Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that a popular form of exercise for the pitbull breed is pulling. Obviously, being a working breed they must love it. I have a ten month old blue nose, and I was wondering at what age could I get her started without damaging her baby bones? Also, how do i get her started????

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Check out the weight pulling section

Weight Pulling - Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums

some good info in there. I plan on getting Kane started (he's also around 10 months) shortly and will be getting a harness from Nizmo. I don't plan on ever going super heavy so Niz's stuff should work great.

Anyways lots of people start dogs off young, pulling a light chain or something just so they get used to the motion / having something behind them. Just take it easy with adding weight.

·
Registered
776 Posts
you can just put a regular harness on her and have her drag a milk jug with rocks in it around .. get her used to the noise. good harnesses are not real expensive so when she is full grown or close , get her the real thing !
if you dont plan to compete , ther is no reason to get too heavy . an old tire will suffice.
I still use an old tire for Brocks training , i just toss some free weight plates in it after he is good and warmed up.
Pup only gets one chance to grow up right , dont rush things and have her looked over good by the vet before . Let the vet know you plan to pull so he can try and detect any problems.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
you can just put a regular harness on her and have her drag a milk jug with rocks in it around .. get her used to the noise. good harnesses are not real expensive so when she is full grown or close , get her the real thing !
if you dont plan to compete , ther is no reason to get too heavy . an old tire will suffice.
I still use an old tire for Brocks training , i just toss some free weight plates in it after he is good and warmed up.
Pup only gets one chance to grow up right , dont rush things and have her looked over good by the vet before . Let the vet know you plan to pull so he can try and detect any problems.
:goodpost: we have a puppy harness that you pretty much just put on them and let them chew and go crazy on to get used to having one on.. then when they are ready you can start with the milk jug or a real light chain.. anything light weight that will be noisy.. they have to get used to havin the noise behind them :D

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I wouldnt start weight until closer to 16 months they are still growing and its easier to damage ligaments and bones right now which could end up permenent damage. You could start getting the pup used to a harness and maybe something like and empty milk jug behind him showing him not to be scarred about things dragging behind. You dont really want to buy a weightpull harness right now though or you will be buying another in say 6-12 months as he is still filling out { unless you have money to throw around like that lol} Should see if there is an ADBA group near you or something the one up here has a weight pulling group they formed we joined with them this year they pretty much help you get started and offer training classes throughout the year and tips for anyone in there group as they progress ect, might be worth looking into.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.