Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well about a month ago Gargamel started scratching his cheek and licking his paws, scratching his ears and got some weird bumps. I looked at what people have said in prior posts and thought it was allergies since he is 2 and a half and they usually start to show around now. And since Ragweed season just kicked in, basically decided that was the problem. Well one of the bumps burst (the boggest) and has come back really hard and bigger and sometimes bleeds so I brought him into the vet. They could not do a biopsy since the bump isn't big enough to get a good sample (which is good and bad I guess). The vet put him on Cefpodoxime Proxetil to help with the infections from licking his toe and scratching his cheek and some Prednisone as an anti inflammatory (if I am remembering right).

Anyway, she said if the bump that is now hard, if it does not go away he has to have it removed, with a $700 surgery. Just sucks! I have been saving money to pay for his training and I am bummed I may have to use it to get this bump removed. Plus if it is bad waiting 3 more weeks makes me nervous that he will have it spreading for three more weeks if it is bad.

Just hoping to get my Gargamel some good thoughts from everyone so it turns out its just allergies and goes away so he doesn't have to be put under to get it removed and tested. Thanks for listening...

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Hope it isnt anything serious , sounds funny that they would make you remove it at $700 without even knowing if it needs to be removed. there are lots of bumps and growths that happen that arent anything serious so hope its just one of those , even if it grows dont freak out Id actually rather have it grow enough that I can have a biopsy done to see if it is cancerous or not , saves money if you dont need it removed. where is the bump located his cheek? do you have pictures? allergy season is no fun poor gargamel.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Where is the bump at? It sounds like it might be something got into his paw or cheek and his body is trying to push it back out (with the popping and bleeding/oozing). Kane had a bump on his paw that appeared three weeks ago, I thought it was a histiocytoma, turned out to be a foxtail he was trying to push back out.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's on his side behind his elbow. I will try and snap a pic. I said should we wait for it to grow and biopsy but they said earlier removal the better. It seems like a lot of work and money if it's nothing but I just don't want to wait too long and have it grow and spread. O I hope it goes down with the medicine!!! Thanks :)

Here is a pic not sure if its ok to see so let me i will retry in daylight.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Aww, poor Mel! Geez Amy I hope it's nothing serious. $700 to have a bump removed (if it doesn't go away) and they don't even know what it is yet?? That's weird. I think I would get a second opinion JMO.....

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah good idea. I will wait it out and see what happens with it. Totally thinking it's allergies and I am glad u all agree it seems excessive for not knowing!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Poor guy! 700 I would get another quote that is a really simple procedure. I just paid 800 to remove multiple large tumors including a cherry eye on Belle. 700 just sounds way too expensive. I am a wait and see type person I would wait and see what it does.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree w/ the others. They don't know what it is...but it should be removed ASAP for $800.? That's not a confidence building statement advice. Y not see another vet?

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank again everyone. I am gonna try and wait it out, wanted to know if I was a bad mom for thinking it was crazy to put a dog under for a just in case type of spot. Hopefully it goes away and if it doesn't I will get a second opinion before anything further.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They could not get a sample last time, the bump got bigger and squishy:

So I called and they had an opening and I was hoping it was big enough to get as sample of. They were able to get a sample. A vet came back after looking and said it was clean it should go away in another few weeks, its not a mast cell tumor, looks normal cells just irritated and inflamed. Benedryl and finish his steroids and antibiotics. Then she said if it does not go away on its own they still want to operate. I will get another opinion before then, I only went back in thinking it was so big they must be able to get a sample. she said again they will have to operate right after saying the cells look fine. What? Like seriously? It looks fine but you still want to cut a 2 inch hole out of his side? I am waiting the next 4 weeks to see if there is any change. Could it be cosmetic cause I don't really care if he has a bump on his side, why else would you remove a bump of normal cells? weird...

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
poor baby :( i agree.. i would definately wait it out... and i would do exatcly what you are with sayin if its just cosmetic then leave it.. hope all goes well!!

·
Registered
901 Posts
OMG that is a crazy price. I think your vet is money hungry. I would surely look into a second opinion before surgery. My one dog had a mass under her front shoulder and the vet took a biospy of it and said it was normal but if it started to effect her walking or she appeared to be in distress over it he would remove it. It only cost me $200 and he was able to remove it. It was a 3lb fatty mass and was able to get it all. Never had another issue with it. Well wishes to Gargamel.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So Mel went to the other vet and is going back a week from Thursday to get the bump removed officially. Its getting bothered by him scratching at it now and I am sure its not going anywhere, or getting any smaller at this point.

One thing that interested me was the new vet instantly looked at Mel and said some things around his elbows and ears was mange. I have been so concerned with allergies, my other vet and myself had missed the possible Mange. So he was given medicine 2 weeks ago and I can already see a difference, where I didn't even think to look before. I am hoping once its gone maybe he didn't have allergies to being with.

The new vet seems so great with Mel and I am glad, even though he is an hour away. He said its only going to be about $250, so much less than what his old vet wanted. Just the 2 years of missing the mange pisses me off. I would point these things out and ask, and they would make me think I was crazy.

Totally should have gone with my gut feeling. Live and learn. here is the bump yesterday. 2 weeks and I will update on what it looks like after the surgery :)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Gargamel had his surgery today, it went well I guess except lots of stitches. They are sending it out for biopsy just in case (cell appeared and were tested and came back normal originally). He has about 17 stitches and is so wasted he is sleeping standing up still. He also pee'ed in his sleep. Is that normal after being knocked out???? Last time he stayed overnight at the vets so I don't know. Vet said worry if he is doing it tomorrow. Had to get shirts to protect from scratching. It's great now he is all drugged up and can't feel it to be bothered yet.

Glad it's over for now and I hope he doesn't get anymore and results are ok and it was just a bump....

Still loves his ball

Oh and he is down another 2.7lbs! Yay for Gargamel :). Especially since the vet said no hardcore play or stretches (no flirt or spring pole!!) til stitches are out in 2 weeks!!!

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
anyone had the pee in their sleep happen to them? or no?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Awww poor gargamel , hope he feels better soon. I would think that could be normal if he is drugged up,maybe just doesnt have the ability to feel the urge and deal with it, its normal in people { big reason they do cathators during surgerys} Once the drugs wear off he should be fine. Hope the lab results come back clear and this is the end of it. I didnt realize how big an incision they were going to do , is a shirt enough to keep him from scratching it?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Damn I totally missed all this first of all I love his name Gargamel is one of my favorite smurfs LOL ... Second I am glad he is doing well and hope the biopsy comes back benign. Poor kiddo he looks to be doing well LOL @ his shirt ... If he pee pee'ed in his sleep after surgery that's normal he was probably still having after effects from the anesthesia they often pee more after surgery he just did it in his sleep LOL . If it continues you can contact the vet but that's my guess....

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
$700 to get it removed is a lot. MJ has a few strange growths. They're not anything serious, just skin abscesses that look almost like moles. I had the vet look at them, and she has quite a few. It would only be $180 to remove them all. We didn't put her through it b/c it was necessary, and she is an older dog. But, wow, $700? A good vet tries to talk you out of any unnecessary procedures when it involves putting a dog under.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Awww poor gargamel , hope he feels better soon. I would think that could be normal if he is drugged up,maybe just doesnt have the ability to feel the urge and deal with it, its normal in people { big reason they do cathators during surgerys} Once the drugs wear off he should be fine. Hope the lab results come back clear and this is the end of it. I didnt realize how big an incision they were going to do , is a shirt enough to keep him from scratching it?
Thanks Angel. I appreciate it and I wondered the same thing about the tshirt. I was thinking about getting some kid sweatshirts and cutting the sleeves. I could not believe how big the incision was either. It was a big lump! Any idea of what might work better?? He has been sleeping all day thank good ess. I was concerned her wasnt drinking and eating but I put some kibbles in and he came over and ate, so he is good thank goodness :)

Damn I totally missed all this first of all I love his name Gargamel is one of my favorite smurfs LOL ... Second I am glad he is doing well and hope the biopsy comes back benign. Poor kiddo he looks to be doing well LOL @ his shirt ... If he pee pee'ed in his sleep after surgery that's normal he was probably still having after effects from the anesthesia they often pee more after surgery he just did it in his sleep LOL . If it continues you can contact the vet but that's my guess....
Thanks yeah I kinda called them and they were very good but not mh after care explanations. Thu do this all the time he will be fine call if he is still loopy after tomorrow. OMG he is so chocolate wasted its kinda funny. and what's this goop they put in his eyes!? Eewwwww. So happy my boy is good an I loved the smurfs wen I was little :)

$700 to get it removed is a lot. MJ has a few strange growths. They're not anything serious, just skin abscesses that look almost like moles. I had the vet look at them, and she has quite a few. It would only be $180 to remove them all. We didn't put her through it b/c it was necessary, and she is an older dog. But, wow, $700? A good vet tries to talk you out of any unnecessary procedures when it involves putting a dog under.
I hear you. I took him to a few vets for opinions. Including the biopsy it was $680. Unfortunately it was in a bad spot where his paw could get to, but was hard for me to keep him from bothering with it and would scratch and infect it. That was too much of a problem since after 2 months it was never healing. A lump if fine but once it's bothered it's more than cosmetic and was needed :(

The other vet was over $700 and did not include a biopsy. I had thought he already had one done but they just visually looked at the cells which is not the same thing. But I didn't realize. I think since it was so big it cost more but who knows. The got me for a stupid collar and I already have one. Didn't double check b4 I left.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts