Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So on the 19th of April we took Sam out to play ball and he randomly decided to jump up and twist around and landed on the leg funny. After that he started to have a limp and wasn't putting full weight on the leg, sort of toe touching. We took him in on the 4th of May because he was still having issues with it and the doctor thought it was a sprain and put him on some NSAIDs and rescheduled for a week to see how he progressed. On the 11th we took him back in because he was still having issues with being protective of the leg and toe touching the floor. The doctor tried to straighten it, but it was very stiff, so we decided to do xrays and have him sedated for the drawer test. The xrays showed a possibility of a partial CCL tear, but the drawer test was negative, although he said that because Sam is muscular in his back legs, that could be causing a false negative.

At this point Sam is on NSAIDS and rest for another week, we will be seeing him on Saturday and the doctor will see how Sam is doing.

Has anyone dealt with this? If its a partial tear, does it heal on its own or do we have to worry about it becoming a full tear? Sam loves to be a very active boy and we don't want to make him become a couch potato.
We are just wanting to get some ideas and figure out what the best course of action is...its hard right now because we don't have a definitive of its a partial tear or not.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
This winter my male started hopping on his right hind, I thought it was a patella issue at first but the vet said it could be a minor CCL issue. We put him on 6 weeks of rest, only short hand-walks, no running, jumping, drag work, etc. After the 6 weeks the limp went away so we didn't end up going any further with the diagnostics. We slowly increased his exercise until it was back to normal and haven't seen the limp since.

I would really err on the side of caution. I know it's hard to see active dogs so restless and bored, but he could so easily injure himself further.

Personally, I'd put him on crate rest until you see the vet again and they give you further instructions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are keeping him inside laying down, he is able to get up and walk around for food and water, bathroom, and to stretch himself, but the running/playing has been stopped.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Just keep him on crate rest.... For at least two weeks. Only let him out to potty... He can lay on the couch with you but you don't want much movement at all so it can heal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts