Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im pretty sure my 10 month old female APBT has been knocked up by my neighbors mongrel dog. one day when i let my girl out to do her business i noticed my dogs were goin nuts so i went to investigate and i see this dog in my yard. i called animal control and had them take care of the problem and the guy took the dog and returned him to the owner. my dog was only out for a couple mins so i didnt think much of it but now shes showing "signs". i called the vet and they say my only option for abortion would be to spay her. i have zero intentions on spaying my dog. so, i ask you all, do i have any options on this possible pregnancy? id really rather not risk the health of my dog having puppies by some random animal. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
She is very young and because the sire is a mixed dog hecky yes I would abort that litter you can abort that pregnancy without spaying her. Why did they tell you that you couldn't?

There are a few options

Prostaglandin

Dopamine agonists such as Prolactin

Epostane

Mifepristone (RU486)

These are all drugs that can be used to terminate a pregnancy in dogs. I would be calling another vet if they are not willing to help you without spaying her.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
She is very young and because the sire is a mixed dog hecky yes I would abort that litter you can abort that pregnancy without spaying her. Why did they tell you that you couldn't?

There are a few options

Prostaglandin

Dopamine agonists such as Prolactin

Epostane

Mifepristone (RU486)

These are all drugs that can be used to terminate a pregnancy in dogs. I would be calling another vet if they are not willing to help you without spaying her.
i called 2 different vets in town and they both said the same thing to me. i will have to try another then and see what they say. thanks! i have zero experience in this sort of thing.

i was told that they removed the stuff from the market that could help me. something like that. said it was no longer available.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Performance Kennels will chime in as well. How long ago did this happen? Do you know approximately how far along she is? Has the vet examined her or did they just talk to you over the phone?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Some vets won't do abortions without spaying but some will ... Keep calling around there has to be one vet that will do it. The other option would be to allow her to have the pups and then cull the entire litter. I know it sounds cruel but honestly it's for the best.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Performance Kennels will chime in as well. How long ago did this happen? Do you know approximately how far along she is? Has the vet examined her or did they just talk to you over the phone?
this was about 3 weeks ago. and im just talking to people on the phone, i havent had her in the vet yet. so far, everyone is just telling me i have to have her spayed.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Yeah you might have to if you can't find a vet who will do the abort without spaying her. That really sucks she is so young that I would hate for her to have puppies but it's been done. If she has them though I would have the entire litter culled. What were your plans for her? Did you plan on showing her?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah you might have to if you can't find a vet who will do the abort without spaying her. That really sucks she is so young that I would hate for her to have puppies but it's been done. If she has them though I would have the entire litter culled. What were your plans for her? Did you plan on showing her?
yeah this has become quite the problem. called about 10 vets and so far they all insist on spaying. i didnt plan on showing her but i was keeping my options open for breeding her for personal use in the future. i keep my dogs separate, wasnt planning on a neighbor not containing his.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Some vets won't do abortions without spaying but some will ... Keep calling around there has to be one vet that will do it. The other option would be to allow her to have the pups and then cull the entire litter. I know it sounds cruel but honestly it's for the best.
If you can't abort in your area without spaying- I would do this

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I here you rob the best most painless thing for your dog if you can't find a vet to abort without spaying would be be to spay and abort. But if you want to keep her intact then she will have to give birth to those pups and honestly I would just cull them because they are mutts. I am really sorry your in this position that really sucks for you and your dog. I had no idea they removed the injection/pill drugs off the market. Your in a really messed up situation.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you can't abort in your area without spaying- I would do this
im in maryland and i dont mind making a daytrip to a vet that would abort without spaying. i would really like to avoid culling an entire litter of puppies if i can. if anyone knows a vet in my area that would do this sort of thing, let me know. otherwise, im gonna keep calling around.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I here you rob the best most painless thing for your dog if you can't find a vet to abort without spaying would be be to spay and abort. But if you want to keep her intact then she will have to give birth to those pups and honestly I would just cull them because they are mutts. I am really sorry your in this position that really sucks for you and your dog. I had no idea they removed the injections drugs off the market. Your in a really messed up situation.
yes, this is pretty frustrating. all because my neighbor cant keep his dog in his yard. i do know this, if anything bad happens to my dog because of this guy there will be hell to pay.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
yes, this is pretty frustrating. all because my neighbor cant keep his dog in his yard. i do know this, if anything bad happens to my dog because of this guy there will be hell to pay.
I would be ready to kick some tail right about now. I know you have some nice dogs from TG. I would be livid.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would be ready to kick some tail right about now. I know you have some nice dogs from TG. I would be livid.
yeah, this is my girl off el ***** that i got at the end of last year. and im pretty pissed. i dont like the guy anyway, hes not what you would call a good neighbor. hopefully im wrong and im just imagining these signs. its still pretty early so im gonna hope for the best.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
If you don't want to cull- maybe you can just spay and neuter all the pups and adopt them out?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you don't want to cull- maybe you can just spay and neuter all the pups and adopt them out?
that would be quite expensive. also, im worried about the health risks to my dog since shes only 10 months old. push comes to shove, i will cull the litter. i will not contribute to the overpopulation of mutts around here. making a vet appointment as we speak to see what i can do.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
The only other drug I know of is
Alizin it's an injectable but it's not marketed in the US. It is also given to terminate pregnancy it works by blocking the hormones that are required for a pregnancy to continue.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Also once they use these drugs they have to go back in and clean her out. I really hope you can find a vet who will abort without spaying. I know they do it !!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also once they use these drugs they have to go back in and clean her out. I really hope you can find a vet who will abort without spaying. I know they do it !!
i have literally called around 25 vets and none will do any abortion without spaying. im gonna try to get her in an emergency visit to see if shes pregnant for sure before i take another step.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.