Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so last night we went up to have dinner with Jaime's dad and I cooked for him. Chino was out with me all day as I had the day off, but we didn't wanna leave him and took him with us. Her parents have a lab mix who plays well with him until she gets frustrated. Well long story short they were playing in the sprinkler and he tried to mount her (she's fixed) and I called him to me, he came and she followed. They were both sitting right in front of my, he turned to lick her and she bit his ear. Now I didn't notice because it didnt bleed immediately. We washed it out and put some peroxide on it and some syptic powder.

Chino slept in his crate last night, and I thought his ear might have been doing better but apparently whatever had scabbed got scratched off. We didn't have a cone laying around and I'm stuck at work but when my boss is here I'm making him watch the store so I can go get him a cone.

My question is what else besides styptic powder should I put on it? I plan to put a cone on it, and I think that will do the trick but anything else I should include to prevent infection? It's not a big cut it just bled a lot once he scratched it. Jaime wanted to wrap his paws but I knew that would last minutes after we left.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Is he shaking his head? You can cause a hematoma from head shaking for scratching. If he is shaking his head then you need to tape his ear down to his head so he does not make a hematoma and put a cone on him. DO NOT use peroxide use another antiseptic cleaner they have a ton to choose from at the drug store I would also put some triple antibiotic ointment put gauze then tape it if he is shaking. If he is not shaking put the cone one, clean it, put on the cream and leave it alone it will be fine in a few days. If it starts to swell you can start him on some antibiotics but ears heal quickly you should be just fine without them.

If you have to tape his head call around and look for elastikon tape, it is the only tape that sticks to dogs fur, it will pull some hair off when you remove it so do not over tape. If you get a hematoma it leaves scare tissue and has to be drained and is a big pain in the butt, I would worry about that more than any infection.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hematoma? **** that IS worse than infection. He did shake his head once this morning, but it was after being crated for the night. Im still waiting on my boss im mad that I didnt have time to run to the store. Whats the first sign of hematoma?

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know if it matters it did not puncture all the way through, and it was along the edge of his ear, where the crop incision was. Darn pitbulls and their pain tolerance. I wish he would have wined so I could have woken up earlier to check it out. Thanks for the help Lisa.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Really I would not worry about a little bite to the ear, honestly if it was my dog I would clean it once and let it scab up and not worry. OMG I forgot Chino has cropped ears right? I would not worry about a hematoma with cropped ears, sorry!! Natural ears get hematoma when they shake the head because the ear slaps on their big head and causes fluid build up! lol But with cropped ears you really do not need to worry about it. Again if he was my dog I would just clean it and since this happened last night just leave it alone and let it heal up. If you notice any oozing then you can clean it out again and use triple cream but I would just leave it alone. If he is scratching it then get a cone if not just let it heal up.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Darn it Lisa... I just ran home like a madman after running and getting some tape, gauze and triple cream and a cone. I bought him another one of his kevlar dragons (he has like 3 missing limbs but once he tears into them once he lets them live so he can carry them around lol) so he has something to chew on in his crate.

He saw me come in and bumped his head on the crate cuz he was excited that I had come home early and then saw the cone and put his head down. He knew it was coming. I washed the ear again and put some triple cream on it, put gauze on it and gave him a tape collar. lol. Then i put the e collar on and put him in his crate with his toy. I heard him grunting in disapproval as I rushed back to work :( lol

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I think you are over re-acting Oz. He should be just fine if it is just a scratch. Poor Chino making him wear that darn cone...give him a hug for me.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I might be over reacting but this morning there was blood anywhere. And I know my dog any time that thing scabs up he'll rip it off and it'll start to bleed. Just being cautious I guess.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
LMAO Oz your funny! If it keeps bleeding you can always use liquid bandage and that works well. No need to tape a cropped ear and I am soooooo sorry!! Again if he is scratching you may need the cone for a few days but if not he should be ok. Better to be over protective and no do a darn thing! ;)

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha.. Well Chino is doing well. I bought him one of his favorite toys knowing it'd be torn up soon.. I bought the flexible cones.. And that got pulled off and ****ed up the SAME day I put it on him. He hates cones since his ear crop. TOO darn funny. It hasn't bled the triple cream really helped. I had wound lotion at home but it was really runny.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Glad to hear it is doing better. I know you are just a protective father OZ I just had to poke a little fun at you.lol I hope Chino had fun with his toy while it lasted.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hate spending money I didnt really have to.. Like on the cone. Man.... Pitbulls and E collars.....

Yes Im overprotective. A lot of people tell me having a puppy is like rough practice for having kids. Of course theyre not the same having a child is a lot more complex and everything, but it's certainly taught me a lot to have Chino :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
better safe than sorry right, oz? actually when i first picked Red up from his previous owners, he had a little nip on his ear. i really didnt think anything of it until it started to bleed, like Chino's. except Reds started to bleed from him shaking his head like performance said. i tried everything to keep it from reopening the wound. it wasnt all that big of a scab but it was still enough to sling blood all over the wall and tv. once i decided that i have had enough i finally did what she told you to do... i had to tape his ear to his head.. boy did if look funny, and he didnt like it either. probally bkuz the tape was pulling his hair. but i used alchohol, and trip anitbiotic ointment. band-aid's wouldnt stay on him and it wouldnt stop bleeding for at least 2 months later, then took another week to heal. but it was never infected, and never showed any signs of being messed with by him...

to be honest once his ear finally healed up, that is when i noticed the scar that he had on his face, above the eye. im guessing that it was a cat that Red got in a fight with bkuz it wasnt a long scratch, or a very big mark on his ear. but since i got him at a year old, i dont know how long or how bad those cuts actually were. and the previous owners acted ignorant about them so ther is no telling how he got them nor how long he had them. ohh well he healed up fine and he never acted like it bothered him.

knowing you oz, chino will recover just fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts