Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at other threads about puppy biting and I've tried putting into action the advice offered. However, Storm isnt affected by any of it. I tried putting my finger to the back of mouth about 15 times (only when she tries to bite my fingers) and she keeps coming back to get my fingers. Then she gets a little upset and starts to bark at me when she cant get my fingers. I did get her at 10wks so I figured she learned from her mom and her littermates how not to bite. I also tried popping her nose when she bites too, but no luck, she wants to keep biting. My fiance says to grab her mouth and keep it closed and it lets her know who's boss. He actually did this and she didnt go for his hand for about 10 mins. Hmm?

Since she's deaf, I know she cant hear me say no or yelp. I dont like hitting, but if she bites too hard, I do give her a little wack on the butt and she sits and I hand her a toy. Is that bad?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I looked at other threads about puppy biting and I've tried putting into action the advice offered. However, Storm isnt affected by any of it. I tried putting my finger to the back of mouth about 15 times (only when she tries to bite my fingers) and she keeps coming back to get my fingers. Then she gets a little upset and starts to bark at me when she cant get my fingers. I did get her at 10wks so I figured she learned from her mom and her littermates how not to bite. I also tried popping her nose when she bites too, but no luck, she wants to keep biting. My fiance says to grab her mouth and keep it closed and it lets her know who's boss. He actually did this and she didnt go for his hand for about 10 mins. Hmm?

Since she's deaf, I know she cant hear me say no or yelp. I dont like hitting, but if she bites too hard, I do give her a little wack on the butt and she sits and I hand her a toy. Is that bad?
ive had the same issues with moose,and like you ive tried what advice has been given,but nothing has worked.what ive been doing is biting back:)i know this is probally unconventional,but i hold his mouth closed and bite his lip!he cries(i dont bite him really hard)but it stops him from biting!!!!:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
when she starts nippin give her a toy to chew on teach her what to use her mouth for. my exp it never worked to grab mouth or swat the nose just try givin her a toy

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried putting a toy in her face, but she drops it. I also tried giving her a toy and playing with her...then she'll forget about the toy and try going for my fingers again. I think I'll try the thumb under tongue and and finger under chin...

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
All fun has to stop when they nip. I push the pup on their side, and hold them firmly until they have calmed down and stopped struggling. Then, when they are calm I let them up and give them a toy. Keep in mind that no bite inhibition training is going to make it stop in one round, you have to do this every single time, for as long as it takes. EVERYONE in the house has to have the same response, so work it out amongst yourselves, and be consistent. Smacking, biting etc, any kind of aggression is going to tell your pup that aggression is ok, be a firm pack leader, not just another pack member on the same level as the pup. And biting the pup in the face is only going to tell it that once it can overpower you, biting you in the face is a good way to get what he wants.

Basically the pup needs to know that nipping and biting get it the opposite of a desired effect, its happy and playing, bites, and suddenly game ends. Your deaf pup cannot hear you yelp, but it can read your body language, and it knows what a pained reaction looks like, so go ahead and keep yelping and jumping back, then end of game, pups on his side. It took a month to break my bulldog of biting and nipping, and it was very slow progress, but in the end they get it.

3,968 Posts
give her things she will like to chew on a lot how old is she? examples of tings would be chicken broth ice cubes, frozen carrots, hard dog cookies. just things like that so it will sooth her teeth but also be tasty so she keeps interest. put one of those things in front of her nose if she lets go of your hand and goes for whatever it is you have say yes the moment she lets go and use the hard treat as a reward. try not to pull your hands away quickly! this will make the puppy want to chase after your hands the barking sounds a lot like demand barking dont give in and try working on obedience training.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I Hold the bottom jaw and annoy them that way so they don't want to open their mouth on you

3,968 Posts
I Hold the bottom jaw and annoy them that way so they don't want to open their mouth on you
i heard o f people holding their thumb under the dogs tongue and adding some pressure never tried it myself.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Doug used the same technique with our pups, one learned that way and the others...well they thought it was fun and or more irritating lol. I pick the puppy up and hold him/her to my upper body and make their head stay to my chest with a hand over their snout and give a stern "No!" then i tell them "be sweet" and give em kisses on the top of their head after they stop squirming around. It encourages your dog to become a licker, but it keeps them from nipping! it gives them the attention that they desire... Sometimes when they get excited they nip you while licking and you remind them "be sweet!" my dogs give kisses on comand now lol all you have to say is 'be sweet'. I just kill em with kindness lol

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
i think sickin any body part in there mouth when they are already upset is fueling the fire and stupid
some stuff works for some dogs others dont. not every technique is going to work on every dog. so calling something people have successfully used is abit much.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
i think sickin any body part in there mouth when they are already upset is fueling the fire and stupid
Well 10 years and it hasn't ever failed me and I have never been bitin by a dog. If you can't teach them to have a body part near it you are not properly training.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Ahhh I always start with hand signals for training anyway... you can still use either hollys suggestion or mine... just substitute a handsignal for the verbal command.

3,968 Posts
well i guess your lucky your dog isnt blind because they learn more visualy then they do by noise. so a hand signal is a stronger ob cue then the word sit. you could use hiding your hands behind your back but do not do it fast or the pup may want to chase. do this when she lets go of your hand instead of saying no. since the treat should be in the other hand keep that one in view so it will encourage her to go for that.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
She's 11wks now and remember she's deaf so she cant hear me.
That one reason making it uncomfortable for her when she bites you will help you. She will start to realize she doesn't like the response she gets when she bites. Make sure your expression shows that you do not like this biting

·
Registered
41 Posts
i said in the mouth not near cant u read. well that about 20 years less than me ive seen it all. i suppose u think bitin its lip is a good idea too

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
I had someone suggest to me one time to use breath spray... but the one pup I tried it on, it didn't phase him (Debo, the one in my sig line). He apparently enjoyed having minty fresh breath! I was told this by the breeder I had gotten him from, she said it worked for her. But, when it didn't work on Debo, I had to resort to other methods. Biting him back would only entice him to want to play more, at first. But once I got thru to him, he got the point. Different methods work for different dogs. I've not ever dealt with a deaf dog, but my guess would be the method American Pit suggested would work best for you since you're dealing with a deaf dog. I have had other dogs where I had to use the method American Pit suggested, and it worked, where as others would only think it wa a game, and want to bite again. Now, back to Debo.. when I bit him, i didn't bite his lip or his ear... I would put his whole muzzle in my mouth and apply slight pressure (not enough to really hurt him), and hold him there till he whined and wiggled to get loose. I would let him go, still holding his collar, make him look me directly in the eye, and tell him "No bite, bad dog!" Again, it just depends on the individual dog as to what method will work best.

Uh, watchdawg... not trying to be rude, but how much experience do you have with this breed? I'm just asking b/c I see you're new to the board, and notice that yo're already debating and doubting breeders' experience as to training methods and whatnot. Again, not trying to start nothin, but just curious to your experience. There are several well experienced breeders and/or trainers on here that can provide various training methods or advice reguarding this wonderful breed to the lesser-experienced. I haven't been in the breed long, and am not a breeder, but have plenty of experience training many different bully types, as well as other breeds. While I'm not currently a trainer, that doesn't exclude or eliminate my ability to offer guidance/advice to others who have questions.

So, anyways... back to the OP... good luck, and as someone stated above, pick one method and get everyone in the house to conform to that method. Stick with it, be consistant and you should be good to go! Keep us posted and let us know how it goes!

Reactions: American_Pit13
1 - 20 of 66 Posts