Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get thrown under the bus lol, I am not a breeder nor have I ever wanted to breed. My Nila is fixed and is strictly a house pet. I was watching youtube videos and ran across one where a man breed son to mother!! I am just curious would this not produce mutated puppies? Is this common practice? It seems disturbing and odd to me that a son/mother or daughter/father would be breed together. Like I said I am not a breeder so I am clueless about this. Is this a normal? What are the pros/cons of breeding mother/son or father/daughter?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
its line breeding and majority of the dogs out there have that done somewhere in there pedigree more then once , Its a common thing and no it doesnt produce mutated puppys per say although you have to know what you are doing when doing that. I believe they do that to inhance certain traits they want although if done wrong you could be inhancing the bad traits that arent desired as well. I also think I heard someone say that you dont want to do more then 3 or so line breedings in a row or there can be things come about that arent so great was always told 2-3 line breedings then out cross with something. ALthough Im sure one of the breeders on here could chime in and give more of a reason why this is desired at times and when it isnt.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I agree with you... it is slightly disturbing. I know inbreeding in humans leads to all sorts of messed up stuff.

Line breeding isn't as bad... but I still think its quite odd lol. Line breeding is more... Great granddaughter to Great Great grandson, usually of seperate Sires/Dams

INBREEDING VS LINEBREEDING

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Son to mother would not be line breeding it would be inbreeding, and is very risky unless you have 2 pretty much perfect specimens then your still going to enhance every fault and would probably have to cull heavily
:goodpost::goodpost:

and most people arent very good at culling

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Are you sure? I see a ton of daughter to son , dad to daughter breedings all over the boards they say its line breeding.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Most do consider father to daughter line breeding although very tight, but mother to son is inbreeding
that makes no sense to me lol , isnt it pretty much the same thing mother to son vs father to daugter lol , is that just there way to make it sound more legit then calling it line breeding vs calling it inbreeding ? I actually thought the 2 were pretty much the same thing anyways just different wording.

·
Registered
70 Posts
that makes no sense to me lol , isnt it pretty much the same thing mother to son vs father to daugter lol , is that just there way to make it sound more legit then calling it line breeding vs calling it inbreeding ? I actually thought the 2 were pretty much the same thing anyways just different wording.
Personally i would consider father to daughter , mother to son , or brother to sister inbreeding,but some do not consider father to daughter inbreeding , I have heard the argument that the genetic are not as tight but that would be too tight for me to consider JMO .

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Don't get me wrong i didn't say i would not own a dog bred that tight I just would not breed one that tight ,some mighty fine dogs come from inbreeding
some of the best and some of the worst come from it... just one of those things you research over and over again and take your chances.. then cull hard :D

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
it takes a lot of knowledge to breed a good dog that tight, theres some people that do it hella right and theres alot of people who fail at it hella hard. but its always a risk some times the litter comes out still or they come out and they all die, some times you get one or 2 pups outta it

·
Banned
283 Posts
That's what I was thinking. I mean Genetics Wise the odds are you'll get a couple pups that turn out the way you wanted... but what about the other six? Quality wise, how would their lives be? It just doesn't seem fair for the ones who didn't turn out the way they wanted, they get brought into the world just to die from bad breeding. Or they live but have a lot of health issues.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
That's what I was thinking. I mean Genetics Wise the odds are you'll get a couple pups that turn out the way you wanted... but what about the other six? Quality wise, how would their lives be? It just doesn't seem fair for the ones who didn't turn out the way they wanted, they get brought into the world just to die from bad breeding. Or they live but have a lot of health issues.
uhmm they probably wouldnt survive or if they were that messed up they'd be culled

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
ok lets put this in restoration terms would you want to put your name on a restoration where the finished product is a car held together by duct tape and string? some of these dogs might have defects that are severe and the dogs need to be put done because it'd be unfair to let them live that way.

this isnt a new thing though. in the wild nature doesnt care who the sire and dam are the best dogs survive the and the weak die, its messed up but its the truth.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah but that's still not fair... they are killed just cause you wanted those 2 dogs to be "perfect"
That's exactly what what you get most of the time is 1 or 2 great dogs and cull the rest and i really do not mean most of the time but on the well researched and with the breeder that knows his dogs.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts