Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as a few of you know i live on a ranch style property and i was talking about starting a kennel or "dog day care" ect.
well a friend of the family just gave me the run down that he's starting a organization that allows Special needs kids to come to our property ride horses, a farm petting zoo with goats, pigs, chickens ect. and also a Dog petting section..
So im going to talk to him and see if he would be interested in having therapy pit bulls or at least some very docile ones there in the dog petting section. I really want to press this and at least get 1 or 2 including my dog in this petting section, i think it would help the image A lot to have a few pits there helping kids feel better about themselves and letting them pet them ect.

so as i find out more about this within the next week i'll update and let you guys know some details if any of you are interested.:doggy:

and of course the dogs would be separated in there own little individual petting section's

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
great idea, I think! Supervision is a must of course. Gargamel can take a lot, but he can give signals he has had enough of my friends little girl sometimes and I give him a break. Sometimes Special needs kids do not know when they have gone to far, so its a balance of keeping the dogs and kids safe. BUT I think these pups can take more from kids than other breeds, so I think it could work. :) as long as the people who you are watching the dogs for know your letting strangers around them, of course. good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yay, that's fantastic! I work at a doggie daycare and boarding facility, defiantly a super job to have! I'm pretty sure Patch-O-Pits is on here but you could talk to her about training therapy dogs she seems super nice and very knowledgeable, I'm part of her group on facebook :p

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone,
happy your all as stoked on the idea as me! :)
we will definitely be watching the dogs and kids as well like a hawk.
i will be one person watching and looking out for signals of an irritated dog.
i can read my dog like a book so im sure i will not have a problem with her.
hopefully are family friend is open to having a few pits here for the kids.
if not... Blondie will be there for sure holding it down and giving the breed a good name :D
im going to work super hard with her to be more docile and tolerable of kids pulling ears ect. We always have young family members over and blondie does really well with them bugging her so again i don't think she will have a problem at all, shes a sweet heart.

I just hope this whole deal goes through:roll:

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
You should look into getting insurance especially for that. I don't know if your home owner's will cover that if anything were to happen.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Sounds good to me if you're able to work out all the kinks and specifics.Too bad we don't live closer as I think Pretty Girl would be awesome for something like that.She never tires of hanging out with kids and loving on them.They can do anything in the world to her and she just wags and licks.
I've thought of doing something out here for handicapped children.Possibly a camp.Keep us updated so I can see how it goes for you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should look into getting insurance especially for that. I don't know if your home owner's will cover that if anything were to happen.
as far as the all the kinks go its a Friend of the family working out and running the whole deal. And from the sounds of it its going good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds good to me if you're able to work out all the kinks and specifics.Too bad we don't live closer as I think Pretty Girl would be awesome for something like that.She never tires of hanging out with kids and loving on them.They can do anything in the world to her and she just wags and licks.
I've thought of doing something out here for handicapped children.Possibly a camp.Keep us updated so I can see how it goes for you.
yea i wish some of the GP people lived near me.
i would love to get some of the dogs here :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh man! I wish I was out there! Jake would be perfect for that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts