Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people will already know this story, but just in case I wanted to share. I heard about it on my local news yesterday morning and I have had friends as far away as California tell me it made their news. I love that it has traveled that far and news organizations are picking up on it.

We shall ignore that the owners drunk ass passed out on train tracks (who passes out on the freaking does that???!!) The dog putting her own body between her drunk ass owner and the train after the conductor could see her dragging the women off the tracks, her poor paw was amputated because the train ran over her paw and her hip was broken. Really a sweet looking 8 year old. So happy the conductor was able to witness her bravery.

Dog Pulls Unconscious Owner From Train's Path - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

Dog Pulls Unconscious Owner From Train's Path
Woman Not Injured In Incident
SHIRLEY, Mass. -- A pit bull named Lilly is being hailed a hero after she pulled her unconscious owner from the path of a freight train last week.

An engineer of a westward-bound freight train saw a dog pulling a woman away from the tracks in the early hours of May 3 in Shirley. The engineer tried to stop, but couldn't avoid hitting the 8-year-old dog.

Video | Images

The woman, identified as Christine Spain, wasn't hurt, but the train's wheels sliced through Lilly's right foot, fractured her pelvis in multiple locations and caused other internal injuries.

When EMTs arrived at the scene, Lilly was covered in blood but still standing guard over her owner, who had collapsed next to the tracks while walking home from a friend's house.

The dog was initially taken to an emergency animal hospital in Acton, and she was then taken by Spain's son, Boston police Officer David Lanteigne, to Angel Animal Medical Center in Boston.

Lanteigne said he had adopted the dog for his mother three years before, and Lilly's companionship helped curb her drinking.

"Lilly's recovery from this horrific ordeal is my top priority right now and I'll do everything possible to get her back home to us," he said.

Lilly is undergoing extensive treatment at MSPCA-Angell. To make a donation to Lilly's care and treatment, click here.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
Its neat that that dog saved the lady, and if she was drinking she should have been hit and left the dog to be a happy good dog.

·
Banned
118 Posts
Ok is this just me or do you guys realize this too? Every time something negative happens all you hear on the news is pit bull attacks little kid, or pit bull kills family dog. Now, when something good happens and they see the true loyalty to these animals, now they are just dogs. But what a amazing dog, her owner should feel terrible.

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
Ok is this just me or do you guys realize this too? Every time something negative happens all you hear on the news is pit bull attacks little kid, or pit bull kills family dog. Now, when something good happens and they see the true loyalty to these animals, now they are just dogs. But what a amazing dog, her owner should feel terrible.
I was noticing that too, and someone in the comments section of the article brought it up as well. Pity.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
agreed, its on the news as a pit bull and in the papers as dog with her picture, so I could not agree more. Why when its a great dog story is it not a "Great Hero Pit Bull". Same way I feel about people who claim pit bulls only make up 5% of all dogs but 67% of bites. Totally spewing information from registered APBT but any mutt that bites is one of the 67% of "pit Bulls". Such crap.

ANYWAY!! this was from Angell's facebook today, nice to know Lilly is doing so well:

We have an extraordinary update to share about Lilly the hero Pit Bull! As her story has gone 'round the world, so many of you have contributed towards her care. We have now raised about $60,000 for our Pet Care Assistance fund. This fund, which is always in need of donations, helps support families such as Lilly's, and helps pay medical care costs for homeless animals in our Adoption Centers, as well as for animals who arrive at the MSPCA as a result of cruelty cases.

We are thrilled beyond measure that all of Lilly's care here at Angell will be paid for, and that her story will live on in all of the animals she will help in the future.

Thank you so much for your contributions, your well wishes and your many messages of support for Lilly, her family and the medical staff at Angell Animal Medical Center.

Oh, and here she is gettin' her exercise on at Angell :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
i was so happy when i read that story because they finally showed something good about pitbulls on the news. They show them as the great breed that they are

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually got to meet her!!!

Well I can confirm Lilly is one of the sweetest dogs I have met. I started following her on facebook and every picture she is around so many people and ding so many things. The Animal Rescue League in Boston, where Lilly was adopted out from, had an event and it was a small detour on the way to the job so I had to pop over real quick :)

My neighbor recently stopped me on a walk to tell me he thought Mel was Lilly (I KNOW they look nothing alike, color, size, legs or anatomy, but I gave the guy a beak, he was 85+, lol) The man told me all about Lilly's story and how he used to be afraid of Mel and I walking by his house but after hearing about lilly and he knows My dog isn't her, but he isn't scared of us anymore and he apologized for being scared when we never gave him a reason to be. It was a GREAT walk home after he told me that :)

Anyway here she is!

She was hiding when I first got there:

But she came out for a treat

then her dad came over and she was trying to hard to give kisses, lol. I missed it, she was successful, but the slippery floor was not helping her, lol:
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

being famous is tiring....

Then I got to meet her :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Thats cool you got the meet her!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
So jealous and mad and jealous!! LOL! So glad you got to meet her! What a celebrity! :)

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks ladies! I agree, I was psyched! lol and she really was a celebrity. I felt bad for all the other pups there, EVERYONE was around Lilly and no one was going up giving them as much love.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts