Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should i start brushing my pup's teeth? I just got Pet Dental toothpaste but dont know if i should be brushing his teeth, as he is 5.5 months. i noticed his breath is a little bit stinky (fishy) just a little bit, its not his glands, cuz i extract them every other week, and make sure they are empty, but i also read that stinky breath could be because he is teething, and when the teeth fall out, and the adult teeth come in, it leaves room for bacteria to grow causing th smell.. As he is almost through with most of his teething, his breath isn't as rank as it was, but i dont want it to be a problem.

should i start brushing his teeth, and how often should i do it?

Anybody disagree with four paws pet dental tooth paste? Any recommendations on a better one, or does it not really matter?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I don't brush my dogs teeth. I give them raw bones for that. I don't see why you couldn't brush his teeth once a day. I have no idea about the toothpaste. What are you feeding him?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
If you are going to do teeth now is the time to start. I give raw and nylabones and that really helps but I also get a tooth scaler like the dentists have and keep the teeth clean that way. I just scrape the plaque off about once a month but you have to be careful if you do this not to damage the teeth. None of my current dogs have to have dentals at the vets because I take care of them myself. Even my 12 year old has the teeth of a 5 year old. Brushing is good too but you have to do it daily or at least 3 times a week to keep up with the build up.
I do not think the type of paste matters, I find it easiest to have the dog lay on it's side and I will do one side at a time. If you can get them laying down and relaxed on their side then brushing should be easy. This is good training for the pup.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Aimee, He eats Innova Puppy.

@ Performance, ok, i'll keep @ it, i did it last night, but didnt notice a difference in breath really.. He is my second dog and i didnt have to brush my first one, but i also dont remember the bad breath on my older boy...lol...Oh well, different strokes for different blokes... LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts