Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a American stafford terrier/lab mix.
He is altered and about 20 months old. We adopted him from the pound when he was 3 months old. Recently he has started to show signs of aggression. I am at a loss I do not know what to do. When we are on the couch and I reach out to pet him he either growls and shows his teeth or bites with no warning. I have had a trainer come to my home and she gave me some good sugesstions and most of the problems have gone away but not the couch problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Seeu2

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
here is my take on the problem and mind you im not there and havent seen the problems so im takin a stab in the dark here but sounds to me like he is claiming the couch for himself i would stop him altogther from getting on the furniture and see if this helps at all. are their any other sighns of aggression he may be showing besides this? not to be rude at all but kinda sounds like the dog has roles mixed up in the house and thinks of himself as the alpha and not you this need sot be changed imo but this is my opionion and again i havcent seen the problems first hand so cant give much more advice. hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your quick reply,
That is what we thought that he was claiming the couch. But he does this in other places too. We try very hard to be good leaders. We eat first, we go out the door first, on walks is is beside us and not in front.
We really love this guy and just want him to be well adjusted and happy. But we can not have him biting us. so any and all suggestions would help.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
yeah that's no good. there are a few things to try. Take everything away from him, including food bowls and toys. Only allow him to play and what not when you say, not all the time. Once you rule out that nothing is wrong with him at the vet, try NILIF http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/11559-nilif.html

I would not stand for a dig that bites me, so I would try and get a handle on it ASAP like you are.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
biting without warning should be a huge red flag for you that is not normal nor should it be tolerated. Regardless of claiming something or not. I would 1st get him off the couch and take whatever he becomes possesive over away from him. I would also get him temperment tested by someone who is familiar with this breed. Dog aggression is one thing to deal with ,Human aggression is a whole other thing and should NEVER be tolerated regardless of what breed they are. That dog would not be in my home I can say that. If you decide to live with this you will have to make sure he is properly contained as to avoid some accidents { last thing this breed needs is more of those}. Id deff have his temperment checked though.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
biting without warning should be a huge red flag for you that is not normal nor should it be tolerated. Regardless of claiming something or not. I would 1st get him off the couch and take whatever he becomes possesive over away from him. I would also get him temperment tested by someone who is familiar with this breed. Dog aggression is one thing to deal with ,Human aggression is a whole other thing and should NEVER be tolerated regardless of what breed they are. That dog would not be in my home I can say that. If you decide to live with this you will have to make sure he is properly contained as to avoid some accidents { last thing this breed needs is more of those}. Id deff have his temperment checked though.
:goodpost:

The NILIF that Ames suggested is good as well.

Good luck. Hope everything works out. Keep us posted

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
he looks like a young dog to me i would nip it in the bud now let him kno you mean buisness by saying that im not telling you to beat him ive never raised a hand to my dogs but they have the fear of god from me they kno better and i start things young if i have bite problems i take them by the side of the mouth with both hands and plase them on their back look directy into their eyes and say a deep no almost a growl sometimes i shake a little no to hurt them but to let them know i am the alpha and i wont put up with your crap i definatly set up rules boundries for them where they can go inside where they cant go no furniture no kitchen they even have rules for when guest come over they have to go kennel with the doors to the kennels open until they r released to come say hi and meet people i do this because it gives the guest time to sit down and not get mauled with kisses although some like it some dont and they become scared when big dogs come to them theen your dogs reads the fear and things can go either way but when the dogs are allowed to meet them mind you its still on my terms sorry if i rambles here i tend to i hope some of this helps you blessings to you and your pup.
Robert

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
wow, so crazy! Totally looks a like :) very cute pup, of course :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey everyone thank you so much for all your advice I took it to heart. It has been a while since I posted on here. But I did want to update on his progress. Tanner is now 2 1/2 years old. All of the aggression issues have been resolved! He has become an excellent dog.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Hey everyone thank you so much for all your advice I took it to heart. It has been a while since I posted on here. But I did want to update on his progress. Tanner is now 2 1/2 years old. All of the aggression issues have been resolved! He has become an excellent dog.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Hey that's excellent news!!! Great job

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Nice job! Great to hear!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts