Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo the dynamic duo strike again! Kaos has been PHENOMENAL with his recall so we let him go out in the front yard off lead to potty occasionally when no one is around as a reward, especially after a good obedience session. He's done SO well. Nala is the runner but I've been working her in the front yard with a long lead and she has really really improved. So today, hubs was coming home early, the entire neighborhood was at work and the kids still at school. I let Ciara out with me first to potty. She never goes anywhere. I went to let her in and I let Nala out. Nala did awesome. She went and sniffed and then came back to me without me calling her (she is very food motivated and I had a pocket full of training treats). Then she would go back out and do the same thing a few times and she finally pottied and was coming right back in (no long lead this time, completely off lead). She did a GREAT job. Now for the big BUT...

Kaos was so excited to go out, he snuck out before Nala was all the way in and it was on! The two ran and pounced and played and took off down the street. Another but...here's the great part. While neither came right away, when I got down a few houses BOTH dogs came when called. Neither had a collar on but I always carry a leash so I slipped it on Nala as a slip lead and Kaos just followed right along back home. While the prisoners escaping is something that I really need to do better on controlling and not allowing to happen, I am completely and totally pleased with their progress and recall today. So not all was lost!

PS - The screen door for the front door was ordered today and the gate has been replaced so progress is being made on securing the jail....

~Jess

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
I guess when Kaos made his break the temptation was too great for Nala. Happy to hear that a dog walker didn't suddenly appear and after a little exercise they did come to you. Baby steps, right. :pupruns::pupruns:

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thankfully no dogs appeared nor did the angry, crazy lady come out screaming! Thank goodness for small favors! Those two crack me up though, now they constantly want to go "out front" and get all whiny and rammy in the window whenever anyone goes out the front door. Guess they really enjoyed that romp! We are learning with Kaos that his freedom to run about, despite the decent sized yard he has to play in, is a true motivator. Since his recall, when alone, is so much better than Nala's, I've been taking him into the Christmas tree farm we have behind our house to work his heel. When he does really well, I let him loose and let him run around the baby trees. The farm is HUGE so there is no fear of crazy ladies or strange dog walkers and he always comes back after running a bit and we work some more. Plus it's out of sight of the girls so I don't have to listen to the whining and beying (Ciara beys any time she is separated from me but can still see me) while we're working. So far it has been really beneficial. Now if that screen door would just get in and installed, we'd be in business!

~Jess

1 - 3 of 3 Posts