Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my Rex is almost 8 months.. Have spent a lot of time training him and loving him. I walk him every day. Play ball and so on. No signs of dog agression at all. But
He charges the people walking down the street or mowing thier lawns. Agressively mind you. He is fine if i aproach with him. I adopted him so ive been kinda aware just in case. But if he does it one more time, i will have no choise. I am heart broken and dreeding this more and more each time he does this. Im sorry to throw all this on you, just need to share this. It killing me

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
just curious how he charges people if he is on a leash or in a secure yard?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm stuck in same struggle you are. First I have to ask do you have him fixed or tried taken him to vet to see if he has medical issue causing it? Also was he socialized as a pup or prior to this and did he have issues or this just start? Thats some advice I got besides just flat out kill him.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he is in a secure electric yard..he hates the line and stays far away from it...intill he sees some one.. He is fixed and properly socialized... IDK what to do ..but i cant have him hurt some one..nor will i just lock him up..sad thing is i live in the country sooo its bad when people start to aviod ur house

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
hes associating the shock with what/who's on the other side of the barrier. sounds like if you hand walk him in the yard with you holding the leash every time he goes out, your problem is solved.
Its your yard, you own it. make sure he dog knows that

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not just the yard..he did this before the fence..i installed this after the problem started..and it did nothing

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I wouldn't be too hasty in the decision to put him down. Work with him and try to find out what initiates this behavior. If you're real worried have him evaluated by a professional in obedience training perhaps. One of my pups has a thing for anything riding a bike, not aggressive but he does spazz out a bit.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Electric fences are not very good IMO, they don't stop people or other animals coming INSIDE your yard and causing problems.

I would have a friend of your come over and run the lawn mower so you can work with him while it happening. Could be a fear reaction, but the charging at people in his yard could be a warning. I would leash him, no longer getting free access, he needs to earn that freedom not just be given it.

You should hire a behaviorist. he is at the teenage years and needs some direction before its too late.

Reactions: redog

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i took him to my friend duke whos good with these things..he said to aproach with him and show its ok...i did this..next step chain him only when he is out side and can be monitored...did this nothing. E fence..nothing. Ive tried positive reinforcement.. Nothing. He has even started to try and eat people when we go for car rides. But when he is out side and right next to me he loves them. He chased some poor woman in circles trying to get her the other day. And some of this may be caused by some woman who drives up and down the road with her boxer running next to the car. This causes my pup and my gfs to spaz out. And i have issues with the bike thing as well

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
yeah saint, I wouldnt put anything down cuz i couldnt handle it. i would step up cuz i made the decision to be responsible for a rescue animal. edsel you need to put on your clint eastwood face and control this. what ever it takes

·
APBT!
9,592 Posts
First, I must say, regardless of if he hates the electric fence or not, it's not really as secure as you may think it is. If he's truly showing signs of aggression, the electric shock will only agitate this aggression in the long run.

How old was this dog when you adopted him? How much training/socialization have you done with him? Not to sound demeaning, but how much experience do you have in training a dog, especially of this breed? Did you work with a trainer or in a group class setting? How long has this behavior been going on? Have you had him medically evaluated for things that could be wrong internally, like a tumor, thyroid problem, etc.?

I highly recommend you get your dog a good chain spot setup, or a roofed kennel to keep him in, secure enough to contain him, until you have time to have him evaluated. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im trying. I really am.. He either A will get in trouble or B. get hit by a car trying. My thing is i didnt get him to keep him locked up in a cage. This is my companion. I dont want to put him down. But all it takes is for this problem to get out of control 1 time. And not only is he done but so am i and my family. People around here are already being a pain about his breed. I just dont want this to get worse

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First, I must say, regardless of if he hates the electric fence or not, it's not really as secure as you may think it is. If he's truly showing signs of aggression, the electric shock will only agitate this aggression in the long run.

How old was this dog when you adopted him? How much training/socialization have you done with him? Not to sound demeaning, but how much experience do you have in training a dog, especially of this breed? Did you work with a trainer or in a group class setting? How long has this behavior been going on? Have you had him medically evaluated for things that could be wrong internally, like a tumor, thyroid problem, etc.?

I highly recommend you get your dog a good chain spot setup, or a roofed kennel to keep him in, secure enough to contain him, until you have time to have him evaluated. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted.
Its fine i understand your point. Ive had 3 already in my life not including this one( one still kicking and 12 years old other cuaght cancer and had to be put down at 8. And ive had him since he was 8 weeks old. This had been going on for 2 months now. He has been fixed since 10 weeks so its most likely not a hormonal thing and i will turn it off for a few days and observe the situation further. I have a check up next week i will take him to and see what else they can do. Blood work and such showed normal.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I don't agree.It sounds like that no matter what, this dog is trying to go after people as long as he's not around.That is a liability to me.A huge one.Especially if he does actually have a apbt and not a mastiff or bandog,etc..
IMHO if you've tried controlling,training,etc..and the problem hasn't gotten better,then go ahead and PTS before it becomes a bigger issue.
I've said this in all my other posts concerning "pit bulls" with HA issues.Why spend the hours wasted on a dog who may be HA when there are so many other dogs out there waiting to be adopted who are not HA at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah it hurts so bad..so bad but the right thing sucks and at least i gave him a chance..and like u guys told me when i joined..HA isnt in the breed.. at least not supposed to be.. and he is APBT my gf has a Neapolitan Mastiff they are best friends..same age but no issues there.. Just sucks

·
APBT!
9,592 Posts
Im trying. I really am.. He either A will get in trouble or B. get hit by a car trying. My thing is i didnt get him to keep him locked up in a cage. This is my companion. I dont want to put him down. But all it takes is for this problem to get out of control 1 time. And not only is he done but so am i and my family. People around here are already being a pain about his breed. I just dont want this to get worse
Its fine i understand your point. Ive had 3 already in my life not including this one( one still kicking and 12 years old other cuaght cancer and had to be put down at 8. And ive had him since he was 8 weeks old. This had been going on for 2 months now. He has been fixed since 10 weeks so its most likely not a hormonal thing and i will turn it off for a few days and observe the situation further. I have a check up next week i will take him to and see what else they can do. Blood work and such showed normal.
Okay, so you say you didn't get him to keep him locked in a cage, but you don't want this to get worse. Let me say this... unless you take immediate action and do what was suggested (chain or kennel him when you're unable to watch him, and leash him at all other times) then it will get worse! Not trying to pick on you, but you avoided answering my questions about the training you've done with him, which could in part be why he's acting this way. He has no leadership in his life. He sees you as another member of the pack. All I can say is, if you don't take the precautionary measures now, you'll be back telling us he had to be euthanized or was shot by a police officer b/c of his aggressive behavior. Please spare him, yourself and the breed's reputation as a whole and be responsible for what you have, get a handle on the situation and keep him contained with something other than an electric fence, until you can assess the situation properly and straighten this mess out.

Reactions: redog

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As for the training..Yes he has leader ship.. Yes he has been to group classes with duke and such. I may be young but ive done a lot work with him. I dont even let him in the house before me. We have trained a Neapolitan mastiff male not fixed how to behave and have a sence of belonging. So the pit is as well. This isnt something im just being lazy about. We have a kennal and i have leashed him. All it does is makes the event worse if i lock him up . I know my dog. Ive had him for a while now. When he does this he has a very unusual look in his eyes that i dont trust. I am taking responsibilty for the dog. Its not that im being lazy or havent done shit. I take this dog every where with me and have spent a lot of time training him. I know this is just a process of elimination and trying to help me but got to understand this is getting to the last resort

·
Registered
125 Posts
Killing the dog needs to be your last resort.
I'm not exactly sure how you view the situation but regardless of one of my dogs hating other people and dogs we kept him and as long as you have a backyard and you have common sense keeping a dog that is human aggressive shouldn't be that big of an issue.
that goes for if you can't train him.

Though this is your dog and you should reach out to get a dog trainer to help you.

I have simply never heard of someone saying they are going to put they're dog down even if they are human aggressive.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts