Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 3 month and a half puppy wont go pee or poop outside well she goes when she wants to but i would brinng her out there and she will not pee at all she just runs back and forth and smell the grass but after a while when i bring her inside she would poop or pee. she sleeps in the crates

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Is she on a strict feeding schedule? You could try feeding her at the same time every day so that her poo schedule becomes more regular.

Also, be careful about how and when you are disciplining her when she goes in the house. She may be confused about the appropriate place to go. She is likley at ease when she is in the house and feels comfortable enough to go potty there. If you are scolding her when she is doing that she may not be associating the scolding with the location but rather the act itself. So then when you take her outside and you are waiting for her to do her thing she can sense you are watching her closely and perhaps afraid that if she goes she will be scolded.

This is why you need to really focus on the positive reinforcement for when she goes in the right place, and less of the negative when she goes in the house.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I posted this in another thread as well. Housetraining is the responsibility of the pet owner. Puppies take weeks to completely housetrain, sometimes months. Housetraining is about consistency. Take your puppy outside as often as possible. I try to take the puppies outside every 30 mins when they're out of their crates. When they go potty outside, we praise them. While they're inside, it's essential you keep an eye on them, if you can't put the puppy in the crate. The key is to catch them in the act of going to bathroom inside. When you do, give a firm "no" but do not scream or hit them, you don't want your puppy to loose focus of what you're trying to teach them. Pick them up, even if they're not done, and take them directly outside. It's important to use the same door and area every time, remember it's about consistency. You can even hang a bell on a string and ring it when you go outside with your puppy. Make sure it's where they can reach it. Often times they'll start nudging it when they need to go outside if your consistent enough. When you put them on the ground outside, give them praise. Some times it takes awhile for them to finish outside, when they do, give lots of praise. If they don't, put them in their crate. Crates should only be big enough for them to turn around in, otherwise they'll use the corner as a bathroom. When you take the puppy out of the crate take them directly outside. If they don't go potty, they go back in the crate. Try again in 30 minutes. We always have foster puppies at our house and we usually get them housetrained with this method within a week or 2 depending on their age.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello there -

The advice of ABR (the poster above me) is awesome. Upon getting the info, my bf and I started doing this immediately with our 3 month old puppy and guess what!?! NO ACCIDENTS IN THE HOUSE YESTERDAY AT ALL!!!!!!!

Also, our boy wasn't real cool with going outside when we first stuck him out there so we sent him out there with my bf's roommate's older Lab and he followed the older dog's example. After that, Caine was okay with going outside and actually 'asks' to go out periodically (more and more each day).

Do you have someone with a dog you trust to show your puppy what she's supposed to do?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I posted this in another thread as well. Housetraining is the responsibility of the pet owner. Puppies take weeks to completely housetrain, sometimes months. Housetraining is about consistency. Take your puppy outside as often as possible. I try to take the puppies outside every 30 mins when they're out of their crates. When they go potty outside, we praise them. While they're inside, it's essential you keep an eye on them, if you can't put the puppy in the crate. The key is to catch them in the act of going to bathroom inside. When you do, give a firm "no" but do not scream or hit them, you don't want your puppy to loose focus of what you're trying to teach them. Pick them up, even if they're not done, and take them directly outside. It's important to use the same door and area every time, remember it's about consistency. You can even hang a bell on a string and ring it when you go outside with your puppy. Make sure it's where they can reach it. Often times they'll start nudging it when they need to go outside if your consistent enough. When you put them on the ground outside, give them praise. Some times it takes awhile for them to finish outside, when they do, give lots of praise. If they don't, put them in their crate. Crates should only be big enough for them to turn around in, otherwise they'll use the corner as a bathroom. When you take the puppy out of the crate take them directly outside. If they don't go potty, they go back in the crate. Try again in 30 minutes. We always have foster puppies at our house and we usually get them housetrained with this method within a week or 2 depending on their age.
:goodpost::woof:

I do exactly this I have a 3 month old as well. She is doing pretty good, not 100% but close. Consistency is important. I always take her out first thing in the morning last thing at night after every meal, nap and when I think she is needing a break. Pups won't gain full control till around 6 months. It may take time or it will come quickly. My Lucy still has accidents but such is life more than likely she will notify me or I will take the initiative and take her out. The bell is a good idea as well after they get the message that going outside is what is expected of them.

Main thing is don't set them up for failure and thing will go a lot easier for both of you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts