Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I took Zorro to the vet. Tomorrow he turns 16 weeks and they gave him his last booster and his rabies shot. I have been noticing a small area on his cheek bone behind the eye was losing hair. Also on one of his legs I noticed a small bald spot.

The vet told me to buy tripleantibiotics at the local pharmacists and to apply to him twice a week. If it didn't get any better to take him in for a scrape.

I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and buy nu-stock cream and treat it with that instead of the tripleantibiotics.

What do you guys think?

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
I would, couldn't hurt and you could stop it before it generalizes

Any pics?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It depends on what it is. If its an allergy or mange then antibiotics arent really going to do anything to solve the problem. Although it will help prevent a secondary bacterial infection if the dog is scratching a lot. Is it itchy? Is there redness along with the hair loss? It would probably be a good idea to get the skin scrape so you can make the right choice in your course of action. If its mange then get the NuStock and a bottle of Ivermectin 1% so you can start treatment right away.

The general dose of 1% Ivermectin is 1/10th of ml, per 10 lb of bodyweight, once a month for heartworm prevention.

The specific dosage of 1% ivermectin to treat red mange is 3/10 of a ml, per 10 lb of bodyweight, ORALLY AND DAILY, until improvement is seen.

You need to make sure it's 1% Ivermectin, only, not more (and NOT Ivomec-Plus).

If its an allergy you need to look at the environment or the food the dog is eating. Generally this is the age where mange starts to show up. The pups immune system is not strong enough to keep the mites in check so its a possibility it is red mange.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would, couldn't hurt and you could stop it before it generalizes

Any pics?
Ill try to get some up. I'm on my phone.

It depends on what it is. If its an allergy or mange then antibiotics arent really going to do anything to solve the problem. Although it will help prevent a secondary bacterial infection if the dog is scratching a lot. Is it itchy? Is there redness along with the hair loss? It would probably be a good idea to get the skin scrape so you can make the right choice in your course of action. If its mange then get the NuStock and a bottle of Ivermectin 1% so you can start treatment right away.

The general dose of 1% Ivermectin is 1/10th of ml, per 10 lb of bodyweight, once a month for heartworm prevention.

The specific dosage of 1% ivermectin to treat red mange is 3/10 of a ml, per 10 lb of bodyweight, ORALLY AND DAILY, until improvement is seen.

If its an allergy you need to look at the environment or the food the dog is eating. Generally this is the age where mange starts to show up. The pups immune system is not strong enough to keep the mites in check so its a possibility it is red mange.
Thanks. There is some redness where the hair is missing. He hasn't scratched it too much. Maybe twice in the last 2 weeks. I do notice that he chases his tail a lot...wondering if that has anything to do with it.

He is currently on heartguard and is eating Orijen puppy.

I had first noticed the spot start to develope on his face a couple of weeks ago and I can say that is has got worst since then with out any treatment. Do you think it is more economicl to buy the nu-stock and 1%ivermectin online as opposed to buying it at a vet? I just don't want to waste anytime.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I held it up against the light to get a better shot

Sorry if the pic is HUGE...I'm on my phone.

·
3,272 Posts
Face and feet alot of times equal demo, id try the nu stock worst that would happen is it doesn't work, just be careful not to get it in his eyes

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Face and feet alot of times equal demo, id try the nu stock worst that would happen is it doesn't work, just be careful not to get it in his eyes
I'm going to take your advice and go to the feed store on Monday and get a bottle.

·
3,272 Posts
Let us know how it goes

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Don't use any invermectin until you know what you are dealing with. Try nustock and some benadryl for now if he is itchy. Get the skin scrape before you start treating him so you know what you are dealing with. Demo starts around the eyes, ears, and mouth so it could be mange. Before it gets worse I would get the skin scrape. Also, seeing as how he was extra young when you got him his immune system could be compromised and you should start giving him immune building supplements. Vaccinations also compromise the immune system. I have ordered Bella's supplements from here.....

The Wholistic Pet: Wholistic Pet Organics Health Care Supplements

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just had my cousin look at my dog. He was a vet in Cuba. He told me Ivomec is the way to go...hands down.

a couple of days ago zorro threw up and had diarreah for about 24hours. I had him on pedialyte to keep from dehydrating...but I didn't think much about it, other than maybe he ate something that he shouldn't have outside.

Now I'm starting to think that he might still have worms.

My vet only did a fecal exam at 6 weeks when I had first brought him in. After that, they gave him a couple more de-wormers. But they never did another fecal.

I really have a hard time trusting vets that I don't personally know :/

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Something else I might add.

When my cousin came over to my house...zorro in his playful self was all excited and happy like he always is when he meets people. I usually tell him to relax after about 2 or 3 minutes of excitement. This time I let him go all out as my cousin was just playing with him and petting him.

I noticed my dog flared in hives and bumps and began to itch. Mostly around the mouth was red and swollen. All over his body were the bumps and some hot spots.

I gave him some benadryl and let him relax. He is a little better now but I thought that was weird. That has to be demodex I would imagine.

You guys input is always appreciated

·
3,272 Posts
Actually hives like that are more allergic reaction sounding, I would keep ip with the benadryl every 8 hrs for awhile till his skin completely calms down

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Honestly I would talk to Lisa aka performanceknls or a real vet before you start poisoning your pup everyday with ivermectin. That stuff can do alot to there bodies so I would do your own research on it before you assume mange. And mange can mimic allergies as well. If he only has two spots nu stock might work well for him. The longer you wait to treat him the worse its going to get. I didn't take any meds from my vet other than antibiotics for a skin infection but I had a skin scraping done for peace of mind. Also, mange isn't going to make him sick with vomiting and loose stool so he could have even more going on than you think.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I will keep you updated as we go. This morning he was back to normal so I'm not sure what he was allergic to??? Couple things I'm thinking that were out of the norm for him...

1. The rabies shot
2. The mixture of the booster with the rabies shot
3. A cheeto he picked off the floor? Lol
4. The tripleantibiotics
5. Some foam that he ate when he tore his pillow to shreds this morning

He obviously still has the mangie spots thou.

An observation...

He really doesn't scratch the spots that often but he does chase his tail a lot. I don't see any hair missing from his tail so I'm wondering if that could be worms.

My vet is closed today so I'm just brain storming

·
Registered
11,428 Posts

Listen to her :goodpost: .. I think it's demodex as well along with the Ivomec I would do a 2 week round of Antibiotics cephalexin just in case secondary infection has set in due to the itching. I don't suspect food allergies your dog is on the best dry food possible. The area's where hair loss is occurring is classic for demodex.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Have the vet do a skin scrape to confirm manage before you start treatment. But I suspect that's what is going on.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a bunch. I have an apptment on Thur for a scraping, stool and blood work. I wanna nail this bugger to the wall!!

I already have the ivomec and nustock. Just gonna wait for the scraping and make sure he negative for heartworms.

Ill keep u posted

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Get is scraped and if it is Demodex then you can treat at home. with the hives I almost want to say allergy but it looks like Demodex. A quick scrapping will confirm demo, if it is demo check this thread out. I have treated lots of dogs with demo and you have to approach it a few ways not just with Ivermectin.

http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/37005-how-treat-mange-home.html

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just came from vet..demodex is confirmed! I saw those kreepy crawlers on the scope with my own eyes. Does anyone know if ivomec orally is less effective than when given subq?

Also does any one have dosages (for dummies) for ivomec? My dog is weighing 24lbs right now

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts