Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, angelbaby just posted a thread just like this one, so instead of jacking that one i'll make my own..

lately, Dre has been growling/barking at my roommate, but its only when we're home and Dre is chillin w/ us.. like we'll be watching TV, dogs are layin in the floor and he comes walking out of the hallway then Dre has a low growl followed by a loud bark/howl type thing.. he watches the dogs all the time when we go out of town and is a big love bug to my roommate .. is he doing this out of protective nature because we're home?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
if it were me i would correct the behavior asap, is he waggin his tail when he does this, or does the growl sound threatning?

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i correct him everytime he does it.. growl sounds more like a warning, not like he's ready to attack or anything.. i'll see if i can get it on video next time he does it.. and the bark is more a startled bark.. i might add he is really sensitive to noises too.. if there is road work nearby he'll run around the back yard barking

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i give him a firm NO! with a finger point.. he looks at me like "ok, i'm sorry", but then does it again... if he keeps it up i usually put him outside for timeout

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has his behaviour changed in any other ways?
not really, he's done this with all of our roommates .. i didnt think anything of it at the time because he didnt really know them like he knows Eddie (current)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Your correction are not effect a finger a point and time out... lol those don't work ;)
Get after him. If he is a sensitive dog then you can use tone of voice and body pressure to make your point. Like if it was Siren she is sensitive and my tone of voice could correct her. I would use my mean voice to tell her no or knock it off but also I would get up and come at her quickly and use my body to put pressure on her to make her move away. I am not touching her but when you move at a dog like that they will move away.
Now Vixen would just look and smile at me if I did that, she needs more of a physical correction. In that case I would put a correction collar on and let him drag a leash around and set him up so have your roommate come in. If he barks grab the leash and give a good correction and tell him no or quiet. Dogs are smart if you correct with a correction that is good enough it should not take long to fix that.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'll give it a try.. he's a stubborn SOB though.. lol... only correction collar i have is a choke

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Two things need to occur.

1. Correction by YOU (and your friend IF you can control the dog to keep your friend safe). Your friend needs to be viewed as a master if you live with this person. Fair but firm.

2. Your friend also needs to build the bond between him and the dog by doing something like food based obedience...something to build trust...but ALSO to identify himself as a provider/alpha. Again fair, but firm.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Is this only at night? If it's only at night he may not be able to see well and the shadows could be scaring him. Mary Jane couldn't see well and would do this same thing at night. She did this to Ryan once wen he walked out of our room and startled her. As soon as he got close as she smelled and realized it was him she stopped and started wagging her tail. Is that what he is acting like?

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Two things need to occur.

1. Correction by YOU (and your friend IF you can control the dog to keep your friend safe). Your friend needs to be viewed as a master if you live with this person. Fair but firm.

2. Your friend also needs to build the bond between him and the dog by doing something like food based obedience...something to build trust...but ALSO to identify himself as a provider/alpha. Again fair, but firm.
Dre and my roommate get along great.. when i'm gone, Dre sleeps in bed w/ him.. thats why this is weird

Is this only at night? If it's only at night he may not be able to see well and the shadows could be scaring him. Mary Jane couldn't see well and would do this same thing at night. She did this to Ryan once wen he walked out of our room and startled her. As soon as he got close as she smelled and realized it was him she stopped and started wagging her tail. Is that what he is acting like?
now that you mention it, it is at night.. that makes a lot of sense too..

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I'd take him in and have his eyes checks out, it could be as simple as that. Maybe put a night light in the hallway so he can see better and see how he reacts.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
he just started this a few weeks ago... he doesn't even need to see him.. if he hears him he starts a low growl , if he walks up he belts out a RRROOOOOOOOO! Lol..

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
also, he doesn't do it every night.. fews out of the week

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Hmmmm maybe it's the combination of hearing something he can't see, that may be a bit scary for him.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts