Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was discussing with some breeder friends of mine how Maile is still intact and will not be spayed BECAUSE of previous experiences Ive had with spaying my dogs. She will NEVER bred, but I dont trust spaying her. Anyway, they told me that she can develop an infection and die if I dont get her spayed and I dont breed her. They mentioned Pyometra. Idk what it is, Idk how she gets it...BUT...is this something I need to be truly concerned about?

I AM responsible when it comes to her when shes in heat...as you all know, she always wears her diaper AND she is always leashed outside and with me when shes doin her biznasty...so, there is NO risk of her getting accidentally preggers, but I AM wondering if her health is at risk. Its too late to decrease the risk of cancer...my vet said by her second heat and shes almost at the 3rd...BUT...any other risks?

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
Pyometra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's an interesting condition... I read this, i know wiki is not the best place for info, but it's been decently reliable for me.

IMO, I wouldn't really worry about it. Just watch her for a few months after each heat cycle.

If you read below it can happen in altered females as well as unaltered. You're danged if you do and you're danged if you don't if you're born with a cooter!

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're danged if you do and you're danged if you don't if you're born with a cooter!
Aint that the troof! LOL. They were freaking me out last night! ALSO, Shana, did you know you can show an altered dog in ABKC? They show in the Retired class, and apparently cant CH, but, they can be shown?! LOL.

Thanks for the info Shana! Ron, Erica and Kevin were tweakin me out and telling me what happens and such...I almost made an appt for Maile right then...but...ugh, I hate the thought.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Yes!

It does happen to not only dogs but cats as well. I've only had male dogs but my oldest cat's (of 3) female. She had lived with my mom for a bit after I moved out & was never spayed. Well this year, a few months after getting her back I found her laying on top of the bed not moving, would not eat, drink & couldn't move. It hit her out of NO WHERE, one day she's fine the next she's in critical condition. I rushed her to the vet, he ran some tests & had to do an emergency surgery removing her uterus because the pyometra infection would take over her body & her white blood cell count was so high. I had gotten her in just in the nick of time.

Luckily I have an amazing vet, who doesn't even like cats but took her home with him over the weekend just to keep an eye on her & she pulled through. It was the most scary thing I had been through with my animals. Even though you had a bad experience with spaying it's twice as scary dealing with pyometra, knowing you could have prevented the whole thing.

I was like you though at first & felt it was a scare tactic drs. use that was a 10% chance of happening so they can get $ from you. Turns out, he knew what he was talking about & it happens too often. Then on I decided it was best not to learn the hard way with my animals ever again & just got Lex neutered this past month.

You never really know unless you've been through it, Good luck!

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes!

It does happen to not only dogs but cats as well. I've only had male dogs but my oldest cat's (of 3) female. She had lived with my mom for a bit after I moved out & was never spayed. Well this year, a few months after getting her back I found her laying on top of the bed not moving, would not eat, drink & couldn't move. It hit her out of NO WHERE, one day she's fine the next she's in critical condition. I rushed her to the vet, he ran some tests & had to do an emergency surgery removing her uterus because the pyometra infection would take over her body & her white blood cell count was so high. I had gotten her in just in the nick of time.

Luckily I have an amazing vet, who doesn't even like cats but took her home with him over the weekend just to keep an eye on her & she pulled through. It was the most scary thing I had been through with my animals. Even though you had a bad experience with spaying it's twice as scary dealing with pyometra, knowing you could have prevented the whole thing.

I was like you though at first & felt it was a scare tactic drs. use that was a 10% chance of happening so they can get $ from you. Turns out, he knew what he was talking about & it happens too often. Then on I decided it was best not to learn the hard way with my animals ever again & just got Lex neutered this past month.

You never really know unless you've been through it, Good luck!
DANG! Im glad to hear she made it! But that is scary. It sounds a lot like HGE (Hemmoragicgastro Enteritis), which my Chi had when she was 7 months. She just SUDDENLY became completely unresponsive and we had to RUSH to the vet.

All things to think about, and I thank you for your input!

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
HGE is something totally different, Pyometra is an infection uterus that happens after like 6 - 7 years of age. They say anywhere after that is like a ticking time bomb, (my vet's opinion), & is worse in smaller dogs & felines than large breed canines... Why, i'm not exactly sure, but it is something to be on the look out for.

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HGE is something totally different, Pyometra is an infection uterus that happens after like 6 - 7 years of age. They say anywhere after that is like a ticking time bomb, (my vet's opinion), & is worse in smaller dogs & felines than large breed canines... Why, i'm not exactly sure, but it is something to be on the look out for.
I know its different...the symptoms just sound similar. Im most def going to keep an eye on here and talk to my vet.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
You can spay now or spay when she is sick with a closed pyo. The only advantage to spaying now is that it is cheaper when the dog is well than when you run in for an emergency.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
I know its different...the symptoms just sound similar. Im most def going to keep an eye on here and talk to my vet.
She's large enough, I'm sure there may be other clean options to keep her from getting it... Just one of those girl things - if ya get my drift. But like I said I have male dogs so after that scare it's not something I've enlightened myself on, yet. :)

HGE, I'll have to read up on more but that's interesting to know.

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She's large enough, I'm sure there may be other clean options to keep her from getting it... Just one of those girl things - if ya get my drift. But like I said I have male dogs so after that scare it's not something I've enlightened myself on, yet. :)

HGE, I'll have to read up on more but that's interesting to know.
HGE was terrifying. Its similar symptoms to Parvo except it comes on SUDDENLY.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts