Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here. We just got a 1 yr old female pit bull the end of last summer and when we first got her she seemed to not shed at all, although I am aware we all shed all year long but for the past month she has been shedding a lot, hair is everywhere, so I am guessing they shed their coat 2 times a year and my question is for how long? A month, 2 months etc. Thanks:pup:

·
Registered
816 Posts
haha my boy is 8 months and he started shedding 2 weeks ago and hasnt quit...jesus this is crazy.... oh well haha

but yes i was wondering the same thing...i was told twice a year for sure but not how long it lasted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know right! and we just bought a crimson red couch. Not good. LOL My baby is super light in color so it shows on everything. I have a dark purple rug I had to vacuum everyday until I finally just rolled it up and put it under the table until she stops.

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
They shed all of the time, but they shed soooo much twice a year. I'd guesstimate between 2 weeks and a month. Ecko sheds his summer coat for about 2 weeks around November, and again in March. We live in FL though so it's not as much hair coming and going. Be happy you don't own a Huskie or Malamute. I house sit for Malamutes and brush them on the dock. The river turns white and looks like it has icebergs. I'm grateful for Ecko's short coat.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
They shed pretty much all year and a little heavier in the change of seasons like stated above.

I've noticed that a proper diet and a little salmon oil helps contain it a bit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, my boy sheds a lot right now because of the seasonal change. My last one did the same thing. I use a stiff rubber brush every other day and it works like a champ.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah, my boy sheds a lot right now because of the seasonal change. My last one did the same thing. I use a stiff rubber brush every other day and it works like a champ.
this was more or less going to be my reply. they shed as long as it takes to get the excess hair out, therefore brushing every day speeds up this process and minimalises the amount of hair that is shed during the rest of the day.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Be happy you don't own a Huskie or Malamute. I house sit for Malamutes and brush them on the dock. The river turns white and looks like it has icebergs. I'm grateful for Ecko's short coat.
Lmao- I have considered stuffing pillows with all the hair my husky sheds:hammer:

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Lmao- I have considered stuffing pillows with all the hair my husky sheds:hammer:
Spin it into yarn and make sweaters. LOL!
Pillow stuffing would be awesome except the pillows would smell like dog after awhile. LOL!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
haha with this weather changing in the north east so much my boy deems to be shedding his winter coat and growing it at the same time, lol. Stupid 60 one day and 10 the next lol. I feel bad for the trees and flowers that think its time to come out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so she is shedding now like crazy guys. She is anot 7 months. Ugh. What do I do to help this. I'm in NYC. And the weather has been up and down. Mostly cold. Rainy. I hear she may be shedding her summer coat. How long will this last. Do I have proof all of furniture and clothes? Is there a brush to help. Just help. Lol

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
You can try a kong rubber brush, or a horse curry comb, or almost any brush. You're looking at about 2 weeks to a month, sometimes longer. Add a little fish oil to her diet if you haven't already. It's really not that bad with short hair dogs like bull breeds. I've experienced double coated dogs, and THAT is the worst.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts