Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the length... I like to ramble a lot :hammer:

Molly and Annie were BOTH spayed last Friday morning.

I picked them up that afternoon and was not given pain medication for them or anything of that matter.

They told me that the stitches are dissolvable and there was not need for a follow up, unless there is an emergency.

I've never had dissolvable stitches on my other dogs, so I don't necessarily know if it speeds up or slows down the healing process, or if it even affects it at all...

I don't really like the fact that they don't get a follow up after the spay either. I like to know that everything is going as planned! Ugh!

But ANYWAY,
I was always administered pain medication with my others... and that has limited their activity for the first week, and after that they were fine.

The first day we picked them up, they were still loopy from the anesthesia, so they slept until the next morning.
Well, they woke up the next morning like nothing EVER happened!

For the first 3 days I had them on STRICT crate rest, with bones and their Kongs filled all the way. That actually entertained them for a while.

Now they are SO full of energy, they THRASH around in their crates!
I'm scared they're going to hurt themselves or bust the incision open.

I don't know what else to do at this point!

Then this morning we let them out to use the bathroom, and they had a HUGE case of the ZOOMIES!

I mean, to the point where we had to DRAG them inside because they would not stop, lol.

We've been practicing obedience, but that doesn't get rid of the built up energy!

The vet told me not to take them on walks for up to two or three weeks.

Molly and Annie are use to going on daily walks/runs, so they are losing their minds!

Is two - three weeks necessary?

Will a walk around the block really affect anything?

We also have Dog Day Afternoon Sunday, which we are wanting to take them along. Would you consider that too soon being they were spayed last Friday?

·
Registered
125 Posts
First of all I hate dissolvable stitches, everytime they have ever used them on my dogs they end up with a lump in their stomach. Some Vets will use them on the inside and use regular stitches on the outside. As far as your Vet telling you not to walk your dogs for 2-3 weeks...that is absolutely ridiculous. I work for a Vet and we recommend people walking their dogs because they will get a build up of energy. You can't expect a dog to sit in a crate all day every day and not get any sort of exercise. Take your dogs for a walk, not run. They will be fine, I promise!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all I hate dissolvable stitches, everytime they have ever used them on my dogs they end up with a lump in their stomach. Some Vets will use them on the inside and use regular stitches on the outside. As far as your Vet telling you not to walk your dogs for 2-3 weeks...that is absolutely ridiculous. I work for a Vet and we recommend people walking their dogs because they will get a build up of energy. You can't expect a dog to sit in a crate all day every day and not get any sort of exercise. Take your dogs for a walk, not run. They will be fine, I promise!
GREAT!
I cannot tell you how glad I am to hear that!

Jeez! I've been feeling SO HORRIBLE about keeping them locked up.

Thank you, thank you :)

They put the dissolvable stitches on the inside, and glued the skin shut on the outside.
I do not like it at all.

I feel like any given moment, it will just bust open!

I get so paranoid.

·
Registered
125 Posts
GREAT!
I cannot tell you how glad I am to hear that!

Jeez! I've been feeling SO HORRIBLE about keeping them locked up.

Thank you, thank you :)

They put the dissolvable stitches on the inside, and glued the skin shut on the outside.
I do not like it at all.

I feel like any given moment, it will just bust open!

I get so paranoid.
No, it'll be ok. When they did Suri & Opha's surgicals they did that and they ran around like crazy. You should be ok!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
This is the reason I do not like givng my dogs pain medication. If they are hurting they will not be so appt to ontinue doing whatever it is that makes them hurt. I have never crated my dogs for more than a day after surgery. I usually make it a point to bring them home the same day too. Walking your dogs will not hurt them at all.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I have never been given pain meds after my animals have been speutered :) I have had multiple cats and dogs done over the years both males and females and my dogs were never given anything. Males come home like nothing happened but the girls can be a little more quiet for a few days. Neutering is not as invasive as a spay. I was in OB class with a german short haired pointer who was spayed four days before a class. The owner still brought her and she was fine. She wasn't running around it was just all leash work in a small area. I couldn't imagine crating my girl for two weeks. My vet has always told me no long walks for 5-7 days but short walks are okay and no running. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I know girls are different but my boy was just neutered in January. He did get pain meds but I didn't give them to him since it used to make him go to far, not just ease. No fetch or rough playing but walks were fine they told me. Garbanzo had a real bad belly for two months after the surgery. Now that was the worst part IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts