Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just want to know if anyone as any advice for me on how to keep my dog from getting way to excited when seeing another dog, it's not in a bad way he's just really happy and wants to run right over , he wont listen to a thing once he sees another dog, he pretty much chokes himself while i have him on the leash, i dont use a choke chain or a spiked collar on him should i use one of these to get him passed this stage?, he's new with me, have only had him about 3 days now, he's about 10 months from what the vet tells me, any ideas that may help me out"?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Work on basic obedience at home or bring him to a training class. Exercise him in the yard until you have control of him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
training class is coming soon.. but just wanted to know if anyone had some advice other than take him to a class or get a trainer, was just pretty much wondering what i should do to get his attention away and focus more on me and what i say while in the situation, thanks though, the training class is definitely coming in the next few weeks, we've spent everything we had to give this dog a home this past week.. so we have to wait about 2 or 3 weeks to pay for him to go.. just wanted something i could start working on before we go to the classes

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
You can try doing some obed, but you may just have to deal with it forever. My dog is trained well on the leash, doesn't pull, walks politely, but as soon as she sees another dog she causes a scene and starts to howl and whine. I can tell her to "leave it" and it helps a little bit, but she still whines and stuff. I know of quite a few people who have pitties who freak everytime they see another animal. Gotta remember that this breed tends to be DA.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
sounds like the prior owner may have let him greet anything at anytime. I have a few of these dogs on my walks and its horrible for me, owning a dog who could be DA and having dogs run up to him all the time (leashed and not leashed). Always makes me so nervous and makes me think the owner does not have control, which is scary. (not saying this is your case, just what it makes me think) Work on the leave it command and once he gets that spot on. Is he neutered? I had a hard time getting my pups focus until he was neutered. Once that happened it was like a light went off on his puppy head and he was less anxious and could focus soooo much better. Do you have an friends who own a dog who might be willing to help you? I am not talking about getting your dogs to play together, but have them go to the same park or the same street and work on his leave it with a distraction by someone who knows what your trying to do, and not get paranoid

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like the prior owner may have let him greet anything at anytime. I have a few of these dogs on my walks and its horrible for me, owning a dog who could be DA and having dogs run up to him all the time (leashed and not leashed). Always makes me so nervous and makes me think the owner does not have control, which is scary. (not saying this is your case, just what it makes me think) Work on the leave it command and once he gets that spot on. Is he neutered? I had a hard time getting my pups focus until he was neutered. Once that happened it was like a light went off on his puppy head and he was less anxious and could focus soooo much better. Do you have an friends who own a dog who might be willing to help you? I am not talking about getting your dogs to play together, but have them go to the same park or the same street and work on his leave it with a distraction by someone who knows what your trying to do, and not get paranoid
im working on his leave it, he's picking it up, just a little stubborn at times, all it takes now is a little quick tug on the leash and he stops looks at me and waits till i start moving again.. He will be getting neutered on Tuesday morning, does this make a big difference in focusing? or is it only in certain dogs? i have heard mixed things from others..

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
im working on his leave it, he's picking it up, just a little stubborn at times, all it takes now is a little quick tug on the leash and he stops looks at me and waits till i start moving again.. He will be getting neutered on Tuesday morning, does this make a big difference in focusing? or is it only in certain dogs? i have heard mixed things from others..
You will get mixed advice and comments on neutering but some people are anti-neutering anyways so take it with a grain of salt. I have owned both intact and neutered males and in my experience the neutered males were better pets and got less agitated. Intact males will listen but it all depends on there training. Our intact males were K9 dogs used for police work so they were WELL trained. I had two intact males in my last OB class who were over a year old. Both of them acted like hormonal teenage boys with ADD sniffing everything and whiney. Pets should be spayed and neutered regardless especially where you rescued him. Why didn't they fix him before he left the rescue anyways?? Rescues usually don't adopt out until they are fixed especially where your guy is older he should have been done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will get mixed advice and comments on neutering but some people are anti-neutering anyways so take it with a grain of salt. I have owned both intact and neutered males and in my experience the neutered males were better pets and got less agitated. Intact males will listen but it all depends on there training. Our intact males were K9 dogs used for police work so they were WELL trained. I had two intact males in my last OB class who were over a year old. Both of them acted like hormonal teenage boys with ADD sniffing everything and whiney. Pets should be spayed and neutered regardless especially where you rescued him. Why didn't they fix him before he left the rescue anyways?? Rescues usually don't adopt out until they are fixed especially where your guy is older he should have been done.
He is all set for tommorows neutering, the place where i rescued him, gave me a voucher to have his shots and neutering done free of charge from some participating vets in the area that the shelter works with... Ghost wasnt in the animal control shelter long maybe a week or so, he was just able to be adopted on the day we got him :) hopefully it will make him focus a little more as far as the training goes with him, he is learning a bunch of things fast, one of the things he is having a tough time learning is his name, but he learns everything else fast, like sit, lay down, no, high 5, spin left, spin right, up and jump, just his name is not clickng with him for some reason, im gonna give a call to the shelter and see if they knew of his previous name or if he even had one, he may just be really used to it or something, all they called him by was numbers when i got him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts