Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,563 Posts
i am no expert on this but i want to switch Odin to at least half raw. (kibble in the morning and raw at night) and raw has lots of good points. the dogs actually have to chew their food more, raw is 70% water so they stay hydrated. the food is pure and no fillers. it is the best food u can give ur dog. my only goal with goin half and half is that its easier to prepare one meal a day and if i travel with him then i can bring kibble and not have to worry about raw when im not home.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Could someone explain the pros and cons of a raw diet vs kibble and vice versa thanks in advance
The cons of raw is the meat didn't come from the wild. The domesticated meat ate corn, grains, and very little wild food. The raw is still better than dog food which also uses domesticated meat sources. Another con is freezer space. You have to get a seperate freezer to put the meat in. Cross-contamination of germs is also a problem if you are not careful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The cons for me personally is the MIX of other stuff you need for a complete RAW diet. So now I feed TOTW in the AM and RAW Chicken leg quarters or RAW backs in the evening. Dogs look and act great on this routine. JMO

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Odin be careful of that because dogs digest the foods at different rates and going one and then the other and switching over and over isn't good for them, they need time to adjust to how to digest.

I think feeding raw is really great. I would love to do it if I had a bigger freezer, but I have someone feed my boy dinner for me (I work nights and would rather not make him wait until Midnight) So I cant do raw if they are not on board with it. Finally got my boy good with the food he is on now, so I am also reluctant to switch and start all over.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,563 Posts
Odin be careful of that because dogs digest the foods at different rates and going one and then the other and switching over and over isn't good for them, they need time to adjust to how to digest.

I think feeding raw is really great. I would love to do it if I had a bigger freezer, but I have someone feed my boy dinner for me (I work nights and would rather not make him wait until Midnight) So I cant do raw if they are not on board with it. Finally got my boy good with the food he is on now, so I am also reluctant to switch and start all over.
thanks for the concern Ames. :D from the research and talking with my trainer, i found out that at least 8hrs in between feeding should be sufficent time for each food to digest. at this point he gets fed at 8:30am and 6:30-7:30pm.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
thanks for the concern Ames. :D from the research and talking with my trainer, i found out that at least 8hrs in between feeding should be sufficent time for each food to digest. at this point he gets fed at 8:30am and 6:30-7:30pm.
nice! my research says it takes days to adjust not hours, but hey to each their own :) Whatever works for you and your pup is all that matters :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
i feed my dogs at 6-7 pm 6 days a week once a day (this gives them ample time not to pee in the house before rest). i give small slices/bits of organs here and there throughout the day for performing tasks well. i personally think feeding twice a day (even if you split it in half) is too often. seems with the twice a day method there is always something sitting in the stomach/intestines. the point of a short intestinal system is to get food in and out quickly. once a day gives them something to look forward to. i feel the point of raw is to attempt to mimic the wild and it's highly unlikely a canid would catch two rabbits a day (or anything of comparable size). one a day is a stretch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts