Go Pitbull Forums banner

Puppy Play Gone bad ? When do you say " EASY" ?

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  echs332000 
#1 ·
:confused: Crush and Diamond are having a Ball together,as a Matter of fact I'm P*ssed because they don't wanna play w/me anymore unless i laydown and let them BITE my Ears off, lol.. However just like i remember 13 yrs ago when i got the Last 2 , after about 20-30 min they get WILD, and IDk if there still playin. However when i say " OK THATS ENOUGH' and they stop, they are wagging their tail and the min i walk away they are back at it so i figure there Just Pup playin.. When should i slow them down if i should at all or should i stear away from that Ruff housing Tottaly ? I Never had a Problem w/ the last 2, then again i was Lucky and really they were 2 Excellent Dogs and i really had Nothing to do with there great EGER TO PLEASE atitude that made them Listen so well.

#2 ·
I would only stop them if they are actually hurting eachother. Like making eachother bleed. Otherwise they are learning from eachother how far they can go with one another.

I would have separate playtime with each of them at least once a day if not more.

#4 ·
I agree, good post Aimee :)

When Whit was a pup and would play with my gf's dog or other pups at a puppy playdate, I would give him a quick timeout after the first 3 or 5 mins. Just to let him know that I could end it whenever I wanted. I would probably then do it every 10mins or so, but only have the timeout be about a minute long.

But that's very good that they listen to you and stop when you say. Like Aimee said, I would only really end play time if it got a little too rough and if one of them ends up crying or something.

#5 ·
good advice Amy x2.
pups have their own language in that when
the other hurts them, they will yelp, and instinctively
the other will stop (if only for a moment)

all dogs are different with different degrees of prey drive, aggression, and personalities.
a loud HEY! or EHTT! will get their attension,..if need be make a large bluff kinda like what
a silverback male gorilla does,...come at them loud,hard, & heavy, and intimidate them without the actual striking/violence. it does wonders, and you need to make them 100% sure you're pack leader (Alfa) as they'll expect/test you to settle disputes. good luck, and keep enforcing
your leadership, as it will pay off once they're adults,... when you really need the control.

#6 · (Edited)
I'm not as experienced as many here but I think as long as they take a break when you tell them to it's all good. Maggie and Jake play rough nearly all day every day and with him being a really vocal coonhound sometimes it can sound horrifying to the "untrained ear" but (knock on wood) so far it's all been in good fun and they always stop as soon as they're told. I try to interrupt them pretty regularly just to keep things light and on track.

I'd imagine it's important for puppies to play and learn how to play, not to mention burn off some of that energy.

Edited to add: As far as how we interrupt them - a simple "pptssst" noise seems to get their attention.

#7 ·
Wow... thats some awsome feedback from Everyone !! Well i feel better, My female has Crazy Game, and Crush kinda looks like hes always just gettin done Smokin, lol..So i was a little worried about him, But i noticed if he doesnt like it, he snaps her a couple times and all's Good.hahahaha... My wife thinks it's Funny Diamonds "so called" FULL of herself , I told her Diamond's as big of a **** as her momma, LMBO...
I'm really enjoying Wayching them Learn..Its Really Cool to see ther Expressions !!!!!!

#11 ·
They are just doing what pups do & this is good behavior.

If you want them to play more with you, encourage them to & be patient. Get a toy that entices them to.

If you haven't read it, a book I'd thoroughly recommend is 'After Getting a Puppy' by Dr. Ian Dunbar. For a dog book, the way he writes makes it a joyful read with added subtle humor.

#12 ·
Rough play is fine. Vendetta and DaVinci still will play like that until they get tired. I have not had any issues with Vendetta and the boys.

I would take time out of the day to do alittle one on one with them. This would be a good time to start teaching them some basics and the one on one is good for bonding with them while they are still young.

#14 ·
Watch the body language and listen to their vocals. Bear and Nino get very rough like this, at 16 weeks now, you can tell when it`s no longer play. Bear gets very serious, her body stiffens up, her tail locks straight up and her vocals go from very high pitched to low and serious. Nino`s a curr all around so he backs right off, but we are getting to the point now where we are starting to crate and rotate.
When they get like this I separate them, tell them to "Go to bed" and they go to their crates.

#15 ·
Chino(apbt) is around 2.5-3 and Dank(golden Retreiver) is 5 years old

They are only allowed to rough-house outside in the yard. They have had a few spats here and there, but never anything serious. Neither one of them are very territoral(sp?) at all.

Just keep a good eye on them and stop the play when one of the dogs backs off or gets serious. Keep them from getting into that first "real" fight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.