Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on an island where we have limited choices as far as dog food goes, and this is the most decently priced dog food I can find with any kind of meat as the first ingredient. ($38 something for a 40lb. bag) Is Purina One Lamb & Rice good food?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've seen some good results from it. Most dogs I've seen on that brand turn out fat though. People here will tell u otherwise because its not the best brand but I say screw it. I met a dog that is 16 living off of purina. Daily excersize goes a long way. I've switch from innova evo to orijen to to taste of the wild and I'm finally set with canidae. It all really depends on your dogs acitivity. As long as you're giving your dog meats and bones it should be fine. Because I'm on a cheaper brand I mix cooked ground beef into his food. At my local butchers its only about a dollar a pound and I only cook hima very small portion. But I wouldn't reccommend it if u don't want a picky eater haha. I really don't mind it because its very inexpensive.

·
Inkd & Dogs gotta love it
2,074 Posts
I live on an island where we have limited choices as far as dog food goes, and this is the most decently priced dog food I can find with any kind of meat as the first ingredient. ($38 something for a 40lb. bag) Is Purina One Lamb & Rice good food?
PURINA ONE LAMB & RICE INGREDIENTS (all in bold is bad or ?able for dogs)
Lamb (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), lamb meal, animal digest, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, salt, caramel color, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

What are you other choices on the Island?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was feeding Iams, and we have one livestock feed store that sells brands like WolfKing and some other supposedly "better" brands, but they're like $60 for a 20lb. Bag, and that includes a 1/2 hour drive with gas prices between 4 and 5 bucks a gallon. I think the one and only vet clinic here sells natures choice but I don't know anything about that. Sounds like it might be ok tho... Lol

·
2,074 Posts
Natures Choice Ingredients

Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Whole Brown Rice, Pea Protein, Lamb, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate, L-Lysine, Salt, Choline Chloride, Egg Product, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Copper Proteinate, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

I dont like the fact that it has Soybean Oil b/c its not good for dogs.
The other thing I do not like about the food is the Poultry Fat. Not that it is Poultry Fat .. but the FACT that if you have a dog allergic to Chicken or poultry then you are still adding chicken into there diet.

Much better food then the first one.

Two Pet Stores in Alaska that carry this product

Company: Pet Central of Kodiak
Address: 1627 Mill Bay Road
Kodiak, AK, 99615
Phone: (907) 486-6006

Company: C & E Feeds
Address: 11410 South Russian Creek Road
Kodiak, AK, 99615
Phone: (907) 487-2657

Hope one of them are closer to you.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
I say go for what is instock and easy for you. I think bad brands are Ol roy and some really really cheap foods like gravy train and alpo if those still even exist.

Purina is fine, any food is fine it is really up to you what you feed your dog. I feed mine Science diet and they are doing great on it. and remember too much protien has been known to cause health issues in dogs fed on so called HIGH quality foods.

·
2,074 Posts
I say go for what is instock and easy for you. I think bad brands are Ol roy and some really really cheap foods like gravy train and alpo if those still even exist.

Purina is fine, any food is fine it is really up to you what you feed your dog. I feed mine Science diet and they are doing great on it. and remember too much protien has been known to cause health issues in dogs fed on so called HIGH quality foods.
Please prove your statement
remember too much protien has been known to cause health issues in dogs fed on so called HIGH quality foods
I have never heard this so I would love to know .. Thank you

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
You shouldn't give a whole gob of protein to puppies, but a healthy adult (especially one that works hard) should not have any problems putting it to use. Yes, there are circumstances where maybe somebody has to feed a low-grade food. (Like they can barely afford to feed themselves.) But personally, if I were only given the choice of feeding Science Diet/Purina/Pedigree/etc, I would go with a raw diet and let my dogs eat like I eat.

For my dogs, I want them to be as top-notch as possible. Nature's Variety for us. If I ever have to downgrade, I'd consider brands like Premium Edge or Solid Gold, but here's hoping I don't have to cross that bridge. Feeding a high-quality food means I can feed my girls 2 cups a day where others are dumping 3-4 or more of cheaper stuff in their dogs. It evens out.

·
2,074 Posts
You shouldn't give a whole gob of protein to puppies, but a healthy adult (especially one that works hard) should not have any problems putting it to use. Yes, there are circumstances where maybe somebody has to feed a low-grade food. (Like they can barely afford to feed themselves.) But personally, if I were only given the choice of feeding Science Diet/Purina/Pedigree/etc, I would go with a raw diet and let my dogs eat like I eat.

For my dogs, I want them to be as top-notch as possible. Nature's Variety for us. If I ever have to downgrade, I'd consider brands like Premium Edge or Solid Gold, but here's hoping I don't have to cross that bridge. Feeding a high-quality food means I can feed my girls 2 cups a day where others are dumping 3-4 or more of cheaper stuff in their dogs. It evens out.
Again please prove your statement
You shouldn't give a whole gob of protein to puppies
I feed my pups the moment they are weening off the mom grinded meat and I have never had a problem .. That would indicate a FULL PROTEIN DIET to puppies.. Please Please inlighten me

Thank you

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
all I know and this came from my vets mouth..that if a dog has a bad kidney a high protein diet is no good since it is absorbed into the kidney. *shrugs*
all I know is that my dogs do perfectly on Science diet so I would prefure to stick with my brand of choice and just add eggs and oil ect to boost that food

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
feeding a puppy a lot of protein will make the puppy grow too fast, thus having joint issues when its older

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i dont know how far you are from Anchorage, but there is a Costco there w/ 40lb bags of quality food for $22-$24

maybe you could ask someone outside to buy it for you or get a yearly membership and buy your dog food there

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
I know my vet told me that high quality dog food and dogs with kidney issues don't mix.

*shrugs*

Riley has a sensitive stomach. she can't eat raw meats without getting extremely ill from it and Science diet seems to work well with her.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
oh wow.. i looked and you're not too close.. lol.. just realized you said you were on an island

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I don't have proof of my statement. All I know is that wiser heads than myself have said it. I like to put my dogs on a good all-stages food. Used to be Canidae until they changed the formula. Next young dogs will probably come up on Nature's Variety. But I wouldn't put them on Instinct, if you know what I mean.

·
2,074 Posts
feeding a puppy a lot of protein will make the puppy grow too fast, thus having joint issues when its older
Thats been a myth for years....

Guess what I have Presa Canarios and um hmm .. they do not grow any faster then normal ..

So please due tell what a wolf pups eat in the wild?
What does bears cubs eat in the wild, since they are apart of the Canine family?

Hmm as far as I know they EAT a Full Protein diet.

You must remember that Protein is the building block for Muscle

Its not just the protein by itself. Its the fact that puppy food is too nutritious all around (ie...vitamins, minerals, protein, calories, etc) and causes issues because of overnutrition which in turn causes bone deformities in large breed dogs, like Danes (OCD and HOD for example).

But if someone can prove to me that protein is bad for puppies please post link thank you

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Natures Choice Ingredients

Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Whole Brown Rice, Pea Protein, Lamb, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate, L-Lysine, Salt, Choline Chloride, Egg Product, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Copper Proteinate, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

I dont like the fact that it has Soybean Oil b/c its not good for dogs.
The other thing I do not like about the food is the Poultry Fat. Not that it is Poultry Fat .. but the FACT that if you have a dog allergic to Chicken or poultry then you are still adding chicken into there diet.

Much better food then the first one.

Two Pet Stores in Alaska that carry this product

Company: Pet Central of Kodiak
Address: 1627 Mill Bay Road
Kodiak, AK, 99615
Phone: (907) 486-6006

Company: C & E Feeds
Address: 11410 South Russian Creek Road
Kodiak, AK, 99615
Phone: (907) 487-2657

Hope one of them are closer to you.
Thanks for the info, I will definately look into how much the Nature's Choice is, but the vet clinic is the ONLY one on the island, and they have created somewhat of a monopoly when it comes to their product pricing. C&E feeds is the one I was talking about that I have to drive 1/2 hour to and is also high-priced, and Pet Central went out of business about 6 months ago, and they were also very high priced. The only place I can find any decently priced foods are at walmart, and their selection here is very small...

oh wow.. i looked and you're not too close.. lol.. just realized you said you were on an island
hehe yes, I am on Kodiak island, and getting to Anchorage would cost either a plane or ferry ticket. :) we do have a cost-savers here, but I calculated per-pound prices for the Iams i was feeding, and it was waaaaay cheaper to get it at safeway. Thanks for the help though!

So, depending on the price of the Nature's Choice, I may start feeding that. My vet told me that the best department store brand to feed would be Iams, but its kinda expensive here.... do you guys think that if I were to keep feeding Purina that I would have any issues?

·
2,074 Posts
Since you really have to get your food at Walmart.

Natural Life: Adult Lamaderm Lamb Protein & Rice Dog Food

Ingredients
Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Ground Grain Sorghum, Poultry Fat (Preserved W/Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid & Ascorbyl Palmitate - Vitamin C Ester), Ground Flax Seeds, Natural Flavors, Linseed Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Dried Kelp, Choline Chloride, Dl-Methionine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Natural Antioxidants, Vitamin Supplements (E, A, B2, B12, D3), Niacin, Calcium Ascorbate, Calcium, Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Inositol, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Biotin, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Cobalt, Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract.

This is one of the foods that Walmart carries that is a little bit better.
Remember if you have to feed what you feed it is better then nothing.

I might suggest you can add more protein by feeding part kibble and part meat. By adding more protein to the diet you will counter act the carb in the dogs kibble.

You can also grind up the chicken meat / bone and cook it that way as well, but thats if you have a high quality meat grinder.

You can either feed the meat cooked or raw. Some folks do not want to bother with raw meat.
COOK
- Whole Chicken
- Boil it until it falls off the bone
- Let cool and mix the fatty water w/ chicken into your dogs kibble

RAW
- Chicken Quarters
- Feed bone, meat & fat
- When starting cut the leg off the thigh so you have two pieces of meat.
- Feed the chicken legs first to get the dog use to it.
- Then start to feed the thigh
(NOTE: some dogs do not take to RAW, so you might have to cook first then start adding raw into it)

(EX 2 cups of kibble = 1.5 cup kibble / 1 chicken leg)
(EX 2 cups of kibble = 1 cup kibble / 1 chicken thigh)
(EX 2 cups of kibble = 1 cup kibble / 1 chicken quarter)

If you need further help please dont hesitate to ask.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
There are many dogs that eat purina dog food and are some of the best looking dogs I have seen. I now a grand ch. shepard that eats nothing but Tuffy's.

Deb I wonder about yor statement about the bear cub. But they eat blueberries, raspberries plus a slew of other berries as they come into season, acorns, grubs,

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
I'm with you Deb ...... I have fed my dogs raw for the last 6 years and never had a protein problem. My pups start raw @ 7/8 weeks. Grinded up just like their mother would regurgitate their kill for them all meat right ... anyways
I'm not a kibble fan and will do what I can to always be in control of what enters my dogs body but if ever I have no choice ( praying ) and have to resort to kibble then I guess this list comes in handy ......
Look it over it may help you ....
http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/3749-pet-food-rating-comparison-chart.html#post30572

1 - 20 of 33 Posts