Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought it yesterday and it was a fight to put it on her and she ran around like a mad dog through the whole house trying to get it off. Anyway after said and done its great! she walks amazingly I actually started to smile when we walked down the road. Some people asked why are you putting a muzzle on her thats not good you will make her feel like she is doing something wrong. Also she was fighting it in the street so it made it look worse . I tried to explain what it was put people assumed I did not know what I was doing. Her tonuge was out her mouth so i'm thinking why are you people still assuming its a muzzle. Anyway she bit up the nose part and its hooked together by one piece of string (looks like it can pop at anytime) I am worried I pulled the nose part to tight because when I took it off it left a line where it was. Here are some pics I took of her is it too tight? ...and I was wondering can I keep it on all day?

Sorry the pics are so big I don't know how to make them smaller

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
only put it on her for walks. it should be very tight around the neck more then the nose because if its to tight around the muzzle the leader will rub and burn the top of her muzzle. once u get the leader on remember to PRAISE. im sure u can slip a treat through it too.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You should be able to slide the nose loop from the bridge to the beginning of her nose but not onto the nose. You should ONLY be able to get one finger under the loop around the base. In the pics, it does not look too tight. Most often, it will leave a small impression across the bridge but it should go away in a few minutes. Also, if I remember correctly, premier has a replacement policy for chewed gentle leaders and harnesses so check their website. You will need a new head collar before you walk with it again; if the nose loop snaps/breaks, it will not apply the correct pressure at the base of the skull to provide the desired results. Head collars can be left on for a max of 18 hours a day; however, they should never be left on when the dog is unattended.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
418 Posts
You should be able to slide the nose loop from the bridge to the beginning of her nose but not onto the nose. You should ONLY be able to get one finger under the loop around the base. In the pics, it does not look too tight. Most often, it will leave a small impression across the bridge but it should go away in a few minutes. Also, if I remember correctly, premier has a replacement policy for chewed gentle leaders and harnesses so check their website. You will need a new head collar before you walk with it again; if the nose loop snaps/breaks, it will not apply the correct pressure at the base of the skull to provide the desired results. Head collars can be left on for a max of 18 hours a day; however, they should never be left on when the dog is unattended.

Hope this helps!
That pretty much sums it up ^

I have one for Layla and she hates it. If for some reason you end up not liking it you can try the easy walk harness it doesnt stop the pulling 100% like the gentle leader does but it does make them more cautious about pulling and Layla doesn't mind wearing it .

GoodLuck!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see a bruise on her snout...I thought I fit it perfect....can it be from her fighting to take it off?

·
Registered
962 Posts
it does look a lil tight, but if she is trying to pull away in the pics, it's gonna look that way.
the leader should not be tight but it also shouldn't be loose. the goal of the leader is to teach the dog that it has to stay where the handler wants them. while a choke or pinch collar work with swift corrections for a dog that randomly pulls, a "leader" makes the dogs head turn towards the owner when they stray too far from a comfort and/or acceptable zone. a gentle leader is more effective with dogs who constantly pull on a leash during the entire walk.
if you are going to work with a "leader", i recomend working on a "heel" command in your front yard (while using the leader). use the leader to help teach a "heel" in a comfortable area before you start taking your dog out on random walks with massive distractions.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I see a bruise on her snout...I thought I fit it perfect....can it be from her fighting to take it off?
Some dogs will try to paw off the head collar or rub their faces on the ground which can cause abrasions. I always suggest to anyone that once you have it on, WALK!! If you give them too much time to "get used to it" before you are working (walking) they will figure out a way to get it off or stretch out the fit. By immediately walking, you focus them on the task at hand rather than the foreign thing on their face! LOL Just as an aside, we have also found it is excellent for training "head up" so that when we are walking they are not trying to put their noses in the litter on the ground. It can take a few walks and really some dogs will never like it but it makes a huge difference and the results will not only apply when the head collar is on but anytime you walk once they get the hang of it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts