to see :(

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
OMG how sad, Id be devestated if that happened:(

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
How sad.But stuff like this is exactly why I don't take my dogs with me unless I'm not going in anywhere.I'm too scared someone will steal them out of my car.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
That is sad and really unfortunate, another thing to watch out for is leaving them in the car on hot days even if the windows are rolled down.. My buddy did that literally for only 5-10 minutes and someone had called the cops and his dog was almost taken away...

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
california has laws about that. you cant leave your dog in the car it was mostly about heat exhaustion but still people still shouldnt leave dogs in the car by them selves. even though cops still run into the donut shops or stores on their break and leave their k9 in the car which i think is still completely wrong and that every one should be bound by the law

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is sad and really unfortunate, another thing to watch out for is leaving them in the car on hot days even if the windows are rolled down.. My buddy did that literally for only 5-10 minutes and someone had called the cops and his dog was almost taken away...
I don't hesitate to call the cops if I see a dog cooking in the heat of a car. I only take Bella with me if I am going to the car wash or to get gas. Or a coffee run to D&D's or Starbucks drive through. Its so sad to think that people even leave there kids in a hot car to die. I always worry someone would steal my girl if I left her in my car while I ran in a store. There are alot of punk kids and thugs around where I live.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I don't hesitate to call the cops if I see a dog cooking in the heat of a car. I only take Bella with me if I am going to the car wash or to get gas. Or a coffee run to D&D's or Starbucks drive through. Its so sad to think that people even leave there kids in a hot car to die. I always worry someone would steal my girl if I left her in my car while I ran in a store. There are alot of punk kids and thugs around where I live.
I agree. so sad for your friend, my heart goes out to them. good lesson for others though. I only go to places like bank drive thrus or places he is welcome to come in.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I only take Chevelle and Champ if I'm going to someone's house or running a quick errand. If I leave them in the truck they go in their kennels in the back (I drive an suv) and I leave the truck running and lock it with my remote and carry the remote with me.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only take Chevelle and Champ if I'm going to someone's house or running a quick errand. If I leave them in the truck they go in their kennels in the back (I drive an suv) and I leave the truck running and lock it with my remote and carry the remote with me.
That's quite the set up you have :D I would still be afraid of someone busting my window to get to my dog and then take off with my truck.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I hope you give them a few minutes to see if they are coming back, sorry but that gets on my nerves. Once when Helena was about 6 months old, we left her in the car to go in the store for just 2 seconds to get a drink. Some old lady threatened to call the cops on me. I told her where she could stick it. ;) I literally just went in for 2 seconds and the windows were down.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope you give them a few minutes to see if they are coming back, sorry but that gets on my nerves. Once when Helena was about 6 months old, we left her in the car to go in the store for just 2 seconds to get a drink. Some old lady threatened to call the cops on me. I told her where she could stick it. ;) I literally just went in for 2 seconds and the windows were down.
If it is 90 plus degrees, humid, and the car is parked right in the sun beating in on the dog with about a 1 inch crack in the windows I waste no time....I know the signs of a dog in distress and if they are panting heavily and foaming at the mouth they need out of that car ASAP! But yes, if I see the dog is okay I do wait but I watch and if the owner is not back within a few minutes I will then call.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts