Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going back and forth between a puppy class held by an AKC trainer (more then just my dog in the room) or getting a personal trainer. The personal trainer I have heard nothing but good things about him and he has pitbull experience. He trains all ages, but his specialty is problemed dogs, which at 3 months old my dog has no issues, just needs obedience class. I have asked other people/the pound/the vet who they recommend and they all recommend this guy. He does 2, 2hr courses. He works with the dog and me in my house to give us guidance, then he comes back weeks later for the second 2 hr course to polish everything up. Any input on this?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I do both private and group lessons. Private are more for problem dogs or people do not have time to train the dog so I go and train the dog for them. Group classes is what I would recommend for a 3 month old puppy. A 2 hr private lesson is too much for a puppy brain to handle and at this point IMO a waste of money. I know I charge $65 an hr for private lessons but I charge $85 for 6 weeks in group lessons. Your puppy needs the other ppl and dogs in the class at this age. Later on if you want to do private lessons and fine tune what you learned that would be a good idea but not this young. An AKC trainer is just like another other trainer they just belong to an AKC club or do AKC obed and that is a good thing. In addition to my business I train at an AKC club and we have great trainers and no so great trainers but for a puppy class it is hard to mess them up. Puppy class is great for confidence I say go with the group ;)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I would find a better trainer than petco but group classes is still better than a 2hr private lesson at 3months old. That is way too long for a pup, if Petco is the only place to go then just take the puppy class and then start with the privates.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thoughts exactly. I'm not crazy about taking her to petco, but the local dog training put on by the city says no pitbull type dog. I have heard just such good things about this personal trainer, but when he said 2hrs, i was like she will loose intrest so fast and get burnt out and then wont want to train at all. See my dilema.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts