Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
English staffy 4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya fellas!
Recently got a staffy, and yeah it's not a pitbull, but dog have similar vibe so i decided to post here, not on poodle owner's forum!
So pup is patient, get things quickly, eats like crocodile - in general cool guy to go along with!
But the thing is, that there is kinda cold nowdays and i can't go for a 20-30 min walks everyday with him because if weather is bad this dog is evolving into donkey, so only pee wee and go back.
Do you have any cool activities for your pitbull pup's that you can provide them indoor to wear them out ?

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Hello conan_the_obstructor and welcome to the forum!
We like all dogs here and a Staffy is still a bully. Glad to hear that pup is doing well. You are correct, that puppy needs lots of exercise, mentally and physically. Winter months are always tough and my dogs usually put on weight and so do I. When the weather here is too severe to walk outside I use my own treadmill to walk them on. I trained them as pups to walk on the treadmill with me and by their selves. They learn really easy and will sometimes just get on and look at me to turn it on for them. If you are in an area that has months of bad weather days it might be worth while to find a treadmill.
Often you can find them used at a decent price when people buy them but find they don't use them.

Also do a search for some mental challanges you can do with the puppy. Hiding treats, training them to sit, stay, lay down, shake, roll over etc.

Lastly, we would love to see some pictures of your new boy. What did you name him?

Joe

·
Registered
English staffy 4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He was planned to be Amon but i stayed with his original name Oggi ;) Other dog is my gf's doggo,
they are allowed to play together inside twice a day if weather is a no no. Oggi even stopped to be rough while playing,
learned fast that she's not another staffy haha, except when he needs a poop, then he's grumpy in general, but 5 minutes at grass, and he's like
"Dude, thanks for taking me to toilet, but it's cold, time to go home and chill!".
About a treadmill, my dad used to build one for our pittie, but we lived then in a countryside, now i live in a medium sized flat, so i have place for it, but im afraid
it can be too noisy for neighbours.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
Hide and seek treats and toys. Fetch with a soft ball. satisfying chew toys. Training sessions throughout the day.
Work the mind as well as the body and he'll tire out for you.
I had the opposite problem here when I got Geach. Too hot for him outside. So these are things I did to keep him busy.

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Oggi it is, thanks. Great pictures conan_the_obstructor. Puppies don't get any cuter. Happy that the dogs get along so well. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

·
Registered
English staffy 4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oggi it is, thanks. Great pictures conan_the_obstructor. Puppies don't get any cuter. Happy that the dogs get along so well. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
They get along but i separate them for x time/day by purpose, allready bought barriers, i allow them to play together, and rest of their shared time is just getting along and learning that home is kinda calm place - which is important if i don't want to end up on dog's playground, also i applied strict rules on everything that was kinda loose when we got one dog and they are doing fine, no annoyance on each other. Even bought some books on dog behaviours because it's actually really interesting when you start noticing more on their body language. But the hardest part is to teach my girlfirend that dog is actually complex animal, and we currently don't have just two separate animals but a pack ;)
PS
On his rabies vaccination proof he is listed as Oggi the schnitzel hahaha

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Sounds like you are right on top of things and are playing things safe. Glad to hear.
Love Oggi the Schnitzel :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use treadmills like previously mentioned. I have a foldup power treadmill that is really quiet and I know some apartment folk who have been fine with them too.

But if you are worried about that still, totally fair. I have taken some fitness training courses and we also use some stability equipment and exercises. We have a peanut (a big inflatable peanut shaped thing) that they balance on and we do like down to stands. And we have a wobble board and all kinds of other stuff. The nice part is it works their brains and tires them out nicely. We also do some stretches on the equipment. And we do plenty without equipment too. Like sit to stand (with a kickback stand where front feet don't move), backing up is actually a good exercise, leg weaves. My dogs do "burpees" - down, sit pretty, jump up to touch my hand in the air. There are lots of creative ideas out there when you start looking. I worked with some certified folk. There is a book by a lady named Kyra Sundance called Canine Conditioning that is interesting, though she has ridiculous amounts of equipment she uses but the book itself is cheap and sometimes you can get creative (and Amazon often sells equipment not made specifically for dogs but that is plenty durable) A company called Absolute Dogs has a program called Fast, Fit Flex that can be bought online. All their stuff is expensive, but once you have the video, you have it.

All that vagueness to say, there are cool resources out there. Good luck. If you are on instagram I can dig up the name of a handler I know who posts cool fitness games. Don't remember it off the top of my head, but I could hunt it down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We were just running around the house looking for the ball or competing. If it's very cold, then my Dani doesn't even want to look outside, so I need to think of something to direct his energy somewhere.

·
Registered
English staffy 4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We were just running around the house looking for the ball or competing. If it's very cold, then my Dani doesn't even want to look outside, so I need to think of something to direct his energy somewhere.
Now it's kinda warmer, pup is bigger so i'm taking a bus and walk with him around nearby forest, he is interested in running around and sniffing bushes more than in anything else, at home i'm teaching him to track down cinnamon bag around the house and some basic obedience commands, and dude sleeps well and don't eat my furniture so i think it's going fine ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts