Go Pitbull Forums banner

Potentially New Owner

619 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  EckoMac 
#1 ·
I've been actively researching about pitbulls and I really would like to adopt one, but I want to make sure I'll give the dog the best care and life it could have. What are some tips for a first time owner and how do you pick the right one for you?

#2 ·
First question you should ask yourself is "will I be happy in a single pet home?" If the answer to that is yes, then continue. If the answer is no, then pick a different breed. More often then not people adopt bull breeds thinking they can have whatever pets they want and find out they can't and then get stuck deciding whether to re-home, or crate and rotate. Not all bull breed dogs can't live with others, but better to be safe then sorry.
As far as selecting the dog you would like. You should look at your lifestyle. I'm a couch potato for the most part with the occasional trip to the pub. So my ideal dog is calm and lazy. I picked one that lounged around in his "foster" home and was mostly calm and loves people. Find rescues that will do a foster to adopt. So you can try the dog in your home for a couple of weeks to make sure they are a proper fit before going through the full adoption process. Then you won't get stuck with a dog that you aren't happy with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.