Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 22 week old pitbull and my girlfriend has a 1.5 year old pug, both males. They sleep, eat and play together.. my pitbull plays VERY rough with the pug and every once in a while the pug will start get annoyed and bark and growl at him and my puppy fights back until I grab him and tell him no in a firm voice.. he then goes away and pouts and remAins ill for about 30 mins and when I pick him up he will not bite. But a light growl. Then I correct him, and then he is fine.. the pug is getting nurtured next week and my pit when he's about 1 to 1.5.. what should I do to prevent the pug from getting hurt and him from growling at me?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He has never been aggressive with any other dog nor growled at me any other time besides this, and he knows I'm dominant because when me and him play rough and I put him on his back he gives in and stays immediately

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has never been aggressive with any other dog nor growled at me any other time besides this, and he knows I'm dominant because when me and him play rough and I put him on his back he gives in and stays immediately

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
First, you don't have to put your dogs on their back for them to know you're in charge. You control everything about their lives, from when and what they can eat, when they can go outside, when they can play, etcetcetc. You're already in control. Being dominant or your dog's leader is not about laying them flat on the ground every once in a while. It's about being firm, calm, and disciplined.

Secondly, you need to be more proactive about the situation. As the leader, it's up to you to interrupt your puppy when you notice him getting the pug annoyed. THAT'S when you step in and tell him to knock it off. Separate him from the pug, tell him to lay down and stay if he knows those commands, and give him a "time out" for a minute or two. He has to learn that rough play means NO play. You want to nip this in the bud now before your puppy gets older, bigger, and stronger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you, yes he does know lay but does not stay very well, how do u do the timeout thing with him? And also it seems as if all they know is rough play??? They do it all the time and this only happens every so often..

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
For the time out, you can just put him in a separate room for a minute or two. When you see the pug get annoyed, immediately scoop up your puppy, and plop him in another room and close the door. He should learn pretty quickly that play stops as soon as play gets too rough.

Rough play CAN be fine -- as long as you know WHEN to step in. When things seem to be getting very intense and focused, that's when you clap your hands, say no, and separate the two.

When the pug feels like he has to correct your puppy, you've let it go on too long.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
i htink you did good with the correction and thats appropriate.

my puppy annoys old4er dogs sometimes. the pug growling is just their way of saying "back off, youre to much". as the apbt gets older i would supervise their time together. dont want to come home to a dead pug

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
always supervise if you see something the pup is gonna do that you know will annoy the pug then correct the situation whether it be removing a toy, or tossing one of the dogs outside or in a room. as far as time out goes i dont believe in it but if you intent on trying it DO NOT PUT HIM IN TIME OUT IN A CRATE the crate is supposed to be his happy place. like every one said it would suck to come home to a dead pug and i dont think your girl would be to thrilled to come home to that either.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
This could be your warning signs of bad things to come. Pit bulls are naturally dog aggressive and when they get upset aggression can come out. If he is already growling at your pug I think you are doing the right thing by correcting but since you have two males (even if they you had a female) the chances you will have to permanently separate them is high. A couple things to remember when owning a pit and another other dogs. Never leave them alone together, always crate or separate with one outside. If not you can come home to a dead dog. Never feed them together feed them in crates and separate. No food toys that will cause a fight.

As your male matures you will probably have to separate them for the safety of your smaller dog. also time outs do not work for dogs, they do not reason like a child does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts