Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I have a 6 month old male Razors Edge Cross named Buck. Currently he weighs in at 60lbs. He eats a total of four cups of Evanger's Pheasant and Brown Rice dry food a day and is doing great. He's been working out on his springpole as well and running around 10 acres of land so he's getting plenty of excercise. Now my question to you that are familiar with this line is how large would be a reasonable estimate to say he will be at maturity? He's got huge paws and a broad head for a 6 month old pup so I'm assuming he will be fairly large as he's already 60lbs. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
what is he crossed with? he looks big like mastiff. no way to tell exactly knowing he is a cross , did you see the parents ? how large where they ?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
You have an american bully and RE dogs have gone in many directions so it is hard to say how big he will get. The best gage you have is to look at his parents. If you do not know them then you can take his weight when he was 4 months and double it. It would be only a guess but it will get you close to how big he should get.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Whats the dog crossed with? There's no real way to tell but like PK said, you can guess close to it based upon the size at 4 months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is 100% APBT. What I mean by cross is his pedigree is mainly Razors Edge crossed with Winegarner's line.

At 3 mos he weighed in at 25.14 lbs and at 4 mos he weighed in at 35.6 lbs.

If it helps at all his Great Great Grandparents on the Sire's side are Razors Edge "Sea Breeze" & Razors Edge "Purple Rose of Cairo" both are Grand Champion animals, his Great Grandmother is Razors Edge "Rayna" and his Great Grandfather is Winegarner's "Blue Devil".

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
No way of telling, especially if you dont know what hes mixed with. I will say since no one else has, 6 months is extremely young for spring pole. A little bit off and on may be okay however if your doing it frequently it could pose health problems later on down the line.

Ive never worked a dog with that kind of stuff until at very least 10 months i slowly introduce it. You never want to over work your pup with hard exercise/conditioning as its proven more likely than not to cause health problems such as sever joint pain later in life.

I dont know how frequently you do this, however if it is often i would urge you to let off of it for a good while and slowly introduce the exercise later as development increases.

I generally follow the path of allowing a pup to be a puppy, a dog has its whole life a head of them no need to rush into that type of stuff prematurely

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Well you came to the right place!! You do not have an APBT sorry to tell you that. You have an American Bully. The dogs you listed are American Bullies not APBT's and just based on size alone I could have told you he was not an APBT. Full grown APBT's max out at about 75lbs but most are about 40-60lbs. Just looking at your male he is very much an American Bully not an APBT regardless of what your paperwork says. There is a lot of info on this site to help you understand what an American Bully is vs an APBT and we will help you understand and answer any questions you have. Check out the Bully 101 section

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
He is 100% APBT. What I mean by cross is his pedigree is mainly Razors Edge crossed with Winegarner's line.

If it helps at all his Great Great Grandparents on the Sire's side are Razors Edge "Sea Breeze" & Razors Edge "Purple Rose of Cairo" both are Grand Champion animals, his Great Grandmother is Razors Edge "Rayna" and his Great Grandfather is Winegarner's "Blue Devil".
Hes American Bully not APBT. Razors Edge is a Bully line, Winegarner i dont know a whole lot about but from what i have heard it can go either way.

Please educate yourself on what AmBully is vs APBT as this is something that aggravates many people calling your dog a breed it isnt.

6 months @ 60lbs is in NO way shape or form APBT.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

OHHH lol my bad I thought you meant x breed. he looks big , but yes as people have said best bet is to take his weight at 4 months and double for a guesstimate.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Well you came to the right place!! You do not have an APBT sorry to tell you that. You have an American Bully. The dogs you listed are American Bullies not APBT's and just based on size alone I could have told you he was not an APBT. Full grown APBT's max out at about 75lbs but most are about 40-60lbs. Just looking at your male he is very much an American Bully not an APBT regardless of what your paperwork says. There is a lot of info on this site to help you understand what an American Bully is vs an APBT and we will help you understand and answer any questions you have. Check out the Bully 101 section
I wouldn't consider 75lbs APBT, sure there may be some out there but the vast majority that weigh that much i consider American Bullies.

30 - 50lbs to me is ideal however i have seen very few well bred APBT's weigh in at 60-65 but not many. Most are either Bullies or have Bully lines some where mixed in.

EDIT: I also might add 4 cups is a lot of food for 60lbs, have you thought about switching to a different kibble to take down consumption? 4 cups is what i feed my bandogge and right now hes at 85lbs, my APBT cross weighs 45lbs and gets 2 to 2 1/2 cups and these amounts are based on conditioning/heavy exercise numerous times a day. A 60lbs dog while all dogs vary i couldn't see eating any more than 2 1/2 to potentially 3 cups if he is being worked, which as ive stated before given his age around 2 1/2 cups should be more than enough for a pup still growing.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
My boy is razords edge x gotti and other stuff he weighs 80 pounds and gets two cups of taste of the wild twice a day. Your pup will probably get to 80 pounds when he is fully mature granted that you keep him lean.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I say 75lbs because I have had them that big before and I know a few that are that big but at chain weight. That is the upper end of the scale for sure, I know a ton that are 60lbs at chain weight so I would not call that abnormal. We also have a few members with 70-75lbs dogs that are well bred just bigger dogs. They can be well balanced and fit the ABPT standard just be on the bigger side. Not saying that is the norm but at the upper end of the scale.

·
Registered
780 Posts
According to my vet records my boy loki was 46.4 pounds at around 4 months and a week.He is fully matured at a lean 93 pounds.He is easily 20 pounds bigger than his mom and 10 more than dad.You really never exactly how big they can get.Alot of folks say a rough guess is to double the weight of 4 months.at least with my dog it was true.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I say 75lbs because I have had them that big before and I know a few that are that big but at chain weight. That is the upper end of the scale for sure, I know a ton that are 60lbs at chain weight so I would not call that abnormal. We also have a few members with 70-75lbs dogs that are well bred just bigger dogs. They can be well balanced and fit the ABPT standard just be on the bigger side. Not saying that is the norm but at the upper end of the scale.
Of course it can happen but i rarely does a proper APBT weigh that much which is why i dont really consider it, of course thats just my view on it. People should first learn the "norm" and the true breed/history/etc before they start getting into things like the "abnormal". 75lbs crosses too much into the American Bully territory that generally, as a rule, doesn't happen for this breed. Can it? Sure just as ive seen APBT's that were 25lbs conditioned and just over 30lbs chain weight but from my experiences its not enough dogs out there like that to consider grouping it with a standard.

Again, just expressing how i feel not trying to argue with you. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
No way of telling, especially if you dont know what hes mixed with. I will say since no one else has, 6 months is extremely young for spring pole. A little bit off and on may be okay however if your doing it frequently it could pose health problems later on down the line.

Ive never worked a dog with that kind of stuff until at very least 10 months i slowly introduce it. You never want to over work your pup with hard exercise/conditioning as its proven more likely than not to cause health problems such as sever joint pain later in life.

I dont know how frequently you do this, however if it is often i would urge you to let off of it for a good while and slowly introduce the exercise later as development increases.

I generally follow the path of allowing a pup to be a puppy, a dog has its whole life a head of them no need to rush into that type of stuff prematurely
Well with his springpole he only uses it when he wants to and that isn't very often. Also it is not very high meaning he can keep all four on the ground while he tugs it. I've already researched a Loy on the springpole and know all about them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well where do I start lol.

The reason I mentioned he is APBT is due to the results of his DNA profile by the ADBA.

Regarding his food: Evanger's is one of the best dry foods on the market and that is also agreed upon by AFCO. It has low amounts of Calcium and a decent amount of protein which is recommended for large breed dogs. 4 cups a day is adequate. He exercises a lot. I mean he runs and I mean runs around our property a good 6 hours a day or as he sees fit. When he is tired he breaks, gets a drink and relaxes in the shade. So I think 4 cups is fine. He is by no means overweight or fat at all and still has excess skin which he hasn't grown into yet. He is lean as you can tell by his waist. Here is another pic of him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also in regards to height...he is currently at 22.5" at the shoulder when standing pretty on all fours. Any estimate to what his mature height may be?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
The DNA isnt really acurate for telling what breed he is { thus the reason people cant just get there unregistered dogs DNA'd and get them registered that way} the breed is determined by the blood line and the bloodline you mentioned is american bully. It is confusing because alot of bullys are registered through the ADBA and UKC as APBT's but they really arent and usually dont even conform to the standards those registries have set up for the breed. A great place to check about the american bully is the ABKC website { just google it} and the bully 101 section here.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Also in regards to height...he is currently at 22.5" at the shoulder when standing pretty on all fours. Any estimate to what his mature height may be?
usually the 1st year is growing upwards and the next year -2 years is filling out. he looks a little high in the rear right now so will most likely be growing upwards still , hard to tell what the end result will be though , great estimate would be again looking at the parents.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
That's a very tall dog, you are going to have a 25 inch dog by the time he is done most likely. The running 6 hours a day is not constant so i wouldnt consider that a true workout estimate. If you jog a dog for 45 minutes straight that is a lot more work than letting your dog out in the yard for 2 hours to let it roam.

As long as you can feel the rib on the side and you can see a tuck you should be good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts