Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been reading a lot on these boards, trying to find the answers I’m looking for without starting new threads.

As a side note, there doesn’t seem to be as much traffic here as there was in the past. Is that right? Not a judgement, just an observation.

Anyway, I keep reading how important it is to socialize my 8 week old puppy. I’m good with that, but I can’t figure out how I’m supposed to do that if I’m not supposed to take him out, even for a walk, until he has all his shots.

He’s only had his second set of shots to date.

I take him with me on car rides as long as I’m not going somewhere I won’t have to leave him in the car (when I’m going through a drive through).

We don’t have many guests, so he’s only met a few people. I don’t know anyone who has a dog who I can trust their dog is up to date on vaccinations, except my next door neighbor. But his dogs are German Shepards, bred and trained to be guard and protection dogs, and used for K-9 police type work. His dogs are very well trained, but they still make me kind of nervous, so I’m not sure I wouldn’t give off nervous energy myself if he agreed to let my dog meet one of his. That’s MY issue, not because of him or anything his dogs have done.

How do I socialize an 8 week old puppy that’s not had all his shots? He’s still small enough that I can carry him. Is that what I’m supposed to do? And even then, where can I take him that’s puppy friendly?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, carry him. Most places like Home Depot will allow dogs. Also look for mom and pop type pet supply stores in your area.

I'm not big on vax, prefer more natural raising, so I only do two shots. Then we are out everywhere. Be sure though that you are not in an area with any known doggie health issues.

·
Administrator
4,794 Posts
Once Bordatella and Parvo has been administered, you can go to human public places with your puppy. Those are the big two. Home Depot, Lowes, pet stores during low traffic times. Just don't expose your puppy to a dog you don't know with direct contact. Socialization for bull breeds is mostly people and experiences as they tend to lean towards dog aggression as adults. So public leash only spaces to work on training and getting pets is the best way to start.

·
Administrator
5,636 Posts
As a side note, there doesn’t seem to be as much traffic here as there was in the past. Is that right? Not a judgement, just an observation.
Your observation is correct Reesha. Although the traffic is nowhere close to what it once was, all the priceless information and input is still here to reference.

Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He’s had Parvo, Distemper and Bordatello vaccinations. Thank you so much for the suggestions. It’s good he’s still small enough that I can easily carry him. He only weighed 6lbs yesterday at the vet. He only weighed 3lbs at his first visit, but he was also full of worms.

Will he eventually “make up” for the growth missed while he’s had worms?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joe, believe me, I’ve been reading all over the forums, because I do recognize there is a wealth of knowledge and information here. The truth is the truth, and wisdom and good advice always stands, regardless of when it was written, right? Right!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ehhhhh, I don’t know about raw. We got the idea to cook our dogs’ food, and the lady we talked to thought we meant a raw diet and all her advice about it made me think it was a no go, even though we really meant cooking for them, not feeding them a raw diet.

We decided to feed them a “natural” commercially available brand of dog food, and settled on Acana. We’ve been feeding the puppy a puppy version of that brand.

I did have a very serious issue with their “toppers” though, that would have been dangerous for any dog. When we got close to the bottom of the bag, I was preparing our dog’ food and there was a plastic piece in the topper back, with the topper in it, and the plastic piece had a very sharp point on one end. I was upset enough about it that I went straight to the store I’d bought it from and took the plastic piece and the bag it came from with me and asked for a manager. She promised to let their buyers know about it, and I contacted Acana myself when I got back home.

But my mistake was giving the ”manager” at the store the plastic piece and the bag it came from, so since I didn’t have those things, Acana brushed me off. And the store did the same.

I have and had no reason to lie about that. It wrecked my nerves thinking about what could’ve happened to my dogs if I’d not noticed it, and what could happen to other dogs if their owners didn’t pay attention to what their food, treats, and toppers looked like. But when I gave the plastic piece and the bag it came from to the “manager” at the store, I lost my proof, being naive enough to think they and Acana would do the right thing. And they did not.

So it is a lesson learned. It makes me angry just thinking about it, knowing it could have seriously harmed one of our dogs if I hadn’t noticed it.

I will tell any interested dog owner that story, because again, I have no reason to lie about it. That brand of dog food is not inexpensive and we do still feed our dogs that brand, but I don’t buy their toppers anymore.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's a good brand. Dogs weren't designed to eat dry food, so add water or bone broth and let soak.
If you want to learn more about raw, just ask. It is "the best", but many people are leary. It can get real confusing when people are talking about diy. There are many great commercial raw diets that are as easy as feeding kibble.
Of our four, three eat raw, one refuses...but, she's Willow and has many, many issues;😁
I am NOT a know it all, but pet nutrition is my passion, want to do the best for them.
Even the fish and snails get the best!!
Also, remember to rotate protein sources, don't feed the same thing all the time, minimum 4.
Good to switch up brands here and there too, Orijin, Stella and Chewys, Zignature, etc .
Should not have tummy issues when switching between premium brands.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bzoo, I thought you meant raw as in raw meat from the grocery store. What is a commercial raw diet?

I didn’t know about rotating protein sources either. Or brands. Why is that important?

I am not doubting you, I am just trying to learn. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and advice!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, meat from the grocery store is d.i.y. and can get confusing, takes too much math!😁
Commercial raw is like kibble, just pour, thaw, feed.
Do you have a little mom and pop type pet supply store in your area? That's a good place to start. I use OC Raw Dog, Steve's and Stella and Chewys. There are other good ones too. Some are just meat and produce, others have added vitamins and minerals.
Different meats have different nutrition, so rotating covers all bases. Chicken and beef can be allergens, if that becomes an issue, so lamb, turkey, fish, goat and rabbit are good to switch up with.
Also one brands chicken recipe will be different than another, so again, just covering all bases.
Balance over time is a good mantra!
Conner doesn't like the raw patties, even cut up, but he loves the chunky/nugget style, go figure. Pugs eat everything!!
And yes, some dogs won't eat it, perhaps a texture issue?? But most seem to love it and you don't have to worry about them not taking in enough water. Cats should definitely be on raw as they are bad about drinking enough.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will think about what you said and talk to my fiancé about it. We are both willing to do whatever is best for our dogs.

We are too old to have babies, and I don’t want more children anyway, so our dogs are “our babies” lol. And we both want to give them the best life we can, while also being responsible “parents”.

Thank you so much for sharing info and answering my questions!

·
Registered
1 Posts
In any case, I continue to peruse that mingling my multi week old puppy is so significant. I'm great with that, yet I can't sort out how I should do that on the off chance that I shouldn't accept him out, in any event, for a stroll, until he has every one of his shots.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In any case, I continue to peruse that mingling my multi week old puppy is so significant. I'm great with that, yet I can't sort out how I should do that on the off chance that I shouldn't accept him out, in any event, for a stroll, until he has every one of his shots.
I have the same concerns with my puppy because he hasn’t had all his shots either. So far, I’ve mostly just been letting him explore our property. My lot is fairly big, but not huge, 3/4 acre. But there is enough stuff to sniff around to catch his interest, and enough room for him to run and play even though he doesn’t stray far from me.

I live in a cove, with one other house, but that house is not super close to mine. That neighbor has dogs, but he breeds and trains German Shepherds for work….. protection, guarding and police K9 work. So I am sure his dogs have all the proper vaccinations. He doesn’t let his dogs run loose outside of his fence anyway, so all of that together means I’m not worried about Boy catching something from them.

For now, I just take him on car rides with me when I’m going somewhere that I won’t have to leave him in the car alone. I carry him into stores where it is allowed. I carry him though, I don’t let him walk. I am considering getting a stroller or backpack so I can take him to parks and such without him being on the ground, since I enjoy going to parks myself, with or without my canine companions. He’s still tiny, so that is doable, I think.

I guess my point is that I feel like I have to be creative to get him out and about without exposing him to potential diseases since he hasn’t had all his vaccinations yet. Maybe you should get creative and try to “think outside the box” too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A stroller or backpack probably wouldn't fit him very long.
But if you have an SUV or truck, you might consider one of those foldable garden carts. That way, you can use it when he's an old man too!
I've seen people use these for larger dogs, it's pretty cute.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would just need it to fit him until he’s had all his shots, which his vet says would be another 6 weeks.

Idk what foldable garden carts you mention. I’ll have to research that.

But besides our daily drivers, we have a Tahoe (which my fiancé thinks is his lol) and a Jeep Wrangler (which I’ve declared is mine lol) so we have room to transport whatever we need to.

Girl has only recently started willingly getting into our cars, we don’t think she’d been in vehicles much before we got her, because she would lay down and start trembling whenever we tried to get her in any vehicle. She is still pretty much terrified of getting in my Jeep, and I had hopes she’d be my “Jeep dog”. She still will NOT get in the Jeep on her own, despite trying to lure her with treats or whatever. I have to pick her up and put her in there, which is not ideal for a few reasons, including the fact that she’s heavy. I am open to suggestions to help with that. Once she’s in, she still trembles for a while, but I ignore that.

Maybe Boy will be my ”Jeep dog” and happy to ride with me in it.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts