Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if a dog makes the papers not the papers the dog. Why would a ckc registered apbt not be a good choice as opposed to a ukc registered apbt? (just a question looking for opinions and answers not smart comments please)

· Premium Member
4,316 Posts
if a dog makes the papers not the papers the dog. Why would a ckc registered apbt not be a good choice as opposed to a ukc registered apbt? (just a question looking for opinions and answers not smart comments please)
See now this goes back to responsible breeding...
Of course there are great mutts and also purebreds who for whatever reason where not papered out there, but in my opinion there are way too many in the shelter for people to just indiscriminately breed any old dog without knowing what is behind it for example genetic disorders, temperament issues, horrible faults etc... Just because that individual dog is wonderful doesn't mean it's lines and genetics are and without papers you'd never know that. Allowing people to have full registration on un-papered dogs is a field day for BYBs from how I see it. An org who would just register any old dog as purebred without proof to me is out for $$$$ and not the best interest of any breed. Of course, that is just my feelings about it.

· Registered
135 Posts
In my opinion only, all registries are about the money. The difference is some are stricter than others. Some have more awareness, sports, and better information about the breed.
I do like UKC and ADBA because of their better track record on keeping records and points, plus they don't just register any dog. They seem to have more events as well.

I use a registry just to see the ancestors, and to keep track of future ancestors.

I've seen some crappy dogs out there (all kinds of breeds) that were registered with these 'better' registries, such as UKC and AKC.

I myself prefer to go with a dog that is UKC or ADBA, but if I was just looking for a pet.. didn't do sports or wasn't showing or breeding, I wouldn't care if my dog had CKC papers..

So think about your goals for your dog.

· Registered
135 Posts
See now this goes back to responsible breeding...
Of course there are great mutts and also purebreds who for whatever reason where not papered out there, but in my opinion there are way too many in the shelter for people to just indiscriminately breed any old dog without knowing what is behind it for example genetic disorders, temperament issues, horrible faults etc... Just because that individual dog is wonderful doesn't mean it's lines and genetics are and without papers you'd never know that. Allowing people to have full registration on un-papered dogs is a field day for BYBs from how I see it. An org who would just register any old dog as purebred without proof to me is out for $$$$ and not the best interest of any breed. Of course, that is just my feelings about it.
I also do agree with this post :)

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree as well with you. I just wondering because from my understanding ckc will in fact register anything, but from what I've seen the ukc has registered just about anything. I type apbt ukc in search engine and what comes up in pictures and kennels aren't what an apbt. I myself would like a ukc apbt because of the events I could participate but I think nowadays that's all ukc is good for.
In my opinion only, all registries are about the money. The difference is some are stricter than others. Some have more awareness, sports, and better information about the breed.
I do like UKC and ADBA because of their better track record on keeping records and points, plus they don't just register any dog. They seem to have more events as well.

I use a registry just to see the ancestors, and to keep track of future ancestors.

I've seen some crappy dogs out there (all kinds of breeds) that were registered with these 'better' registries, such as UKC and AKC.

I myself prefer to go with a dog that is UKC or ADBA, but if I was just looking for a pet.. didn't do sports or wasn't showing or breeding, I wouldn't care if my dog had CKC papers..

So think about your goals for your dog.

· The Yard Of Many Colors
3,422 Posts
I agree as well with you. I just wondering because from my understanding ckc will in fact register anything, but from what I've seen the ukc has registered just about anything. I type apbt ukc in search engine and what comes up in pictures and kennels aren't what an apbt. I myself would like a ukc apbt because of the events I could participate but I think nowadays that's all ukc is good for.
UKC quit their single registry with APBTs.. Even before the dog had to have four generations with a legitament registry :D

· Registered
783 Posts
Alot of American bully's are still only reg. with the UKC even though they dont conform to the standard same with ADBA.It jus depends if the breeder has dual reg. with the ABKC or not.The ABKC only accepts UKC & ADBA papers to dual reg.Thats why you may see UKC dogs who dont fit UKC standard.

· Pits Are For Chicks
16,347 Posts
The CKC will register a dog regardless of if it has a pedigree or not. In the UKC when you see the dogs that are obviously not APBT is because of paper hanging by lying breeders not because the UKC just registered anything that was sent in for single registration ( which is closed now as circle said).

· Registered
4,196 Posts
You can't rely on an internet image search to show you exactly what you're looking for. All that does is look for images in combination with the words you are searching. So if you were looking for a picture of a UKC APBT, it would show you a picture that came off a page that happened to have the words "UKC" and "APBT" in it. :)

A dog makes the papers; this is what they say. But I think a bare minimum should be legitimate registration. If all a dog has is CKC, then you don't even know what you're looking at, just what someone says it is. It is true that the legit registries have let in mixed breeds. Unfortunately, its all based on the honor system. I'd imagine even DNA recording could be falsified if somebody wanted to do this. What you have is your choice of the best of a bad lot. At the very least, UKC and ADBA:

1.) Hold actual events
2.) Have been around since the 1800s-early 1900s
3.) Require registration papers from another legit registry (in the case of a single register), not just somebody's word that said dog is purebred
4.) Use some of their profits to fight BSL
5.) Offer pedigree and database research and other services, not just take your money and give you a certificate.

ETA: Its not the UKC or the ADBA's job to decide if a dog meets the breed standard, except in the case of disqualifying faults maybe. In theory, the conformation shows they sanction are supposed to be what tells people whether or not their dog is breed standard.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your right ukc and adba have been around longer and the peds they offer are in fact more legit. so now is abkc more legit than the ckc or any other registry without the history of ukc and adba?( thanks everyone for the insight that's why I love this forum)
You can't rely on an internet image search to show you exactly what you're looking for. All that does is look for images in combination with the words you are searching. So if you were looking for a picture of a UKC APBT, it would show you a picture that came off a page that happened to have the words "UKC" and "APBT" in it. :)

A dog makes the papers; this is what they say. But I think a bare minimum should be legitimate registration. If all a dog has is CKC, then you don't even know what you're looking at, just what someone says it is. It is true that the legit registries have let in mixed breeds. Unfortunately, its all based on the honor system. I'd imagine even DNA recording could be falsified if somebody wanted to do this. What you have is your choice of the best of a bad lot. At the very least, UKC and ADBA:

1.) Hold actual events
2.) Have been around since the 1800s-early 1900s
3.) Require registration papers from another legit registry (in the case of a single register), not just somebody's word that said dog is purebred
4.) Use some of their profits to fight BSL
5.) Offer pedigree and database research and other services, not just take your money and give you a certificate.

ETA: Its not the UKC or the ADBA's job to decide if a dog meets the breed standard, except in the case of disqualifying faults maybe. In theory, the conformation shows they sanction are supposed to be what tells people whether or not their dog is breed standard.

· Registered
4,196 Posts
I would think that ABKC is probably the best that the American Bully has to offer right now. Its a registry just for that breed, and so automatically better than a registry that gives papers to Labradoodles. LOL! The AmBully and the ABKC are both still very young, and should continue to get better I would hope.

· ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,702 Posts
Today I was looking for rent houses in the classifieds. I always like to look at the dog's just for fun. I saw some dogs that were ADBA and CKC. I just wondered what the purpose was in even registering CKC with dogs that were already ADBA, because I know you can't get ADBA papers on a CKC dog so it has to be CKC on an ADBA dog. I would run far far from that.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would think that ABKC is probably the best that the American Bully has to offer right now. Its a registry just for that breed, and so automatically better than a registry that gives papers to Labradoodles. LOL! The AmBully and the ABKC are both still very young, and should continue to get better I would hope.
Now I would hardly say that because they register labradoodles makes them worse than abkc .the labradoodle has been around far longer than the am bully And who's to say that isn't the best they have to offer for labradoodles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.