Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm completely devastated.my 10 month old puppy went in for xrays today and we were blown away by the results.she has mild hip dysplasia both hips, severe elbow dysplasia both elbows and slight tearing in both acls.she needs surgery now for her elbows.I'm just at a loss.has anyone went thru elbow dysplasia surgery.I need thoughts, opinions anything I'm just devastated.

Attachments

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Oh so sad :( I don't have any experience but I hope soon that all her joints and hips feel better!

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
Personally I would avoid any surgeries on joints, especially the partial tears..
Go with total controlled activity. No zoomies and stuff, especially with other dogs cuz they always trip and stumble on each other. I start with building muscle and scar tissue in the effected areas and later use a glucosamine supplement. This is where one of those hydro treadmills come in handy. With elbows, don't let the dog jump off the couch. It hammers elbows. Get him a step.
And get used to having a couch potato:)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I agree with redog, try to hold off and see if you can mange it yourself first, but I am not there and don't know how bad it is. Also since they do one leg at a time, the recovery usually turns the other leg into a full tear and harder to recover from. You can look into laser treatments for arthritis and hip dysplasia, maybe start your dog on Dasuquin joint supplements or something similar. What is Dasuquin®?

Your pup is adorable!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The surgeon won't do anything about her acls because they aren't completely torn and her hips are only mild it's her elbows that need surgery.i have
Looked into dasuquin with msm but wasn't sure if it was what she needed.we call her super pibble.she requires a workout daily.loves to go but once she lays down she is slow and stiff and now whines and takes a couple minutes to get down off the couch.i love her so much.its been an emotional day.i have never heard of a young dog having all these issues

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ok so since I have a little experience with HD in a young dog and lots of health issues...I know how difficult it is to hear all this news and not to mention it is pricey...My girl was diagnosed with sever Hip Dysplasia when she was a little under 2 yrs old. My best guess is just horrible breeding is where she got it from...curse bybs.

Anyway you need to take a deep breath, restrict activity a lot since the ACLs are torn...I personally would atleast attempt to use Gloucosamine and Chondroitin to build up her hips and elbows before rushing to surgery...after the surgery I suggest swimming...it is a great exercise and easy on the joints. build a Springpole when she gets older...my girl loves it. Also I do not use Rimadyl for my girl anymore since it can cause a whole lot of issues further down the road...I use Yucca Intensive which is 100% holistic...it took down her swelling and pain levels almost instantly.
Yucca Intensive (Azmira): Supplement For Dogs and Cats - 1800PetMeds

Most importantly do NOT allow her to be overweight....that will hurt her quality of life a lot.

Myself and my girl Alexa wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is beautiful.Thank you.I am going to look into ordering it.I was unhappy with the surgeons outlook on supplements.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I don't have experience with elbows but I had one of my boys tear his ACL last year and we went through the process of having to chose surgery or not. in the end we went with crate rest and controlled walks.( as much as we can control a bounding kangaroo). We were told even with the surgery chances of it being reinjured were high so I saw no point to put him through that if it was more then possible to re happen. I will say it is a very long process with the crate rest it isn't an over night fix he was on crate rest for over 6 months pretty much, lost his entire summer or play but he is back 100% now. there is still a chance to reinjure but in the end I feell good about the choice i made to skip the surgery. with your pup so young I would have to wonder if you do surgery and she reinjures which is highly probable how many surgeries can they do on her in her lifetime and how much will it all cost. I hope your pup heals up fast but I would agree with redog as well here.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I also give glucosamine, and a suppliment called Recovery , it does cost a bit although im in canada and seem to pay more for everything. but I HIGHLY recommend this suppliment I have seen amazing results from it. I have my friends dog on it too he suffers from bad arthritis and since he started on it we have seen a major improvement in his movement as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts