Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup is about 6 weeks. I just took him off milk and am feeding him wet food and about to start him on kibble too. He's not liking water so I mix it into his food. He vomited yesterday once and a little this morning. Any ideas or suggestions? His poop is pretty runny but not really diarrhoea.

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
Puppys are very suceptable to parvo. A vet visit is in order if he is vomitting continously.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
He up to date on all shots? as mentioned above parvo is a big concern and they can get it even if vaccinated. Dehydration can be a HUGE concern especially in young pups so if this is going on today as well you need to get him into a vet TODAY if possible. Make sure he is drinking, if not you may have to syringe fluids. If he continues to be vomiting I would stop the food and just offer liquids, water, pedyalite, chicken broth any of those will work until you get to the vet for some tests.. Parvo test is a 5 min snap test so you can have an answer quick on that , could be coccidia or numerous other things, Really hard to play the guessing game when we aren't there seeing things. Adults I would say you may be able to give it a day or 2 and watch for improvement with a pup this young things can go down hill fast so I would have him seen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's doing much better. Playing and running around like a little maniac. I couldn't get him in today. Will take him tmrw. Can I feed him water out of a baby bottle?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
if he will take it, he wont just drink out of the bowl?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
now hes drinking tons of water out of the bowl which is surprising because he was having a hard time adjusting from milk to water. his vomitting has stopped but he has had the runs all day. probably about a total of 6 or 7 times since 6am. he will play for a bit and go back to sleep. he's not crying like he's hungry so i'm not sure if i should feed him or let him be for a while (last feed was at 8am!!) the soonest i could get him into the vet is 9am tomorrow. she said as long as he's taking in water he should be ok til then but i'm still worried.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
What kind of milk had you been giving him? You may want to add a spoon of pumpkin to his kibble as well may help get rid of the runs . make sure its canned pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling, you dont want the one with the spices.
has he had a vet check recently? been wormed on time and everything? if he isnt vomiting anymore and is eating and drinking I may try the pumpkin 1st before going to the vet. If its bad diarreah and you are worried about dehydration or if he starts vomiting again then get to the vet. or if the poop starts showing blood or black in it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he's not vomiting anymore. his stool is a little runny but the color is normal. took him to the vet today and the vet said he's a perfectly healthy little boy. she gave him a dewormer and booked me an appointment to come back late next week for his first round of shots. i have him on rice and kibble and may mix a bit of canned food in later. (am feeding innova evo)... vet said that its most likely the transition from milk to regular food that's giving him the runs. he's not lethargic or anything so i just have to see how he goes. she told me to bring a stool sample too next week so she can test for parvo but she said he has no signs that he's got that.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Thats good, I would skip the canned food, just keep him on the kibble soak if you have to but he should be fine to be eating it now. Mix to many foods up you can mess with his tummy more. Has he been dewormed before? very well you may see an improvement now that he has been wormed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
he probably vomited and had the runs because you overfeed him. sometimes the recommended feeding measurements from the dog food companies tell you to give the wrong amounts so that you run out of food faster and keep on buying more food quicker.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
he's never been dewormed before.... this was the first type of medication or anything he's ever had.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts