Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed before but...I've been seeing more and more people pedling puppies that are 5-6 weeks old just trying to sell them at Christmas...

I thought it was benificial to pups to stay with their mother and siblings until they were at LEAST 7-8 weeks old...That's where they get their beginning socialization as well and behavioral training...

am I wrong?? I would keep my pups up to 12 weeks if needed...

I just don't get it...

:snow:

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
It is beneficial for dogs to stay with their mother for at LEAST 7 weeks, preferably 8. That's the "accepted" time frame that a reputable breeder would go by. Although for smaller, toy breeds, it's gravitated towards 12 weeks.

Typically, if you see a puppy that's advertised ready to go at 5-6 weeks, it's because the person is a BYB and is only trying to make money. That's also why you see a lot of puppies crop up around Christmas time. It's the PERFECT Christmas gift!! :hammer:

Dogs who were taken from their mothers at 5-6 weeks can develop behavioral problems if the owner isn't dog-savvy enough to know what they have to do to minimize those behavioral problems developing. And as I'm sure you're aware, most people aren't dog-savvy enough. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what I thought...my pups were born 11/2/11 and will be 7 weeks on 12/21.... so I have no problem with them going at Christmas...but they're all going to friends and family 1) because it wasn't a planned litter and 2) I'd never breed my dogs for profit...but I keep seeing "pups ready at Christmas" pop up in my area when I know for a fact their dogs were born mid to late november...I feel bad for the pups...

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Yes this is sad, I breed working dogs here in Texas and I just had a litter the 30th of november. My pups wont be leaving till the end of january. Some pups stay even later for 3 months in a training program. It is imperative for pups to stay with the mother imo at least 7, to 8 wks. If they leave early they loose fundamentals taught by their mother and litter mate's. How had is to hard when play biting ect. ect. Its a sad situation wuch happens often across our country. Byb are trying to make a quick buck and what better time to catiplize on peoples emotions than Christmas.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I'm sure this has been discussed before but...I've been seeing more and more people pedling puppies that are 5-6 weeks old just trying to sell them at Christmas...

I thought it was benificial to pups to stay with their mother and siblings until they were at LEAST 7-8 weeks old...That's where they get their beginning socialization as well and behavioral training...

am I wrong?? I would keep my pups up to 12 weeks if needed...

I just don't get it...

:snow:
To the right home I would rather get my puppies at 5 weeks old so the breeder does not mess up my puppy! lol they are very impressionable at that age and training starts right away. A litter kept together is hard to keep clean for even the best breeder and having puppies in an area where they are peeing and pooping all the time makes house breaking and crate training just a little harder sometimes so I would rather have then younger. Also many APBT females have to be separated from the pups as young as 3 weeks sometimes. Being with the mother is good but not necessary for a healthy pup. Having litter mates to play with is good but a pup taken at 5-6 weeks is no big deal like I see so many people make it. It will not have a long lasting effect on a pup if you get them young, behavior problems that pop up are usually the owners fault then they try to blame it on getting the pup young. If you are alpha and assertive owner from the start and behavior issue (if it is not temperament related) can be curbed at an early age including DA.

So 5 weeks is a little young when you consider vaccines but I think 6 weeks is just fine. Some breeders like to do 8-9 weeks and that is fine too. Just don't get sucked into the belief getting a pup at 6 weeks is bad for the pup or you. It's all up to you as the owner to set the tone with the pup.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I don't know ... it scares me to think of the average pet owner getting a puppy, especially a pit bull puppy, at such an early age. There are so many things you can do wrong, too soon.

I'm not saying something will go wrong every time and the dog will turn out badly just from that .... just that there's a higher chance of it. :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To the right home I would rather get my puppies at 5 weeks old so the breeder does not mess up my puppy! lol they are very impressionable at that age and training starts right away. A litter kept together is hard to keep clean for even the best breeder and having puppies in an area where they are peeing and pooping all the time makes house breaking and crate training just a little harder sometimes so I would rather have then younger. Also many APBT females have to be separated from the pups as young as 3 weeks sometimes. Being with the mother is good but not necessary for a healthy pup. Having litter mates to play with is good but a pup taken at 5-6 weeks is no big deal like I see so many people make it. It will not have a long lasting effect on a pup if you get them young, behavior problems that pop up are usually the owners fault then they try to blame it on getting the pup young. If you are alpha and assertive owner from the start and behavior issue (if it is not temperament related) can be curbed at an early age including DA.

So 5 weeks is a little young when you consider vaccines but I think 6 weeks is just fine. Some breeders like to do 8-9 weeks and that is fine too. Just don't get sucked into the belief getting a pup at 6 weeks is bad for the pup or you. It's all up to you as the owner to set the tone with the pup.
I get what you're saying and understand... I might consider letting a pup go @ 6 weeks if it was to a reputable person/breeder...but the ones I'm seeing are going to pet homes and inexperienced pit owners.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
yeah I always thought the socialization for the pups was good at that age, but I guess if you own this breed they should not really be playing with other dogs anyway so I can see what you are saying PK. But I agree if the person taking the dog has NO experience, they could really screw it up. then again this is probably not an ideal first time owner breed unless they have done research.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Around here (Cali) is actually a law puppies and kittens are supposed to be 8 weeks before being sold..... not that anyone knows it. Few people, IMO, are knowledgeable enough or have enough time to replace the socialization the puppy would get by remaining with the litter, though there are, of course, exceptions. I doubt they are the ones answering 'just in time for Christmas' ads though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts