Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Tyler and my beautiful pup (a bully xl and American mix) is named Harley. She is a 9 week old pup. I just got her today and I have been interested in Pits for years! I have done decent research I believe, but I never thought of researching what to do if the pup was neglected before I got her. Sadly, that is the case with Harley. The people who I got her from barely fed her and were just overall neglectful of her. She is underweight and is very boney. I need help. How can I nurse her back into good shape? Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
First step is vet visit to have her vaccinated and wormed. Then get her a on a quality kibble. Food and time will get her to a good weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First step is vet visit to have her vaccinated and wormed. Then get her a on a quality kibble. Food and time will get her to a good weight.
I got her vaccinated the first day I got her and she isn't eating at all. I'm trying to get her to eat but it's just not working. I'm getting worried tbh

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
A healthy dog will not starve itself. What are you feeding?

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
Hello Tyler and welcome to the forum. Harley couldn't be cuter.
Glad to hear that she was vaccinated but was she wormed? Did you bring her to the vet for a complete check up? Just trying to determine if the vet gave her a clean bill of health.
If that is the case she is being fussy about what she eats. As EckoMac explained, a healthy pup will not starve itself. When it gets hungry enough it will eat whatever you feed her. If she was only vaccinated and was not checked for worms, parvo, mange etc. that should be done ASAP.
Please post back with how she is progressing and what the vet had to say about her.

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hello Tyler and welcome to the forum. Harley couldn't be cuter.
Glad to hear that she was vaccinated but was she wormed? Did you bring her to the vet for a complete check up? Just trying to determine if the vet gave her a clean bill of health.
If that is the case she is being fussy about what she eats. As EckoMac explained, a healthy pup will not starve itself. When it gets hungry enough it will eat whatever you feed her. If she was only vaccinated and was not checked for worms, parvo, mange etc. that should be done ASAP.
Please post back with how she is progressing and what the vet had to say about her.

Joe
Ok guys so a lot has happened within the last few days. I'll start with a few hours after I made this post. So she started to crash quickly. We took her into the emergency vet only to find out she was dying from hookworms. If we would've waited another hour she would've died. The Drs worked with her day and night to help her. They said that she was fighting a losing battle until last night. I can't explain what happened but her health spiked. She was all better and we were able to take her home! Everyone at the vet called her the "miracle baby". It was just insane to hear that you're pup was going to die for three days straight then on the fourth day hear that she is perfectly healthy. She's home now resting on the porch cause she likes the heat. She is also eating Perina wet food to build her strength up and she has no problem with eating now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your baby is adorable!

First and foremost - have her evaluated, vaccinated and dewormed by a veterinarian.

Puppies should be fed smaller amounts more frequently, using a high calorie/fat nutrient rich food. There are also supplements such as NutriCal [available at most pet supply stores] you can give to ensure she's getting what she needs. I would recommend soft food to begin with since it is generally more appealing, and introduce hard food gradually. If you think she isn't eating or drinking enough, don't hesitate to take her to the veterinarian.

Good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
Ok guys so a lot has happened within the last few days. I'll start with a few hours after I made this post. So she started to crash quickly. We took her into the emergency vet only to find out she was dying from hookworms. If we would've waited another hour she would've died. The Drs worked with her day and night to help her. They said that she was fighting a losing battle until last night. I can't explain what happened but her health spiked. She was all better and we were able to take her home! Everyone at the vet called her the "miracle baby". It was just insane to hear that you're pup was going to die for three days straight then on the fourth day hear that she is perfectly healthy. She's home now resting on the porch cause she likes the heat. She is also eating Perina wet food to build her strength up and she has no problem with eating now.
Wow Tyler, really sorry that Harley and you had to go through that ordeal but really happy to hear that she is on the path to recovery. Thanks for acting quickly and getting her to the vet and thanks for the update. Hopefully, the vet will monitor her for awhile.

Joe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Omg your baby is just too cute and thank God you did what you did bravo I hope everything will be ok going forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Omg your baby is just too cute and thank God you did what you did bravo I hope everything will be ok going forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you very much! Everything is so much better now! She's strong as ever and eats whatever now so that's awesome! She's also filling out. This is her now

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts