Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been giving my 6wk old pup this food for 5-6 days now and she seems to be doing fine.:)

I give her 1C in the morning 1/4 in the afternoon & 1/2 at night.

Has anyone heard any recalls about this food?! Don't really want to change her food since she's doing good on it. No diahrreah or throwing up! :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I would suggest switching to a higher quality food with higher protein. When this bag is close to being done, do a gradual switch. for 2 days feed 3/4 purina and 1/4 the new food, the next 2 days give 1/2 purina and 1/2 new food, another 2 days use 1/4 purina, and 3/4 new food. this will help avoid digestive issues due to switching. A few brands I recommend are Orijen, Taste of the Wild, Horizon, Evo, Innova, and Merrick. There are more, take a look at this site, I would suggest anything with a 4 star rating or above. Most of these are not sold at your local Petco or Petsmart, they are sold at feed stores and some specialty or holistic pet stores. Do some research and find what's best for you in your budget.

Best Dog Foods

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Purina is a 5Star rating .

According to what measure? This website lists it as 3.5 maximum: Purina Pro Plan Select Dog Food | Review and Rating

I personally will never feed anything under the Purina brand to my dogs, or any food you can buy at the grocery store or giant chain stores. I have a dog with major digestive sensitivities and only feed grain free to all my dogs. The website linked above can give you an idea of higher quality foods you can try if you decide to switch.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Puppy Chicken and Rice - Dry Dog Food - FOCUS - Purina® Pro Plan®

My dog seems perfectly fine. Not every dog has digestive issues... Jus sayin

Your dog has been eating this food for how long? your puppy is how old? Your possible digestive issues haven't even begun mama.. look here, you been through this here before.
If youre gonna ask help or advice, don't combat the responses you get, just read them and soak it in, If you don't want to listen, that's your problem, but most of the folks giving you advice on here have been handling pups for longer than you been on earth, or at least longer than you have been a decision making adult..

BTW, Purina food sucks
here are the first ingredients, tell me again its grain free? ("insert flavor of choice ie.. lamb, beef ") brewers rice, whole grain corn, whole grain wheat, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, soybean meal

Reactions: pitbullmamanatl

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Also, I (as a moderator) have previously asked you to only make ONE thread for a topic. I see where another mod had to delete a thread on the same subject because you've posted the same question/information twice, again. I gave you simple instructions to help you find your thread, whether you're using the petguide.com app, or from your computer. Please stop making multiple threads on the same topic. Thank you, again.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Yeaaaaaa rice is definitely a grain. Grain free foods are better. Purine uses lots of fillers in the dog foods. It's like the mcdonalds of the fog world. Many dogs have grain allergies and chicken allergies.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
My dog with digestive issues was eating Beneful (by Purina) with no apparent issues until he was about six months old and then he couldn't keep anything down. I'm not saying that will happen to your pup, just sayin...

Think of it this way, you can survive on McDonald's and junk food and seem "perfectly fine" until you aren't. The negative effects of poor nutrition aren't always visible and many may not manifest for years to come. By the time health issues do arise it could be too late to reverse the damages.

Reactions: HeavyJeep

·
Registered
870 Posts
Pro Plan is a TOP food, and has been fed to CHAMPIONS.

I used it for years and only switched because they are using soy in it now, which has been known to shut down the kidneys of a working/active dog.
I asked why and they couldn't give me an answer.

One thing, the % that stays in the dog to benefit it is very high for Pro Plan.
A lot of Purina is cheap food, but Pro Plan worked good and is high quality.
My female many of you have seen and liked was on it from birth up until last year.

What works for one dog may not work for another.

Nina, if it works for you, stick to it. Nobody on here has spent years researching along with millions of dollars to study the quality.

Chicken and Rice worked for me for years. Never trust the words of competitors.

Of the foods I think sucks? Let's see, Taste of the Wild, Origen....

What does that mean? We all have our own opinions.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I would suggest switching to a higher quality food with higher protein. When this bag is close to being done, do a gradual switch. for 2 days feed 3/4 purina and 1/4 the new food, the next 2 days give 1/2 purina and 1/2 new food, another 2 days use 1/4 purina, and 3/4 new food. this will help avoid digestive issues due to switching.

Best Dog Foods
Measuring the food? Higher protein?

Free feeding is the best way to ensure a dog reaches its full potential. The "recommendations" by dog food companies are ridiculous.
A dog will eat according to its own individual appetite. Pups from same litters will each have own appetite.
Also, free feeding avoids "wild dog syndrome" where they get protective of their food.
They actually crap less when free fed, and eat up to 25% less.
Only time to "schedule feed" is when conditioning or the dog is in a keep.

Protein? Hmmm, lets see. Ever see dogs with bright yellow piss? Too much protein!
That is why wild dogs do not live long, their kidneys are overworked, and it does not store up fat, which is needed.
While they need protein, too much is harmful....less than 30% is best.

·
Registered
870 Posts
you come asking for advice, we give it. take it or leave it.
She was actually telling everyone the food is working good for her pup, not asking for advice, just if there have been recalls.

Since she is a first time dog owner, she doesn't need 1000 opinions on food thrown at her.

There are much worse than Pro Plan. If they made the non-shredded blend still, I'd still be using it.
The shredded blend contains soy. The Puppy (Focus) does not. I know this because I wrote to the company asking why they made the changes.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
G is right.. what works for some will not for others.. My statement should have been.. that it is my opinion that Purina sucks.....

here is why I have that, opinion

The first ingredient in this dog food is chicken. Although it is a quality item, raw chicken contains about 80% water. After cooking, most of that moisture is lost, reducing the meat content to just a fraction of its original weight.

After processing, this item would probably account for a smaller part of the total content of the finished product.

The second ingredient is brewers rice. Brewers rice is a cereal grain by-product consisting of the small fragments left over after milling whole rice. Aside from the caloric energy it contains, this item is of only modest nutritional value to a dog.

The third ingredient is wheat. Like corn, wheat is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain of only modest nutritional value to a dog.

For this reason, we do not consider wheat a preferred component in any dog food.

The fourth ingredient is corn gluten meal. Gluten is the rubbery residue remaining once corn has had most of its starchy carbohydrate washed out of it.

Compared to meat, glutens are inferior grain-based proteins lower in some of the essential amino acids dogs need for life.

This inexpensive plant-based ingredient can significantly boost the total protein reported on the label — a factor that must be considered when judging the actual meat content of this dog food.

The fifth ingredient is poultry by-product meal, a dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste. It’s made from what’s left of slaughtered poultry after all the prime cuts have been removed.

In addition to organs (the nourishing part), this stuff can contain almost anything — feet, beaks, undeveloped eggs — anything except quality skeletal muscle (real meat).

We consider poultry by-products slightly lower in quality than a single-species ingredient (like chicken by-products).

On the brighter side, by-product meals are meat concentrates and contain nearly 300% more protein than fresh poultry.

The sixth ingredient includes soy flakes. Soy flakes are derived from whole soybeans and contain about 55% protein, a factor that must be considered when attempting to judge the actual meat content of a pet food recipe.

The seventh ingredient is corn. Corn is another cereal grain and subject to the same issues as wheat (previously discussed).

The eighth ingredient is corn germ meal, a meal made from ground corn germ after much of the oil has been removed. Corn germ meal is a protein-rich by-product left over after milling corn meal, hominy grits and other corn products.

The ninth ingredient includes animal fat. Animal fat is a generic by-product of rendering, the same high-temperature process used to make meat meals.

Since there’s no mention of a specific animal, this item could come from almost anywhere: roadkill, spoiled supermarket meat, dead, diseased or dying cattle — even euthanized livestock.

For this reason, we do not consider generic animal fat a quality ingredient.

The tenth ingredient is barley. Barley is a starchy carbohydrate supplying fiber and other healthy nutrients. Unlike grains with a higher glycemic index, barley can help support more stable blood sugar levels.

The next ingredient is soybean meal, a by-product of soybean oil production more commonly found in farm animal feeds.

Although soybean meal contains 48% protein, this ingredient would be expected to have a lower biological value than meat.

And less costly plant-based products like this can notably boost the total protein reported on the label — a factor that must be considered when judging the actual meat content of this dog food.

From here, the list goes on to include a number of other items.

But to be realistic, ingredients located this far down the list (other than nutritional supplements) are not likely to affect the overall rating of this product.

Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food
The Bottom Line

Judging by its ingredients alone, Purina Pro Plan dry dog food looks like a below average dry product.

Remember, no dog food can possibly be appropriate for every life stage, lifestyle or health condition. So, choose wisely. And when in doubt, consult a qualified veterinary professional for help.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
why don't you not single out and criticize everyone else who had similar comments as me...
Pro Plan is a TOP food, and has been fed to CHAMPIONS.

I used it for years and only switched because they are using soy in it now, which has been known to shut down the kidneys of a working/active dog.
I asked why and they couldn't give me an answer.

One thing, the % that stays in the dog to benefit it is very high for Pro Plan.
A lot of Purina is cheap food, but Pro Plan worked good and is high quality.
My female many of you have seen and liked was on it from birth up until last year.

What works for one dog may not work for another.

Nina, if it works for you, stick to it. Nobody on here has spent years researching along with millions of dollars to study the quality.

Chicken and Rice worked for me for years. Never trust the words of competitors.

Of the foods I think sucks? Let's see, Taste of the Wild, Origen....

What does that mean? We all have our own opinions
He did........

·
Registered
870 Posts
G is right.. what works for some will not for others.. My statement should have been.. that it is my opinion that Purina sucks.....

here is why I have that, opinion

Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food
The Bottom Line

Judging by its ingredients alone, Purina Pro Plan dry dog food looks like a below average dry product.

Remember, no dog food can possibly be appropriate for every life stage, lifestyle or health condition. So, choose wisely. And when in doubt, consult a qualified veterinary professional for help.
Jeep, reason I can't trust that site is that not all Pro Plan has the same formulas.

When I had my female on it it was the regular Chicken and Rice, not Shredded. They stopped making what I had her and two other dogs on.
They changed the formulas, but the puppy formula is still the old formula, I believe. They just call it Focus now.

My youngest male couldn't be on it like his cousin was. Why? It was making him develop too fast, so I switched.
His legs were starting to grow too quick, so I switched and put him on a supplement.

If they made it the old way I'd still be getting it.
If I can find the reply from PP for the changes, I'll put it up.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts