Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I shared all this on fb but thought I would post it over here too! :p I couldn't believe this actually happened.

Anyway, I was shoveling off the deck from the ever present snow here in the northeast. Pyra was out burning off some energy while I shoveled. Well she caught sight somehow of her cow hide on the roof edge and jumped up so high for it. Well she landed on the corner of my shovel and slit open an artery on the inside of her leg. Blood was squirting everywhere! It looked like a crime scene! And of course like the crazy dog she is, she kept jumping for it, not even knowing she had a gushing artery. I had to drag her in because she wanted the darn cow hide so bad.
I cleaned her up and applied pressure for 10 minutes at a time off and on for about half an hour trying to get the bleeding to stop and it would after 10 minutes, but then she would sit down, opening it up again so off to the vet we go!
The vet was so surprised at how stoic she was. She even tried to go after the cat that lives at the vet. She seriously felt no pain and was all wiggles when the vets were working on her. Haha! There's an American Pit Bull Terrier for ya!

Anyway, here is a picture I snapped of her at the vet. The bandage is off now and it looks great. Got to get the staples removed in a little less than 2 weeks. This kind of sucks because I was starting to get her ready for the show season but I guess it will have to wait and she might not look as good for the first show. Oh well! :)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
so freaking scary! I hope she heels beautifully. I am sure she will get a ribbon even without working, she is BEAUTIFUL! I CAN NOT WAIT for spring! I am so glad she is doing better and no long term effects happened!

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Jesus chick what ya doing to my dog?!!

Im so sorry this happened. Just a reminder yard accidents arent just with other dogs. I cant imagine how you felt or how scary it was. Glad shes alright!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
omg what a tough cookie lol... love that she went after the cat even with an injury LMAO.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know she is so weird. Now she is going crazy not getting much exercise. I should be able to take her for basic walks but no jumping or running till its healed. She gets very jealous that Lucius gets to run everywhere and go outside off leash while she is crated or leashed... Gonna be a long couple of weeks

·
<(-.-)> N00B
350 Posts
Wow! Poor pup just wanted her raw hide! LOL I'm glad she is okay though Coach. Could have been a whole lot worse.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Geez, that's scary. Glad she is ok though.

we are what we do repeatedly. excellence is then not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
ohman howd I miss this.. how random! hope for a speedy recovery!

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Seriously sorry to here about Pyra Coach but glad that it had a happy ending. In a few weeks she will be fine without being any worse for the wear. What's the odds of an accident like that happening but if that's your story --- stick with it. LOL!! I'd blame it on this frickin' Winter that just won't quit. Glad you were able to slow the bleeding you probably saved her life.

Joe

·
Registered
901 Posts
Glad to hear Pyra is okay. Love the green boo boo bandage. I too would blame it on the snow. We're expecting another 6-12" tonight in Ohio, seems like it will never end.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well they said to wait a week or so (I think) and then after that just light walks... No running until she gets the staples removed and they clear her to be able to go back to her normal crazy exercising lol!
I think I'm just going to put her on the treadmill because she gets extremely crazy when she sees another dog. Flips, jumps, spins, stands on back legs and walks...yeah... Even witht the prong collar on. So maybe I will just do the treadmill with her until she gets the all clear! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts