Go Pitbull Forums banner

Puppy staying in his crate while i'm at work?

755 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DynamicDuo 
#1 ·
I'll be getting my puppy next month and he'll be about 3 months old. The only problem I have is that I work 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. If I come home during my break around noon to let him out and play for about 30 minutes, will he be fine staying in his crate for 4 hours at a time with such a short break in between? I'm really nervous about leaving him in there and I'm trying to find someone that can watch him until he is a little bit older, but I havent had any luck so far. Has anyone else been in this position? If so, what did you do? Any recommendations? Thanks!

#2 ·
There are services that you can hire to come by and let him out and play with him while you are at work. If you ran home at lunch, and had a service come by as well, he should be fine crated. Once he is older and able to hold it for the full day, then you won't need to worry so much about mid day potty breaks.

#4 ·
4 hours can be a long time for a young puppy. I would say try to get someone to help you out for a month or so, especially while you work on house training. They grow so fast and after another month or so 4 hours shouldn't be a problem. I still use a dog sitter for my pups and they are 7 months but hubby and I work long hours. The latest one of us leaves is 6am and days when we're both going to be gone all day (I work rotating 12 hour shift work) we pay a puppy sitter to go to the house and hang out with the dogs from 11-1 so they get decent exercise. And then they are back crated from like 1-5 or 6. I pay extra for a longer period of time so they get decent exercise but there are services out there that are relatively cheap for $15/hr or so to take the pup out and walk him and play with him for a little while. I think in the long run it would be money well spent. Not only do you not have to worry about potty breaks but your pup, especially as it gets a little older, will get to expend some of that spent up energy during the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.