Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey GP fam, I've seen people ask questions about tv's before and get good responses so I thought I'd ask here. We have a 40 in flat screen it is 1080 p 120 hz. We are looking into getting a new dvd player since our's broke. I was wondering if we should get a standard dvd player or a blu ray. With our old player we had it hooked up via an HDMI cable. The picture was unreal, very clear. It looked similar to a blu ray player picture. Then I heard the other day that blu ray is just a 1080 p picture so it would be the same as what I already have. Is this true? Should we just save our money and get another regular dvd player and skip on the blu ray?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
we have same sorta set up but the blu rays still come in way clearer and crisper picture , really a prefrence id go blu ray. Then again our blu ray player plays DVD's as well maybe something like that would be best ?

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Don't know if this helps but id go with a regular dvd player, if you have a nice, clear tv which you do, why not just go with a decent regular dvd player? Is it not clear?

lol call me old fashion but im sick of hearing about blu ray, 3D and all this other new crap they keep coming with. I have seen blu ray vs regular and i wasn't that impressed to justify the price. Sure the players have gone down but blu disks are freaking ridiculously priced. Not worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
I just got a PS# plays game Bluray and DVD. Can't go wrong covering all the bases...LOl

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know if this helps but id go with a regular dvd player, if you have a nice, clear tv which you do, why not just go with a decent regular dvd player? Is it not clear?

lol call me old fashion but im sick of hearing about blu ray, 3D and all this other new crap they keep coming with. I have seen blu ray vs regular and i wasn't that impressed to justify the price. Sure the players have gone down but blu disks are freaking ridiculously priced. Not worth it to me.
I found regular dvd players that do hd up conversion for around 40.00 (good brand) still half the price of the cheapest blu ray player (cheap brand) I think I'll go with one of those. We have 30 dollar reward points for Best Buy, think I'll be spending them on one of those. :)

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i can tell you right now that it wasnt as good as blue-ray w/ just the hdmi .. blue ray is a whole different world.. they have upconverting dvd players so you can still watch all the movies you already own.. they just double the lines and give it 720p quality basically

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
PS3 can do way more than games. Movies shows Netflix internet Hulu and Bly rays. Totally worth the money and around the same as a Bly ray player typically :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Ya we have a few PS3 and we use it for everything just mentioned movies, net flix surf the internet , you can hook a keyboard up to it to make it easier for typing , its how my man is on the same time I am usually. And they dropped prices alot, lol besides buy it for tomorrow and you can say "happy fathers day" to your man LMAO he will love it lol

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Ya we have a few PS3 and we use it for everything just mentioned movies, net flix surf the internet , you can hook a keyboard up to it to make it easier for typing , its how my man is on the same time I am usually. And they dropped prices alot, lol besides buy it for tomorrow and you can say "happy fathers day" to your man LMAO he will love it lol
I know right great fathers day gift. The best way to go in opinion is ps3. Know you can post from your couch, on the big screen....

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
you can get a decent bluray player for $100 now..

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
+1 for the PS3. They are way more than game consoles. Mine is networked to my PC and I basically use it as my media player. To be honest, I hardly use it for gaming!

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
i agree with rudy its got alot of features you can go online with it look at the news and weather and set up parental controls on it if you have kiddies so they cant watch any rated r or dirty movies with out your permission. its pretty cool. all around the ps3 probably the best bang for your buck plus the controllers not slim so you cant loose it in your couch :D

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
The picture on an HDTV with a Blu Ray player is going to be MUCH better than that of a stand alone DVD player. Make sure your using an HDMI cable to connect the blu-ray player to your HDTV for the best picture possible. I have an LG Blu ray player and a Sony Bravia HDTV. When watching blu ray's on our TV the picture quality and sound is AMAZING!!!! Depending on your TV and it specs some TV's will obviously produce a better picture with less noise it just depends on your equipment and the specs. But for what Blu ray player's cost now a days they are around the same price as a regular DVD player. I would say go with a blu ray player it can play both Blu ray and DVD disks. Some good brands off the top of my head are sony, LG, Samsung. They also have HD Dvd Disks that will produce a better picture than your regular DVD disk.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
As far as PS3 goes SUCKS! LOL I am an xbox 360 girl myself and have been since day one. Most of the good games that I play are not even available for PS3. I am not one to buy a console because it is an all in one package deal because if it breaks so does everything else. I own several gaming consoles from the original sega master system/Nintendo Nes to the Wii, Xbox 360, PS2, PSP3000's, Super Nintendo, Nintendo DS 3gs. Our family is real big on gaming LOL. I can say that for what it's worth technology changes rapidly they come out with something bigger and better every year. If your going to buy electronics make sure your getting what suits your needs and purchase extended warranty's on high dollar purchases.

Old school Gamer right here. I come from an era of the best game systems! lol No matter how old and out dated they are people are still buying and playing them.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
i like versatility thats why i suggested the ps3. theres alot of different ways to do things though my dads has his blu ray player and the standard dvd writer on his computer and his video card has a s jack so we can hook it up to the tv, but for the blu ray you'd want a card with an hdmi out put. but chose something that fits you. that's the most important part.

the only problem with the 360 is the overheating issue had to void my warranty to fix it but its still laggy when its on for a while. i still have my nes some where, the super nintendo even got my sega genesis with the disc. got a new gen hooked on it too gave my neighbors 5 year old one of the 2 super nes's before i moved.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I have the new 360 LOL I bought it as soon as it came out and sold my old one the new ones don't have the over heating issues and the red ring of death issues. I have had none of those issues due to the internal redesign. But for some of the games I play like Halo, Gears of War, those games are not available for the PS3. Plus the xbox live exp is WAY better than PS3 online. It really comes down to personal choice I have never wanted the PS3. I also don't buy all in one electronics because like I said if one thing breaks everything else breaks too. I have stand alone units for my Blu-Ray Player, DVD Player, Vhs player ect. But to each his own.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
hddvd has been done with a long time..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Old school Gamer right here. I come from an era of the best game systems! lol No matter how old and out dated they are people are still buying and playing them.[/QUOTE]

Me to

1 - 20 of 36 Posts