Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'd like to state that I'm not a very sociable person. I don't have a lot of friends who come over and I know that's a huge factor in how a dog handles people. Also my Ruby was pretty much quarantined for about 4 months out of her life. [We got her at around 4 weeks.] So the only people she has met were a few of my boyfriend's friend, his parents, and our vet. [She's 6 months now.]

I do a lot of training at home, and she's picked up on so much so quickly. She's smart as all get out, and we plan on starting her on CGC classes next month. My only problem is that no matter what I do. Whether it be locking her up, or trying to occupy her mind with something else, she just has horrible people skills.

She'll just go insane around people. Not in a bad, aggressive way either. She'll get so excited that she'll twist, and jump, and roll over so much that a person can't get their hands on her. She won't just sit there and be petted. She'll just go nuts. She also has a bad habit of peeing all over herself and the person. She's busted my boyfriend's friend in the nose, and almost tripped his mother. If she's on a leash she'll try and get out of her collar to get to the person. It's insane and not good behavior at all.

During this time she will not accept treats, not matter how delicious. She won't sit still. And refuses to "sit." She'll lie down and try and crawl to the person, even with barely any slack on her leash. Not to mention she'll choke herself till she's coughing up a lung. If we lock her up she'll urinate on EVERYTHING.

I went to our dog trainer and she said that her problem was she had too much energy and needed and outlet before she's introduced to people. She's only 6 months old and I'm afraid that I'm doing too much to her. We do about a half hour of training, then a hour of walking, then 2 and a half hours of playing fetch, and then another half hour running up and down stairs. [Not to mention before we go on car rides she has to take Dramamine, which is suppose to tire some dogs out.] Even after ALL of that she still freaks out around his parents. She was in no way even remotely tired after all of that. I have no idea how that's possible. Because after all that I was exhausted.

I really don't believe in using pain as a way of training her. Shock collars are a no go. Personally she does best with tons of love and treats. But if I can't find a way to calm her down before her classes start I'll be unable to participate. She's a good dog. A great dog. Everyone who meets her falls madly in love with her, but I want to be able for her to enjoy other people, not terrify them with her insane amount of love.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
someone on here posted a reply about using a threshold idea (I don't remember where I read it or I would link it). Basically being start with someone new at say 50ft or however far you need to be to have control. work on some obed then move in closer, and rinse wash repeat till your close to them. Also have them apply the no look no touch no eye contact till the dog is calm. Most people get excited around a dog, and makes things like that worse. At any point you loose control back up as far as you need to.

also MOST importantly you must be calm.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
someone on here posted a reply about using a threshold idea (I don't remember where I read it or I would link it). Basically being start with someone new at say 50ft or however far you need to be to have control. work on some obed then move in closer, and rinse wash repeat till your close to them. Also have them apply the no look no touch no eye contact till the dog is calm. Most people get excited around a dog, and makes things like that worse. At any point you loose control back up as far as you need to.

also MOST importantly you must be calm.
That's the hardest part, getting people I do know to help with training.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
try your parents or your boyfriends parents, or i dunna offer someone a 6 pack for 45 minutes of being near and helping (providing you and them are legal age to drink)

·
Registered
471 Posts
that post that hes talking about is mine if you wanna check it out =]

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
HAHA my friend is having a similar problem, her pup is just way to excited when anything is about to happen. Have you tried NILIF? It helps a lot for behavorial issues, I know its only around people, but the same practice could be applied if you get her used to working for everything. link: http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/11559-nilif.html Teaching myself not to respond to his queues was the hardest part for myself. i would anticipate what he wanted when in essence he was controlling me. Implementing NILIF really helped him look to me for queues on his behavior instead of the other way around.

Also when you come home is she just as excited? You basicaly need to get her to understand you don't mind if she is crazy and has zoomies, but she cant be like that all the time and needs to know good things come when she is relaxed more than when she is crazy. When you come home you do not speak to her or interact with her until YOU greet her, not the other way around. Work on basic commands, sit, down what not. Whe she has them, go on your yard outside and make sure she can do it outside on a leash still. Then Go to a park, NOT a dog park a people park, or go to a baseball field and sit wayyyy far away from people and make her focus on you and the good treats. Cheese sticks, something of high reward, I know you said she is not interested in the food, but you can move your body to block her site line and get her to look at you and sit calmly in front of you. It takes HUGE amounts of patience and you can not do it sometimes, you must be prepared for long days of aggravation trying to get her to understand what you expect form her.

Take baby steps. Focus on the look command and when she has it, move outside and work on it until she gets it 9 times out of ten, increase your distance between you and her. Mentally working a dog is a great way to tire a pup out as well as physically.

Do you have a treadmill? I put my boy on that when he is crazy sometimes because he can do full on sprints for 20 minutes or so. When we walk he is not getting a work out, lol. link: http://www.gopitbull.com/conditioning/42400-treadmill.html
What about a flirt pole? link:http://www.gopitbull.com/working-dogs/40210-just-little-flirt-pole-action.html
Do you tug with her? Link: Katie's Bumpers -Patterned Float 'n Fetch Dog Toys
or a laser pointer? (warning though Lasers cause some dogs to get OCD and should not be used all the time and never quick turns she might tear something, also never surprise your dog with it, always let her know what you are doing and when it is over) Link: http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/42403-laser-pointer.html

Just some ideas about other ways to tire your pup out lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HAHA my friend is having a similar problem, her pup is just way to excited when anything is about to happen. Have you tried NILIF? It helps a lot for behavorial issues, I know its only around people, but the same practice could be applied if you get her used to working for everything.

Also when you come home is she just as excited? You basicaly need to get her to understand you don't mind if she is crazy and has zoomies, but she cant be like that all the time and needs to know good things come when she is relaxed more than when she is crazy. Work on basic commands, sit, down what not. Whe she has them, go on your yard outside and make sure she can do it outside on a leash still. Then Go to a park, NOT a dog park a people park, or go to a baseball field and sit wayyyy far away from people and make her focus on you and the good treats. Cheese sticks, something of high reward, I know you said she is not interested in the food, but you can move your body to block her site line and get her to look at you and sit calmly in front of you. It takes HUGE amounts of patience and you can not do it sometimes, you must be prepared for long days of aggravation trying to get her to understand what you expect form her.

Take baby steps. Focus on the look command and when she has it, move outside and work on it until she gets it 9 times out of ten, increase your distance between you and her. Mentally working a dog is a great way to tire a pup out as well as physically.

Do you have a treadmill? I put my boy on that when he is crazy sometimes because he can do full on sprints for 20 minutes or so. When we walk he is not getting a work out, lol. http://www.gopitbull.com/conditioning/42400-treadmill.html What about a flirt pole? http://www.gopitbull.com/working-dogs/40210-just-little-flirt-pole-action.html Do you tug with her? Katie's Bumpers -Patterned Float 'n Fetch Dog Toys or a laser pointer? (warning though Lasers cause some dogs to get OCD and should not be used all the time and never quick turns she might tear something, also never surprise your dog with it, always let her know what you are doing and when it is over) http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/42403-laser-pointer.html

What exactly is NILIF?

I wish we had a treadmill. I think she'd love that. Same with a pool.

Right now I do up and down stairs, walking, and flirty pole with her every day. Plus about 30 minutes of basic training at home. She's about to start CGC classes but because she's so hyper I'm afraid she won't be able to take full advantage. We even have her on Dramamine to help with tummy troubles during car rides and it's suppose to make dogs tired. Nope not Miss Roo. She's crazy hyper and has more energy then any dog I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. Haha. A lot of people on here say that too much exercise is bad for her because she's only 6 months old. So I really have no idea what to do.

We're in the process of finding a nice dog park. I think that'll help with meeting other dogs and people. But I'd hate to be kicked out because she's too excited around people, and not so around other dogs.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
What exactly is NILIF?

Right now I do up and down stairs, walking, and flirty pole with her every day. Plus about 30 minutes of basic training at home. She's about to start CGC classes but because she's so hyper I'm afraid she won't be able to take full advantage. We even have her on Dramamine to help with tummy troubles during car rides and it's suppose to make dogs tired. Nope not Miss Roo. She's crazy hyper and has more energy then any dog I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. Haha. A lot of people on here say that too much exercise is bad for her because she's only 6 months old. So I really have no idea what to do.

We're in the process of finding a nice dog park. I think that'll help with meeting other dogs and people. But I'd hate to be kicked out because she's too excited around people, and not so around other dogs.
I edited my post before you saw to include the link to NILIF, take a look.

She is young, you can not work her too hard, but you can tire her out. Juts don't do anything to drastic in changing movements too sudden and what not. Craiglist has cheap old treadmills all the time, check in out in your area you may get lucky.

My boy loves the car, so I am sorry I have no opinion or help on that lol. have not given him that so I don't know what its supposed to do lol

In regards to the CGC, I would spend money on a behaviorist or other training before spending money on a class for that. Go online and find some dog people, make friends so they can help you. I know your not social but you need to have your dog socialized as much as possible now, not just with people but everywhere people might be.
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/38109-socializing.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-...ing-american-pit-bull-terrier-your-puppy.html

As for dog parks, PLEASE take a few minutes to read these threads:
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/36349-pitbulls-dog-parks.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/40966-day-park-poem-written-dog-park-lovers.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/43058-hating-my-dog.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/42707-pitbulls-dogparks.html

Although your pup is young, its better to not make a habit of those parks and find other owners you know and trust to make play dates. The amount of disease your dog could get from other dags who go there is a factor, but you don't want to set your girl up to fail so its best to avoid and and all off leash dog situations.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
What exactly is NILIF?

Dog parks are nothing but trouble and the easy way out.. You know how many diseases lurk in the enclosed area? If there is still water that % is even greater..

Dog parks have nothing to do with socialization either, being able to play with a dog does not equal stable, well rounded and adjusted. It just means they like to play with other dogs..

Bulldogs OR any mix there of, genetically are DA and have typically high prey drive.. There are exceptions of course, however everyone believes they are an exception and of all the years i've been involved in these hounds i've never been proven wrong.

There is a difference between pack mentality and ability to play, don't confuse the two.. Even so, i'll save the politics on pack mentality and Bulldogs..

Point is, dog parks no matter what breed you take are a bad idea.. Intrusting that all dogs are caught up on shots, no DA or HA, trusting the grounds are well maintained and treated at minimal bi yearly AND if your "lovely pit bull that wouldn't hurt a fly" decides to fight another dog over dominance, possession, etc OR another dog fights with YOURS guess which way the bricks fall?

Bulldog, mutt, what have you... In the media, general publics eye its all "Pit Bull" even though there is only the APBT which few have in this country..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dog parks are nothing but trouble and the easy way out.. You know how many diseases lurk in the enclosed area? If there is still water that % is even greater..

Dog parks have nothing to do with socialization either, being able to play with a dog does not equal stable, well rounded and adjusted. It just means they like to play with other dogs..

Bulldogs OR any mix there of, genetically are DA and have typically high prey drive.. There are exceptions of course, however everyone believes they are an exception and of all the years i've been involved in these hounds i've never been proven wrong.

There is a difference between pack mentality and ability to play, don't confuse the two.. Even so, i'll save the politics on pack mentality and Bulldogs..

Point is, dog parks no matter what breed you take are a bad idea.. Intrusting that all dogs are caught up on shots, no DA or HA, trusting the grounds are well maintained and treated at minimal bi yearly AND if your "lovely pit bull that wouldn't hurt a fly" decides to fight another dog over dominance, possession, etc OR another dog fights with YOURS guess which way the bricks fall?

Bulldog, mutt, what have you... In the media, general publics eye its all "Pit Bull" even though there is only the APBT which few have in this country..
No I understand how bad they are. I guess "dog park" is too loose a word. We have something in our town where you have to become a member, which means showing medical records yearly, and have to have basic obedience training. It's exceptionally clean and they have dog pools there. No steady water, or water spicits. They have bottled water for dogs, for free. It's 15 acres, gated and they have dog behaviorists there as "secruity." They also have secluded areas for shy/aggressive dogs. They also have an ER on site. I don't know maybe it's too good to be true? I don't really want to go there to socialize I just want to open her up to bigger opportunities you know? Like I'd hate for her to be cooped up all day because I'm terrified about what other people may do/think of her? Does that make sense? XD Ruby loves water and I don't feel comfortable having her swim in lakes or ponds. Because we live in "gator city." Do you think just using the pool is a good idea?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HAHA my friend is having a similar problem, her pup is just way to excited when anything is about to happen. Have you tried NILIF? It helps a lot for behavorial issues, I know its only around people, but the same practice could be applied if you get her used to working for everything. link: http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/11559-nilif.html Teaching myself not to respond to his queues was the hardest part for myself. i would anticipate what he wanted when in essence he was controlling me. Implementing NILIF really helped him look to me for queues on his behavior instead of the other way around.

Also when you come home is she just as excited? You basicaly need to get her to understand you don't mind if she is crazy and has zoomies, but she cant be like that all the time and needs to know good things come when she is relaxed more than when she is crazy. When you come home you do not speak to her or interact with her until YOU greet her, not the other way around. Work on basic commands, sit, down what not. Whe she has them, go on your yard outside and make sure she can do it outside on a leash still. Then Go to a park, NOT a dog park a people park, or go to a baseball field and sit wayyyy far away from people and make her focus on you and the good treats. Cheese sticks, something of high reward, I know you said she is not interested in the food, but you can move your body to block her site line and get her to look at you and sit calmly in front of you. It takes HUGE amounts of patience and you can not do it sometimes, you must be prepared for long days of aggravation trying to get her to understand what you expect form her.

Do you have a treadmill? I put my boy on that when he is crazy sometimes because he can do full on sprints for 20 minutes or so. When we walk he is not getting a work out, lol. link: http://www.gopitbull.com/conditioning/42400-treadmill.html
What about a flirt pole? link:http://www.gopitbull.com/working-dogs/40210-just-little-flirt-pole-action.html
Do you tug with her? Link: Katie's Bumpers -Patterned Float 'n Fetch Dog Toys
or a laser pointer? (warning though Lasers cause some dogs to get OCD and should not be used all the time and never quick turns she might tear something, also never surprise your dog with it, always let her know what you are doing and when it is over) Link: http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/42403-laser-pointer.html

Oh I do that with Ruby now! I didn't know it had a technically name. Haha.

I've been on the hunt for a treadmill for evvvvver. I know once I get one it'll probably be the best investment ever for Roo.

The dog school that I'm going to has a program specifically for pit bulls. She's a specialist and runs a pit bull sanctuary in our town. She was the one that told me that Roo is a great dog, she just needs to control her energy. And told us to tire her out more. But our problem isn't really anything other than tiring her out. As I stated above we can play HARD for 2 hours and she still goes bonkers around other people. Which is insane. Haha she'll be the death of me I swear.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
No I understand how bad they are. I guess "dog park" is too loose a word. We have something in our town where you have to become a member, which means showing medical records yearly, and have to have basic obedience training. It's exceptionally clean and they have dog pools there. No steady water, or water spicits. They have bottled water for dogs, for free. It's 15 acres, gated and they have dog behaviorists there as "secruity." They also have secluded areas for shy/aggressive dogs. They also have an ER on site. I don't know maybe it's too good to be true? I don't really want to go there to socialize I just want to open her up to bigger opportunities you know? Like I'd hate for her to be cooped up all day because I'm terrified about what other people may do/think of her? Does that make sense? XD Ruby loves water and I don't feel comfortable having her swim in lakes or ponds. Because we live in "gator city." Do you think just using the pool is a good idea?
LOL Sounds like heaven don't it? Even if these "dog behaviorists" actually have common sense and know what they are talking about, even if it is all that you mentioned.. You are still putting your dog up for potential failure JUST to run around..essentially..

If you REALLY want to attempt playing together with a dog or two, do it on YOUR terms, still leashed and in a controlled environment this way if anything does happen, you will be ready..

As to the pool, as long as its properly treated, tested, etc regularly it would be fine and great exercise.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL Sounds like heaven don't it? Even if these "dog behaviorists" actually have common sense and know what they are talking about, even if it is all that you mentioned.. You are still putting your dog up for potential failure JUST to run around..essentially..

If you REALLY want to attempt playing together with a dog or two, do it on YOUR terms, still leashed and in a controlled environment this way if anything does happen, you will be ready..

As to the pool, as long as its properly treated, tested, etc regularly it would be fine and great exercise.
I never really liked the idea of open dog parks. It never made sense to me. If anything I'll just use the pool and the agility course. But thank you so much for the advice! If the pool can tire her out at the end of the day then I won't worry too much about socialization with people. I guess because we haven't been able to calm her down I really don't know how she'd handle people if she was exhausted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts