Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So glad I found this site!

My family and I recently got a beautiful pitbull puppy and named him Roscoe...he is 8 1/2 weeks old now and is the best dog ever! We all adore him especially our kids....he is exceptionally smart & very playful, listens great and is already house trained =)

anyway - my question to you has to do with the appearance of his ears (see pic) about 2 days ago we noticed hi one ear not flopping over as the other one does and wondered if it is normal, or something we should be concerned about - is it just too early in his life to tell if they will both "even out" ? (I am strongly against this) but my husband thinks that if we get them cropped they will both be symmetrical...I would love your thoughts about this.

DSCN7250-2.jpg Roscoe 6 1/2 weeks
DSCN7283.JPG Roscoe 8 1/2 weeks

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
its normal , if youlook at some pictures through the thread there are many different looks the ears can have some stand right up , some the tips flip over and some have a full flop , and no guarantee what 1 ear does the other will as well . natural ears are cute I like both cropped and natural so you will have to decide what look you want in the end. :) Id suggest taking a look through the picture thread at dogs and see what you like the look of most , hard to think at this age cause they are sooo cute as puppys but look at the adults and think what you would want then. :) he is adorable by the way

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here is something that might help... http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/19079-how-glue-tape-natural-ears.html you can glue/tape natural ears to make them sit properly, but the reality is, it's all in the owner's preference. Some pitties have ears that stick straight up, some lay perfectly naturally, and some get cropped/taped to look "correct." Your opinion of the "right" way to have a dogs ears is your own preference, some people don't care how their dogs ears turn out, and some (such as people who show their dogs) want them to be perfect. Angelbaby is right, it is normal for a puppies ears to be a little goofy as they are growing up, and isn't necessarily a reflection of how they will look when he/she is older. My boy had one ear that would lay flat across the top of his head from the age of 6-9 months, but they eventually evened out and I think they lay perfectly now. It's all in how you want it, and if you are against cropping, gluing/taping could help. I have never done it myself, but the link I posted above has some links in it that are very helpful. And also, a warm :welcome: to GoPitbull! I hope you stick around, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people and professionals around here, you will learn a lot. :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I like cropped ears but thats my preference... A show crop would look good on him.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
they will change and could be completly different when he is grown... hes adorable either way :D

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Pups ears go through many changes. My girl looked just like your pup at that age. One ear began to roseprick and the other was dropped. She grew into a perfect set of roseprick ears. The pup is at the right age to crop so if you are going to do it, do it now. But if not, you get what you get! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much for the input!! Funny thing...just hours after posting this, we noticed his other starting to take the same shape (rose prick, I believe) Personally, I think he looks adorable and that the ears give him character, but hubby still wants to look into cropping them =(

About how much does cropping cost?

Thanks again for the info...I look forward to enjoying this site and sharing our new family member with you all...you all have some of the most beautiful dogs I have ever seen - and it's nice to be apart of a group that is so excepting of them...seems like everywhere I take our little Roscoe everyone i crazy about him, then when they ask what breed he is I get mixed reviews...But I could care less what others think - I did my research, I have numerous friends who have them and wouldn't trade them for anything, especially my friends with kids because they go on and on about what a loyal & protective dog theirs have been to their kids :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
We are not allowed to crop in Aus but i wouldnt even if we could i just prefer natural. A dog with nice perfect ears is great but i think you will find that you wont notice after awhile regardless, that kinda goofy uneven look suits the breed and the expressions they make i think, my boofhead has two ears with a different flop and i seriously wouldnt have it any other way.
if you are looking at showing however you may just need to keep them perfect.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
crops will range you would have better luck contacting the vet or breeders in your area , i got a laser crop with luna running me 500-600 dollars and then found out what a rip off that is and got the traditional for cali at about 300 dollars.

·
Registered
859 Posts
his ears will change but if you want to consider cropping you may wanna do it soon and read all about it so you don't scare yourself if this is your first crop that is. :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
My pup had one ear down and one rose pricked but they definitely evened out. If you are going to crop make sure you and your husband understand the work that has to be put into taping the ears and dealing with the stitches and healing, etc.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
My girls ears are half rose prick and I love them. I like the look of cropped ears but my personal opinion is that this breed looks intimadating enough already and has a bad enough rep. I think the ears add to the stigma and make them look even more intimidating. Its totally up to you. Men are always funny......they will chop there dogs ears off with no problem but tell them to neuter there male dog and they wont think about chopping off that part. Lol! Welcome to the board!! Your pup is handsome :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Blue_Nose_Bella ! Your girl is beautiful too!! And OMG! you are so right about the neuter thing...I brought it up last night and he wanted to hear nothing about it LOL! men :hammer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts