Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this great idea for this thread when reading the thread about the difference in APBT/Amstaffs. Which lead me to the thought that APBT's can be confused with Amstaffs when they are conditioned for the UKC show ring. Well I know there are a lot of dual registered dogs out there. So I thought it would be fun to see people's dogs conditioned for both rings. So post up a pic of your dog in UKC form and one in ADBA form. :)

I will use Matrix's Persephone as an example, she is the only dual GR CH for ADBA/UKC And what a nice example she is! :) THIS IS NOT MY DOG! She is owned by Reloaded Kennels.

UKC

VS

ADBA

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is not my idea of a UKC standard.. I will find a picture what I think they should look like.. be right back:)
Well obviously the judges thought this was the idea of the UKC standard. ;) This dog is the ONLY dog to ever Grand Champion in both registries. Dogs generally have to go to a lot of shows to earn points towards their champion titles. And therefore be seen by a lot of judges.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is awesome that it is the same dog and you can get that look from just exercise and feeding.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I show my dogs in the same condition for both registries, I am sick of having to make my APBT's look fat just so a judge can say they are pretty....... Yeah I am not a fan of conformation but I will still go show my dogs. I would rather prove my dog is a real APBT by doing something like sports. While it is nice to a CH title in the show ring that really means little when you think of the worth of a dog. If you have a pretty dog that does nothing but lay around and maybe chase a flirt pole from time to time should we really call that breed worthy? dunno I guess this struck a nerve that you had no intentions of hitting ;) This little rant is also in no way directed at Casey's dog who I have seen in person at is a great dog but rather to conformation people in general. In the ADBA you have all these kennels who travel all over the country going from show to show to get points for conformation. Again you are paying for someone to tell you your dog is pretty and basically that's it. Many also think they have the baddest dog if they are acting a fool on leash. I may let my boys mouth off onleash at the show but then could go do Schutzhund, agility, or Obed. They have more of a function than just being "pretty".
How does that test any temperament, smarts, or function of the dog? I will give more credit to those that have working titles in addition to conformation titles. There are many great breed champions that are also WP Ch's or do other sports that test the dogs ability. A good example is GR CH III Ozzy (who is the half brother to my pups) who is not only a 3 time Gr Ch but also a CH in WP. That is a real bulldog who has great beauty but also can work like freight train on the track.

OMG also all the show drama makes me want to puke! There are bitter words and lies going around with many of the west coast UKC dog showers and they are just fighting among themselves and for what? Who's fat butt dog wins at the UKC show?......:flush::hammer:

ok sorry I'm done ;)

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Lisa I was just making a point about that in another thread lol. How these adba shows have turned into conditioning contests it's not even about who's dog is conformationally correct now it's all about how conditioned they are and let's not talk about the lazy owners who use the food bowl as means of conditioning because they are too lazy to actually put in the real work it takes to properly condition a dog. SMH

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
i am glad you posted these pic I was thinking of this dog this am when I read a thread. I think a lot of thought (for the most part ) goes into the bleedings of Conformation dogs. So it is great to produce Ch. do believe that a real dog should be able to do more than look pretty, but they should look the part too. Yeah people out there have there problems with each other but so do the people in Sch clubs. I do French ring and Sch the people in my Sch club never can say anything good about french ring but that doesn't stop me from doing both.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
That is not my idea of a UKC standard.. I will find a picture what I think they should look like.. be right back:)
She didn't ask for a standard interpretation. She asked about conditioning.

Factoid about Persephone. She's a GRCH I in ADBA as of last year I think. I love her. I got to watch her for a while last year. I've wanted a Sephie baby since she was 2 years old. :)

I don't like having to fatten my dog up for UKC, but I also don't see the point of extreme lean-ness for ADBA. I do the work for ADBA because I like the challenge, and Terra is so much fun to work with that I never need an excuse to do something with her. But I don't think conditioning should define the dog. It should be the icing on the cake. ie, choosing between two equal dogs, let the conditioning be the deciding factor. But I've seen ADBA shows where the younger classes were being put up according to conditioning, and that's just wrong IMO. Titles and ribbons should never override a dog's health. That goes the same for developing puppies and the older guys.

Here is Terra almost ADBA weight:

And here is Terra at just a good healthy weight. I showed her UKC at this weight, she was probably too light. I have a hard time showing her like a fatted calf. LOL!

I really like her at this weight: She shows a bit more bulky muscle, but it looks good on her. This was during a period of a lot of weight training.

And here she is HOG FAT.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Here's an oldie. Priest was working on ADBA shape, but we were probably doing too much weight and resistance with him to really make it work. He had a bulky muscle type. We should have done a lot more cardio. But we were learning at the time.

(A great picture ruined by a dang weed. LOL!)

And the beeeeeeast with a little more weight on him.

I miss that nugget-head.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
so we have yet t sow in the UKC but here is what dooney looked like when we met a judge to see him to get him registered with the UKC. This is what he looks like year around but he is a spoiled inside dog.

And here he is at the ADBA nationals

·
Registered
776 Posts
brock ukc
he would get murdered adba.
i plan to get a abda dog for sports when the right one comes along
brock will do ukc conf and WP if its still around
hes gonna pull regardless
on the left is my brock
on the right is howards buffy i believe
on a side note , brock is only 7 months old here so i hadnt worked him too much

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't like having to fatten my dog up for UKC, but I also don't see the point of extreme lean-ness for ADBA. I do the work for ADBA because I like the challenge, and Terra is so much fun to work with that I never need an excuse to do something with her. But I don't think conditioning should define the dog. It should be the icing on the cake. ie, choosing between two equal dogs, let the conditioning be the deciding factor. But I've seen ADBA shows where the younger classes were being put up according to conditioning, and that's just wrong IMO. Titles and ribbons should never override a dog's health. That goes the same for developing puppies and the older guys.
That is something I have wondered. I think some people do go to the extreme to condition the dogs. Like I had always known that pups should be pups,and don't worry about it in the ring. They are to just have fun, but I have seen at some adba shows that there are only a few pups having puppy fat. The others are dried out, and if those are being put up well that is just encouraging everyone else to condition their pups. Not good... :(

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
I have seen a couple of judges go up to people and say hey that dog is to skinny. That's why you didn't place higher.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
lol Geez Lisa, tell us what you really feel! ;)
lol sorry about that!
Lisa I was just making a point about that in another thread lol. How these adba shows have turned into conditioning contests it's not even about who's dog is conformationally correct now it's all about how conditioned they are and let's not talk about the lazy owners who use the food bowl as means of conditioning because they are too lazy to actually put in the real work it takes to properly condition a dog. SMH
:goodpost:

I have seen a couple of judges go up to people and say hey that dog is to skinny. That's why you didn't place higher.
:goodpost: That's good some of those dogs are way too skinny and losing muscle tone

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do agree with you Lisa, I don't like to see dogs with just conformation titles in their names. I like to see working titles as well. I think conformation titles just say that the dog fits the breed standard and is a good example of the breed. But the working titles say that the dog can also perform which is a very good thing with our breed.

·
JR MEMBER
72 Posts
This brings me to a question ice wanted answered for awhile. What is a good ukc condition method? I want sabrina to have some bulky muscle, yet not look to skinny.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts