Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been doing some reading up on prong collars, but I'm still not clear on how the correction works? Should this be a quick snap on the lead by the handler, or does the correction happen as the dog pulls and the collar tightens? Or both? :confused:

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I just use a quick snap. Just a quick apply off pressure re-enforced with your givin command.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Quick snap. continuous pressure does nothing, just quick jerk then redirect

·
Registered
282 Posts
quick snap, other than the on the correction the leash must be loose at all times so if your dog is on the prong its not time let him roam around loosely

·
Registered
147 Posts
another question.....

do you think if immerse my dog in an area where there are tons of dogs and cats and just have him sit there he will eventually get used to having all these animals around? Sonny isn't DA he has prey drive but as far as seeing other dogs he will whine and want to check them out, only thing is he doesn't know how to. Will i benefit from using the prong collar instead of the slooooow positive method? This is what i'm mixed up about cause right now i'm solely using positive correction and sometimes it just gets frustrating having to start from the start of the street when the other dog is like 9 houses away.

·
Registered
282 Posts
another question.....

do you think if immerse my dog in an area where there are tons of dogs and cats and just have him sit there he will eventually get used to having all these animals around? Sonny isn't DA he has prey drive but as far as seeing other dogs he will whine and want to check them out, only thing is he doesn't know how to. Will i benefit from using the prong collar instead of the slooooow positive method? This is what i'm mixed up about cause right now i'm solely using positive correction and sometimes it just gets frustrating having to start from the start of the street when the other dog is like 9 houses away.
for this case I wouldnt use positive methods because your dog is already excited and the food and petting will only increase it. Practice your sit & stay with a choker, if ur dog moves correct him and place him back, if he whines correct him. It might take a lil while and it might be heartbreaking to correct ur dog while he is whining but if u dont let up and u do it right, it'll work.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
another question.....

Sounds like a nice set up for a bloody little massacre to me :) lol but seriously you need to take exposure slowly and get your boy a basket muzzle to avoid.... mistakes XD

and agree with above as far as corrections go

·
Registered
147 Posts
yeah my trainer showed me the fast way prong and the slow way positive, we were able to have him sit next to other dogs w/ both methods and i know it can be done but he wanted me to use positive since my corrections were slow. however exposure will be taken slow, except during walking where we will encounter other dogs (wandering cats or squirrels) anyways i'm not all squeamish with correcting my dog. I treat my dog like a dog so he's my buddy not some pooch that gets to sleep on my bed. I treat him very well but he knows when he's corrected he did something wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts