Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old puppy Rosey has had diarrhea almost every day for the past week. It started last Monday. We took her to the vet last Tuesday to get spayed and they also gave us a probiotic paste to stop the diarrhea plus some other pain meds while she heels from the surgery. We've been giving her the probiotic in with her food. We've also switched to a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and brown rice. She normally eats Wellness kibble for puppies and we've been mixing some of that in with the rice and chicken. My girlfriend thinks it's the chicken that is upsetting her stomach so we started giving her just rice and kibble. Her poop was starting to harden up yesterday and the day before but it was diarrhea again this morning.

Her behavior is normal and we've been giving her plenty of water so she stay hydrated. Do anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? I might call the vet tomorrow if it doesn't improve by tomorrow morning but I'd like to get some input from the knowledgeable people on this site.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
cute dog!! did your vet do a fecal? I would put the dog on metronidazole for a week and see if it helps. It is an antibiotic for the gut and also anti inflammatory for the bowels. I would start there and I am surprised your vet didn't try that first.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They didn't do a fecal when she was there. I'm not sure why not because they told me she pooped in there office after the surgery. I think they were too busy cleaning up the mess to get a sample. I'll call my vet to see if i can get a script for metronidazole.

Also, my neighbor suggested I give her a little bit of Immodium to stop diarrhea. Is that a bad idea?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.