Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we picked up the new pup yesterday after months of the adoption process. He's exactly 11 weeks old male. So far so good. Got him goin outside a handful of times. This morning he whined and woke me up. Took him out immediately and he peed. He sniffed around for awhile and then headed for the door and sat down and barked. Opened the door and in he went. He came back in and started chewing his bully stick. 5 min later he crapped on the floor haha. No big deal. Baby steps.....

Sooo we also have a 6 year old female pit. Seems to be a bit jealous. Perhaps confused right now. The pup could care less. He wants to play with her but eventually just sits there and stares at her. But she is like 55 pound wrecking ball. They sniff each other etc. and then the older girl gets all hyper and starts jumping around. Almost the way two older dogs riff hiuse and play. Both of their tails are going. The concern is she's much larger and it's hard to read if this is all play on her part or if she's gonna turn around and bite him. So we kept them both on a lead and let them explore each other so we could control them in small Doses. Took the pup for a long walk. So far he's pretty good on the leash. Brought him back and caged him while we ate and he fell right asleep. The female just walked around sniffing him through the cage. Tail wagging. And started to whine while using her paw to try and tap the lock to get him out lol. He woke up a lil while
Later and while they were both calm we let him out on the lead again and the pup just sat there. She however again went nuts like a giant puppy.

I apologize for the long winded post. Just looking for some feedback as this is the first time with a new pup and the 6 year old.

Attachments

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Well, based on the info you've given, it's really hard to say how she'll truly react because we don't know her body language and her exact signs. However, it does sound like she's just excited and wants to play but doesn't realize how much stronger she is than him at this point. You're doing great by supervising and stepping in when you think she's getting too rough. This will prevent any issues that may possibly arise later. He will toughen up, and you may see a bit of "mommy instinct" come out in her, regardless of whether she's intact or spayed.

As for his potty training, sounds like y'all are off to a great start. It does take time, but I think the best part of what you've shared is that he's adapted to his crate just fine and not putting up a fuss about it.

I'm not really sure what advice you're looking for here, but what I stated above is just my opinion on what you've shared with us. Best of luck on the continued training with the pup, and please keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
The new pup is adorable NJ PIT! Love that mask.
Sounds like you have a good handle on things. Just always keep a close eye on them and if things escalate to a point of too much excitement, shut it down.

The older dog is probably confused right now and may go through some different emotions before settling in. Most mature dogs have a tolerance for puppies and will tolerate their bitting and behavior. However, one day all of a sudden that puppy smell is gone and the older dog decides to pup the younger dog in it's place. Just keep on doing what you're doing but never leave them alone with each other. Play can turn to aggression in a heart beat.

Keep those pictures coming. Love watching them grow.

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The people who foster him through the rescue had him adapted to the crate. Today we let them see each other again. And it was a little better. She got a little too rough for him again. He yelped and went straight for the cage himself. He laid down. Kept an eye on her and went to sleep so I shut the door and he's been sleeping ever since. I guess it's gonna take small doses to get her to a comfortable point. He's all about wanting to see her and play but at the same time when she starts get all excited hell just walk away. I think he already knows his place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts